Dinghy (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 30, 2022
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68
I have just taken up dinghy sailing (solo) and want to use my Motorhome (AS Nuevo) for travelling with it. I have a tow bar but think there are two restrictions to this idea.

1 the mast on the trailer sticks out a long way
IMG_4582.jpeg

2. I want to carry an e-bike as well

I was thinking about attaching the mast on the roof somehow, not sure

3. I was thinking about getting a fiamma bike rack on the back but not sure of the weight restrictions

What are your thoughts? Any examples?

Regards

BOOMEL

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
17 fun filled years
Could you fit some sort of bike rack on the dingy trailer?

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Why not have the mast sticking out of the back to reduce the amount it projects at the front!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I would find some way a carrying it on the roof , many people carry surf boards and canoes on their roofs.
Just find a decent set of carry brackets.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
A permitted overhang of 3.05m is OK but you will need a trailer board fitted, as others have said the roof may be a better option.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Newton Abbot, UK
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Would replacing the mast stand at the front with a taller one solve the problem to avoid snagging the rear of the Motorhome. Without knowing the specifics it might then be too tall

Sep 13, 2016
Okehampton
Funster No
MH
Swift Mondial
Exp
Since 2016
My nieces did competitive sailing (420 class) all over Europe and parents towed the boat behind the van. I think they extended the mast rest at the front to increase the angle so it cleared the van

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If you raise the angle of the mast be careful of low bridges it would be very easy to forget! I think I'd try to fit the bike in the dinghy somehow.
Ours could be more difficult to tow!
IMG_20240615_230259.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2009
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
Roller Team
Exp
Since 2009
Did it for years with daughters 420, mast stuck out of back with extended light board, if you are not racing the solo look at buying an old mast cutting it in half and sleaving it at the join. I think r/s feva masts are done with a join. Or I could fit some masts inside motorhome through back window. Another option if the trailer is a Mersey 220 try a Mersey 275 (base) wayfarer size. Gives longer for mast and put bikes between boat and mast support. Just ideas

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I have just taken up dinghy sailing (solo) and want to use my Motorhome (AS Nuevo) for travelling with it. I have a tow bar but think there are two restrictions to this idea.

1 the mast on the trailer sticks out a long way View attachment 932106

2. I want to carry an e-bike as well

I was thinking about attaching the mast on the roof somehow, not sure

3. I was thinking about getting a fiamma bike rack on the back but not sure of the weight restrictions

What are your thoughts? Any examples?

Regards

BOOMEL

Why not have the mast sticking out of the back to reduce the amount it projects at the front!

Worried that someone will go into the mast
I towed an 18 foot Osprey behind the van for many years and risked the overhang with flourescent markers and a red flashing cycle light. A bit risky as the carbon mast was about £2000. A friend had a Roller Team and stowed his mast on the roof

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Is there no such think as a two piece carbon fibre mast?
I had one…… but not in a good way 🤪. A two piece mast would have all the wrong bend characteristics and unless every other boat in the fleet (think laser/ILCA dinghies) had one you would simply not be competitive. The correct mast bend dictates sail profile for any particular point of sailing and thus speed.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I would find some way a carrying it on the roof , many people carry surf boards and canoes on their roofs.
Just find a decent set of carry brackets.
And find a way of deploying it on the motorway with the wind behind you and you’ll save ££££’s in fuel.

Worked for Captain Jack Sparrow 🏴‍☠️

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Brilliant class Solos - I used to sail one at Chew Valley Lake where there was a large fleet.
I'd be thinking of making a sling of some sort along the passenger side of the motor home using nylon straps through the windows etc. I used a similar set up towing my solo behind my land rover as if the mast was stowed in a crutch it fouled the back of the the Landie.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Brilliant class Solos - I used to sail one at Chew Valley Lake where there was a large fleet.
I'd be thinking of making a sling of some sort along the passenger side of the motor home using nylon straps through the windows etc. I used a similar set up towing my solo behind my land rover as if the mast was stowed in a crutch it fouled the back of the the Landie.
Quite a few So-slows at my old club as well

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I would say put the mast on the motorhome roof.

Would the bike go inside the motorhome?

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Ouch! But at least no one has said "Ah Solo - Old man's laser aren't they".
No they flaming aren't!!!! 😬
Oooooh…. Forgot that insult!😉 The streaker holds that prize.

Gave up laser sailing as I found them unpleasant to race. Did enjoy watching all the solos pile in on gusty reaches where the helm wasn’t quick enough to get the weight back before the gust hits

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
If you want tricky single-handers, try International Moths! They were still waterborne when I was racing them though. Nowadays they look downright suicidal. As for the mast, could you fabricate a couple of brackets to attach to either the van or a wind-out awning? Moving masts is always tricky. I once collected a yacht mast on a boat trailer, utilising an old chair at the back of the trailer as the aft support for the overhang of about five feet. The rest overhung the tow car!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
If you want tricky single-handers, try International Moths! They were still waterborne when I was racing them though. Nowadays they look downright suicidal. As for the mast, could you fabricate a couple of brackets to attach to either the van or a wind-out awning? Moving masts is always tricky. I once collected a yacht mast on a boat trailer, utilising an old chair at the back of the trailer as the aft support for the overhang of about five feet. The rest overhung the tow car!
Yes, great fun watching them doing a winter series, the wand used to get a build up of ice and then splosh!
I collected a new carbon Osprey mast from Derby by attaching it to the roof rack and tying hi vis at each end. How I never got done, I do not know…..

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
What about two of these and a couple of ratchet straps and attach them to the side of the Moho? Up high above all the door openings?

IMG_0205.png

ManTheVan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2020
South Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido C class
Exp
Yottie convert
It’s possible to fit a bike carrier that leaves the towball free for towing. There’s a bracket that bolts on behind the tow ball and this carries the bike rack. We used to tow a trailer tent and carry bikes. I still have the bike rack (Witter IIRC) but don’t use it any longer…

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I doubt that the weight of the mast exceeds that of an unsupported, half out awning. Consider using the awning keder groove and two or three tie-down fittings.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Seeing as you have a PVC you'll have lugs on the roof on the side opposite your awning so using those and some roof clamps you should be able to mount the mast on the roof assuming it's not too long.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back