Does anyone know much about Luton vans? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am going to be buying and converting a Luton van next.

I have a few questions.

The main one is this. How interchangeable are the boxes?
For example will a Box off a Ford fit on an Iveco, or a box off a Merc fit on a Fiat?

ok. Reasoning. I am looking at a Luton for 2 main reason.
Nice big square box is easier to build in than a panel van.
If the van lets me down I can swap the box onto a different chassis.

If the boxes are interchangeable I won't be too fussy about my first van and pay more attention to the box. I have the space and means to swap boxes here so I am not bothered about the actual swapping if it becomes necessary.

Thanks in advance.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I recall you mentioning this a couple of years back so hope you get to finally do it. šŸ™ƒ

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I've driven a few, years back, not aerodynamic and you lose usable space above cab. We were parked next to a converted transit last year, the couple needed big steps to get in and out. Also lost space at chassis height where we would have lockers.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Much easier to get a flatbed and a caravan.
You could have it all up and running in a weekend!

1723663664617.png

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I've driven a few, years back, not aerodynamic and you lose usable space above cab. We were parked next to a converted transit last year, the couple needed big steps to get in and out. Also lost space at chassis height where we would have lockers.
Usable space above the cab is not an issue. Won't be used to do huge miles.

The space below the box can be used to suspend things like grey tanks, storage boxes etc.

The height of the boxes means I can also put a false floor in and still do very thick insulation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
I do think a Luton van with AWD would make a good rustic expedition type camper and like you mentioned could be a good space for a conversion.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Not 100% decided on that yet. But I have the means to build a walk through anyway. Not a major job.
Think it would be given that the Luton floor is higher than the cab floor and tends to vibrate quite a bit. Doable I imagine but not easy.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
I have often thought the food delivery vans or fridge van(insulation)thats similar to Luton van would be an interesting conversion also. I think the modern Luton van has an aerodynamic triangle thingy above cab now.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Would the Luton be sufficiently rigid enough to be lifted off the chassis fully converted ?

They always seem like the ultimate wobbly boxes to me
Yes, I have seen one on youtube where his subframe mounts and chassis rails were rotting. He swapped his box over using pallets and 2 forklifts.

As for wobbly boxes. i think the lightweight aluminium ones with with the fibreglass roof are fairly wobbly. But the plywood ones seem pretty solid.
I will be skinning the roof and removing the rear door and fitting a solid panel on the back. this will stiffen it up a LOT.

I am not concerned about that to be honest.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Think it would be given that the Luton floor is higher than the cab floor and tends to vibrate quite a bit. Doable I imagine but not easy.
This is not a van that I will be doing lots of miles in. It is basically my home on wheels. I will be keeping my little van/camper conversion for wizzing around in.
The big van will only be driven when I am going anywhere for weeks at a time. I am not concerned about mpg, vibrations or comfort in the cab area.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Yeah plenty of space for gas bottles and industrial type storage, sounds like a great idea...get it done...you only live once.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I had a Sprinter Luton van for a while. It had full aero side skirts and an aerodynamic Luton bit too. I hung a few lockers below the bed and fibreglassed in doors I made from the side skirts cut outs. Mine was for carrying my race car and we towed a caravan behind.

There are very different approaches adopted by the coach builders for the Luton boxes so choose carefully as the right one would be rigid enough and very transferable.

The biggest issue is sorting the roof which are almost always just thin fibreglass to allow light in. Will need some work to strengthen for solar, Maxairs etc.

PS: have a look at true blue travellers on YouTube. They converted a refrigerated Sainsburyā€™s Luton van. Heā€™s quite a talented fabricator. They are doing a 6 wheel drive pop top build at the moment. TBH - Good content for a converter!

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I had a Sprinter Luton van for a while. It had full aero side skirts and an aerodynamic Luton bit too. I hung a few lockers below the bed and fibreglassed in doors I made from the side skirts cut outs. Mine was for carrying my race car and we towed a caravan behind.

There are very different approaches adopted by the coach builders for the Luton boxes so choose carefully as the right one would be rigid enough and very transferable.

The biggest issue is sorting the roof which are almost always just thin fibreglass to allow light in. Will need some work to strengthen for solar, Maxairs etc.

PS: have a look at true blue travellers on YouTube. They converted a refrigerated Sainsburyā€™s Luton van. Heā€™s quite a talented fabricator. They are doing a 6 wheel drive pop top build at the moment. TBH - Good content for a converter!
Yes - I was impressed with their Sainsbury's home delivery van conversion too. Seem a fairly down to earth and "normal" couple too - by YouTube standards!

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks. I will be skinning the roof with a roll of prepainted alumium coil. I did look at this quite some time ago so memory if not great on it. But seem to recall the cost wasn't too bad.
The other alternative would be to reskin with plastic. I have the capability to weld HDPE sheets and have a good supplier for those.

The solar panels would be mounted to a rack fixed to the aluminium extrusions along the sides and back.

Still very early days though.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Would the Luton be sufficiently rigid enough to be lifted off the chassis fully converted ?
The wood ones are pretty darned rigid by the looks of things :p I know this is a bigger version but same construction.

:ROFLMAO:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

I have a few questions.

For example will a Box off a Ford fit on an Iveco, or a box off a Merc fit on a Fiat?

If the boxes are interchangeable I won't be too fussy about my first van and pay more attention to the box. I have the space and means to swap boxes here so I am not bothered about the actual swapping if it becomes necessary.

Thanks in advance.

I watch the series of build videos that these guys did in converting a Luton bodied delivery van.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I watch the series of build videos that these guys did in converting a Luton bodied delivery van.

Yup saw that one thanks.

I have been on the Luton idea for 6,7 or maybe even 8 years now. Put the plans on for quite a bit, but back on them now.
Bit of an odd bod, but the guy who springs to mind who probably made me really go for it was Richard from Beyond the Van.
He did a pretty nice conversion with some nice ideas in it. Also converted a trailer into a workshop+++ which is probably how I found him.

Been a while and not seen much of him in years.

Apr 7, 2022
34390 Saint-Ɖtienne-d'Albagnan, France
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 70
Exp

I have a few questions.

Thanks in advance.
I don't know, but I would imagine the box would be talor made for the chasis, unless for some reason the van manufacturers have agreed on a standard, just a few cm either way on wheelbase would make a big difference.

It is probably becouse of this that most manufacturers make there own rear chasis, then just attach a cab, then there is only a slight design change to marry up the camper part to which ever cab they are using.

But this is all supposition.

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
Look at a high cube one more like a removal van already skirted and integrated but still on the same chassis a lot less work

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back