Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
If you own an Autotrail PVC, such as a Fairford, Expedition, V-Line if so can you confirm from your V5 what it is registered as ’Van with windows’ Or Motor Caravan.
I ask as like many others who have tried to get a converted Panel van re-registered as a Motor caravan but refused by DVLA who will only change to Van with Windows.
My external design mirrors an Autotrail but it’s not been accepted.
If I can get sufficient evidence I want to appeal.

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
If you own an Autotrail PVC, such as a Fairford, Expedition, V-Line if so can you confirm from your V5 what it is registered as ’Van with windows’ Or Motor Caravan.
I ask as like many others who have tried to get a converted Panel van re-registered as a Motor caravan but refused by DVLA who will only change to Van with Windows.
My external design mirrors an Autotrail but it’s not been accepted.
If I can get sufficient evidence I want to appeal.
It'll stay a panel van with windows as the base vehicle wasn't imported into the UK to be used as a PVC. That came in back in 2012 with whole and individual vehicle type approval.

When we ordered Renault Master panel vans for conversion alterations were made to each vehicle on the production line and equally they could not be registered as panel vans with or without windows.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
It'll stay a panel van with windows as the base vehicle wasn't imported into the UK to be used as a PVC. That came in back in 2012 with whole and individual vehicle type approval.

When we ordered Renault Master panel vans for conversion alterations were made to each vehicle on the production line and equally they could not be registered as panel vans with or without windows.
That’s odd, as there was a guy recently who did a self conversion to a Ducato panel van and after a lot of kicking and screaming, got his registered as a Motor Caravan and was awarded compensation for his troubles so some can get it but because Autotrail in particular because they use auto windows not Perspex caravan windows.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
That’s odd, as there was a guy recently who did a self conversion to a Ducato panel van and after a lot of kicking and screaming, got his registered as a Motor Caravan and was awarded compensation for his troubles so some can get it but because Autotrail in particular because they use auto windows not Perspex caravan windows.
What does the log book say currently?

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
You'll also need to send photo evidence along with a V1006 form.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
You'll also need to send photo evidence along with a V1006 form.
I did all that internal and external photos along with detailed photos of fixed plumbing, beds cooking facilities, Awning in casing and awning extended, pictures of EHU and water covers etc.

Upvote 0
Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
I've got an Autotrail Expedition 66 PVC in black. It is registered as a Motor Caravan on the V5, despite the very discreet graphics. 👍

The PVC in your avatar Otter Spotter looks more like an Autocruise than an Autotrail with it's fixed glass windows rather than the opening caravan-style plastic windows on the Autotrail.

PXL_20240204_131454612~2.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Otter Spotter
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
I've got an Autotrail Expedition 66 PVC in black. It is registered as a Motor Caravan on the V5, despite the very discreet graphics. 👍

The PVC in your avatar Otter Spotter looks more like an Autocruise than an Autotrail with it's fixed glass windows rather than the opening caravan-style plastic windows on the Autotrail.

View attachment 868985
Yes you may be right, wrong name, diffo auto glass windows. When I queried their determination their answer was that my van could look to the Police like a minibus ! What with an Awning fitted and no visible companies decals eg. DC’s coaches etc. So why Van with windows? Couldn’t answer that. I think the issue is that many if the staff during and post Covid are still working from home and there is no joined up thinking or overall agreed rules amongst the DVLA staff.

Upvote 0

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I converted my van in 2017,used as a work van whilst renovating my house,it says motor caravan on the v5. It's harder to get this now without a fight DVLA are stubborn and clueless about this nowadays.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back