Do you usually pay more for an Automatic motorhome (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just look at the market. If there is an automatic that has a discount against manual gearbox or partity it could be a sign that demand is low because of reliability concerns!

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's all part of the chassis package on the IVECO daily based Morelo's, I can't imagine anybody ordering the standard van with manual to be fair, so really it's just a way of keeping the base price down :unsure:

Chassis package IVECO Daily

• Engine version C 21, 152 kW / 207 HP
  • Technically permissible max. weight 7.200 kg (65 C 18), 7.490 KG (70 C 18)- ZF 8-gear torque converter transmission
  • Leather steering wheel with multifunctional buttons (not removable)
  • Air conditioning in driver's cab
  • Electrical and technical preparation for trailer coupling
  • Engine heat exchanger
  • Differential lock for rear axle

15.830,00 €

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
30 Rock Yes GIF by ADWEEK

Upvote 0
Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Do you normally as a rule have to pay more for a Automatic compared to a manual
Depends on model, there are models which are sold and percentage wise 90% is auto and 10% manual, so price difference is no longer there,
It has become that as standard the vehicle is automatic and the manual is a no cost option👍 more and more people only want auto, I will never go back to a manual box🤷🏻‍♂️

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I haven't owned a manual gearbox, apart from motorbikes, for over 35 years. Back then it made finding cars more difficult and expensive, by the time we came back to a camper there was more choice but still more expensive. Cars have now become easier to find and I'm sure in the future manual gearboxes will disappear. Having driven most of my life in a work van with manual, now that the mpg is at least as good and often better, with auto I can't think of any reason to prefer manual

Upvote 0
Apr 7, 2014
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLI 580
Exp
Since 2002
If you’re going to France and not using toll roads then an automatic is essential. That is unless you like changing gear every 30 seconds for the ever changing speed limits, roundabouts in the middle of nowhere, chicanes etc. I do love France though.

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
I would much prefer a manual over an auto, guess that just make me ‘different’! 🤪
Quite a number of us 'different' people.

If we had ordered our motorhome from new, I would have specced manual.
It has the advantage of not only being cheaper but also considerably lighter, so you can increase your payload.

From a personal perspective I can see why the base vehicles are normally specced as automatics as they are used for short delivery runs in urban areas.
But a MoHo typically does long distances in non urban areas, so a manual gearbox would always be my first choice.

On a MoHo I see an automatic box as a Downgrade, not an upgrade.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Quite a number of us 'different' people.

If we had ordered our motorhome from new, I would have specced manual.
It has the advantage of not only being cheaper but also considerably lighter, so you can increase your payload.

From a personal perspective I can see why the base vehicles are normally specced as automatics as they are used for short delivery runs in urban areas.
But a MoHo typically does long distances in non urban areas, so a manual gearbox would always be my first choice.

On a MoHo I see an automatic box as a Downgrade, not an upgrade.
With the old Comfortmatic, I might agree with you, but not the ZF 9 speed.

The weight penalty of the gearbox is less than 20kg... Although you normally have to add the maxi chassis too, so it ends up being about 50kg. I guess if you're trying to squeeze into 3500kg, it makes a difference.

If you're doing distance, the auto box is quite a bit more efficient. And even on UK motorways, I'm cog swapping back to 5th fairly frequently. So I'd much prefer the ZF 9.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Modern auto boxes with 9 gears are more efficient, it's almost impossible to select the correct gear every time manually with 9 to pick from. Even when I had my work van with 6 gears unless it's all you think about you will often be in the wrong gear, it's very easy not to notice the engine over revving, the auto will keep it to below 2500 rpm unless under high load.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Will we all need to review our thinking next year when all of the non premium skeletal chassis' will be supplied with Stellantis' new 8 speed including the Boxer & Relay? Ford are switching to 8 speed too.

How will this work out with the Multijet IV?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back