Discover the Google app for scanning your old photos (1 Viewer)

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
I expect I'm the last to find the Google app "Photoscan".
It's a very simple to use app which scans your old traditional photos with yur smart phone and uploads them to Google Photos.
good find just downloaded it i will pay later (y)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I bought a Kodak gizmo that scans and digitises directly from negatives. Or slides. Easy peasy. I converted all my late dad's photos and slides; next I digitised my own. All now organised into folders on my laptop and backed up externally. A great archive.

The best thing is not relying on google's cloud for storage, and google not having access to all those precious images for nefarious purposes.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
What I hate about such google apps is their need to bury in their T&Cs that you agree to, that you give permission to them to store and use your photos and data as they see fit

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I bought a Kodak gizmo that scans and digitises directly from negatives. Or slides. Easy peasy. I converted all my late dad's photos and slides; next I digitised my own. All now organised into folders on my laptop and backed up externally. A great archive.

The best thing is not relying on google's cloud for storage, and google not having access to all those precious images for nefarious purposes.
Any details of the Kodak gizmo please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I did all my old photos on a scanner and sorted them into folders. It did take a lot of hours over a few weeks. When I got my first computer in the 90's I planned to do it when I retired but I was surprised at how long it took.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

Agreed and Google will probably now ‘Own’ those images, give as little data away as possible to these leaches, as they say there is no such thing as a free meal.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I did all my old photos on a scanner and sorted them into folders. It did take a lot of hours over a few weeks. When I got my first computer in the 90's I planned to do it when I retired but I was surprised at how long it took.
I also did that with photos for which the negatives are no longer to be found. For example very old family photos from my grandad's generation. It is a bit time-consuming. They are saved in pdf instead of jpeg format.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I lay out about 10 photos at a time on the flatbed scanner. The crop each image out and save to a folder with suitable naming. Helps to keep on top of the image library as you go. A negative scanner does one at a time so takes.much longer. When mother in law died I scanned a suitcase full over 2 days. Uploaded to dropbox and shared with family across the world. People were discussing the photos at the funeral and the wake. It helped keep family as far away as Australia feel included in the celebration of her long life

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I also did that with photos for which the negatives are no longer to be found. For example very old family photos from my grandad's generation. It is a bit time-consuming. They are saved in pdf instead of jpeg format.
I saved them as jpegs, some time ago I converted some pictures to pdf and found it had cropped some of them, so as space is not an issue these days I stuck with jpeg

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
On a similar vein I have loads of old standard 8 cine films but no projector to find what’s on them. Any ideas? Will happily pay to have some digitized but not the lot!

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
I also just take a photo of the photo with my phone. We had some old slides, & I put them in a viewer & took a photo. Could you play the fine films & just video it on your phone?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
On a similar vein I have loads of old standard 8 cine films but no projector to find what’s on them. Any ideas? Will happily pay to have some digitized but not the lot!
try snappysnaps they do a range of media conversions including film. Scroll down the page on the link.

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Thanks for that, I might talk to them in a shop but the vast majority of my films are unlabelled. I cannot play them as I have no projector. I remember my Dad had an editor gadget whereby a film could be reeled by hand and an image obtained on a tiny screen. If I had one of those at least I could see what’s on the films and choose which to have professionally digitised.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
There are projectors on eBay around £30. Maybe buy one use it to check your movies and then resell it.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I'm interested as got loads of my dad's.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Thanks for that, I might talk to them in a shop but the vast majority of my films are unlabelled. I cannot play them as I have no projector. I remember my Dad had an editor gadget whereby a film could be reeled by hand and an image obtained on a tiny screen. If I had one of those at least I could see what’s on the films and choose which to have professionally digitised.
Have a chat with them in the shop they may be able to help, they are part of the Timpson group and if it’s possible for you to view first they would let you know.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
This thread reminded me that I have about 15x 400ft reels of 8mm cine that I want to digitise.

I have discovered this company and am going to sent some as a trial.

Yorick

Cine transfer

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I frequently see super 8 and standard 8 projectors and screens on facebook marketplace and locally for pretty much nothing. People find them in the loft and they are of little use these days. Just project on a plain wall to scan through and find the ones you want to copy. Be careful with some really old film stock as it is very flammable

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've thought about buying a cine camera and playing against white wall and film it with my camera.
But remember many, many times my dad splicing/gluing the film after it broke.
I'm scared that 60 year old films will be brittle.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I've thought about buying a cine camera and playing against white wall and film it with my camera.
But remember many, many times my dad splicing/gluing the film after it broke.
I'm scared that 60 year old films will be brittle.
IF you can get them to unroll without crumbling is the first nightmare. Then you are mechanically pulling them over rollers as you simultaneously heat the old cellulose tape with a very hot bulb. It was fun when they were reasonably fresh years ago

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007

I sent my dad's standard 8mm home movies away in batches to be digitised. They go back to the 1950s. I split the cost with my brother. Worth it to revisit childhood memories and see long departed family members again. Although I have his old projector and folding screen, I prefer the convenience of seeing the films on my laptop whenever I want.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back