Do you weigh your LPG bottles? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
I failed to do this recently and I got caught out.
I bought a supposedly full LPG bottle and carried on on my journey. when I came to change the bottle something inside me said it felt a bit light. only then did I weigh it. it was around 1 kg short of what it was supposed to have been. Expensive lesson.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I bought a supposedly full LPG bottle and carried on on my journey. when I came to change the bottle something inside me said it felt a bit light. only then did I weigh it. it was around 1 kg short of what it was supposed to have been. Expensive lesson.
Remember they only fill to 80% full
And LPG weighs about 0.5kg per litre
Also the weight of the empty bottle is surprisingly not consistent, as different batches are built to different specifications.

That said, the weight should be as marked on the tin.

OP
OP
steve69
May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
Remember they only fill to 80% full
And LPG weighs about 0.5kg per litre
Also the weight of the empty bottle is surprisingly not consistent, as different batches are built to different specifications.

That said, the weight should be as marked on the tin.
It is a 4.5 kg bottle. Taking the tare weight on the steel collar into account, using a spring balance I estimate there's only 3.5 kg of gas in it .

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It would never have occurred to me but a good point to make. From your later post you're 20%short.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I've posted a couple of times after receiving and investigating underweight Calor bottles. Here's just one of them from 3 years ago...........

I recently posted about consistently underweight bottles and Calor's and the local authority Weights and Measures Dep't findings here:
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...r-propane-cylinder.194810/page-2#post-4490013

However, yesterday I needed a 6kg propane refill and knowing they are scarce I phoned 4 Calor stockists (one said they had one so I drove 18 miles to find that they didn't have any, in fact the yard guy said he'd forgotten what they look like). Once bitten and instead of phoning I visited around 9 more including garages, garden centres and hardware stores, all showing the 'Calor sold here' signs but without luck.
I then phoned Jeffersons main Calor distribution centre at Shoreham harbour, 17 miles away, who had two so I paid there and then by phone (£30) and went and exchanged mine.
From past experience of underweight bottles (see link above) I decided to weigh it when home. Full 9.8kg, Tare 4.6kg (Neck collar stamped 10 - 02 (= 10lbs 2ozs = 4.6kg.). Therefore the gas content was 5.2kg not 6kg.
When I spoke to Ben at Jeffersons he apologised and said he would put a fiver credit on my account. He also said that he used to work in the filling centre where all returned bottles were purged of any residual gas, pressure tested and a new Tare weight neck collar was stamped and fitted after weighing.
I think some of us are being diddled.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back