Diesel Filter Haemorrhage!!! (1 Viewer)

SnJ

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
NuL, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
2009 Autotrail Dakota
Well we went to leave for Cornish Farm yesterday, planned trip to go to Vanbitz to sort the alarm out.
Packed the MH, started it, let it warm up, took it off the drive, parked it on the road, turned it off, Jue packed some more bits, started it up to go.......and the filter suddenly ruptured peeing diesel everywhere. :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear: :swear:
Turned it off and couldn't find the leak....(had a similar issue on a 141 Scania back in '91 - pin hole but only evident when the engine was running)
Mad 30 mins removing it (easy job tbh) contactied my colleague, who is our workshop supervisor, a walking encyclopaedia for all things Fiat Ducato, for advice on where to get a replacement.
Big shout out to Jason at Sherwoods, Stoke on Trent for sourcing a complete unit........in Nottingham! :whatthe:
Mad dash across the A50 & back & a 5 minute fit, primed once, fired straight up - no issues!!
3 hours late departing but we eventually arrived in Taunton.
Massive thanks to Les at Cornish Farm for sorting out the pitch & Nick & guys at Vanbitz for sorting the alarm system out....
:drinks:
Homeward bound again

I thought this MH lark was meant to be relaxing....:giggler:

Attachments

• Diesel Filter.jpg
    Diesel Filter.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 111

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Aye that’s the bugger. I now carry a spare one. As you said 5 minute job providing you have one.
Glad you got sorted.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Glad to hear you got it sorted but surely you could have sourced it closer to home ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
SnJ

SnJ

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
NuL, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
2009 Autotrail Dakota
Glad to hear you got it sorted but surely you could have sourced it closer to home ?
It's a 09 van and Sherwoods are a main Fiat supplier (supply us at WMAS). I may have sourced one but we were on a schedule and needed to be at Vanbitz for our appointment today.
Worth it in the end....

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I hope you didn't pay the crazy £289 fiat charge for it.

Only one company makes them so they are all the same and available from £69

I got fleeced with this myself as the garage doing my service broke mine denied it and then fitted one from fiat at £289

Sep 1, 2018
Strathaven
Funster No
MH
Pilote G741
Exp
Since 2018
What year of fiat does this affect, (I have a 2018) , i if I thought it could happen at anytime I would carry another one

Apr 25, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Scotch mist - ours is 2011. I think models from approx 2012 onwards were changed to a metal canister filter.

OP
OP
SnJ

SnJ

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
NuL, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
2009 Autotrail Dakota
What year of fiat does this affect, (I have a 2018) , i if I thought it could happen at anytime I would carry another one
Have inspected tonight using a magnifying glass when we got back.
I can't find a crack in it.
Personally I think the seal let go.
I am going to put all back together and pressure test it.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Had one go on our 07 ducato at home , luckily I had a spare that I had bought after reading on the forums here about their weakness.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The "plastic" Fiat filters are quite well known for this. It is apparently the tightening torque needed to make a seal without overstressing the unit. There is a "proper" tool for the job. but many service agents are prone to use "other methods".

Somewhere on here is a protracted "dissertation" on the subject.

Have a Look at this thread:- https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...el-filter-replacing-in-pictures-part-i.79560/

Lots of info on this type of filter. and a Link to the correct tool. HOWEVER the filters and housings can be had "online" for under £100. (not the 250+ asked by Fiat) and are produced in the same factory (Poland?) the tool cost me about £15 on Flea bay and is the same as the more expensive item, and is the best way to ensure you get a good seal without risk of future leaks.

Deleted User
Have inspected tonight using a magnifying glass when we got back.
I can't find a crack in it.
Personally I think the seal let go.
I am going to put all back together and pressure test it.

The push in connectors failed on ours a couple of months ago, fortunately I carry a spare complete unit.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
They are a bugger are they not.
I serviced mine with the correct fixture and torque (30nm) but it still leaked about 4 months after fitting.
Like many , carry a spare.
When I tested the old one again in the fixture , it went about 6mm of rim circumference further than the first time. This I think indicates to me they fail due to 'creep'. In other words the filled resin they are made of just moves slightly under load.
Or maybe the seal just gives up.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Just wondered
All these filters allegedly broken by the trade
are they making house calls now to break em on your drives:rofl::rofl::rofl:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Just wondered

I dont think anyone is condemning the "trade", but lets face it IF you fit one of these every "Blue Moon", would you necessarily purchase a piece of kit you may never use again?, when (in theory at least) it should be easy to make the seal without it?. I personally feel there is an issue with the quality of the seals, the one I removed was very "softened" by comparison with the new one supplied with the filter. Had it been a petrol filter, I would suspect the use of Ethanol as an additive, as there is a known issue there. (R9 hose is only recommended for cars using E10, Older cars have issues with hose failure)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I know £62 to replace the entire housing rather than just the cartridge is extravagant but it seems the only foolproof method

I have the cage and tool in my workshop but the design of the housing and seal is still not right

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I know £62 to replace the entire housing rather than just the cartridge is extravagant but it seems the only foolproof method

I have the cage and tool in my workshop but the design of the housing and seal is still not right

You could well be right. However, do the manufacturers use the correct equipment too?.

OP
OP
SnJ

SnJ

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
NuL, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
2009 Autotrail Dakota
So speaking to my Workshop Chargehand he states that unless you have a really dry housing you will have an issue with the seal. He said that if diesel gets on to the seal it won't work effectively.

Anyone now how much a replacement filter & seal is???

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Just wondered
Mines was broken by the trade for sure as it had no diesel leak when it went in for a service but mysteriously developed one while he was servicing it. He then fitted one without informing me first and added £289 +vat to my service bill for the privelidge

The first I was made aware of the alleged leak was at 17.15pm when I went to collect the vehicle he had had since 9am

Basically wasn't getting the van back without paying it.

Even as an ex mechanic I don't bloody trust them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
So speaking to my Workshop Chargehand he states that unless you have a really dry housing you will have an issue with the seal. He said that if diesel gets on to the seal it won't work effectively.

Anyone now how much a replacement filter & seal is???
under £10 but its a lottery when, not if it leaks

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
If you want a totally dry housing there is no reason not to wash it in hot soapy water in the sink. Some people have suggested lubricating the seal but I have never advocated this as it is not suggested in service instructions. 5yrs since doing mine and no leaks

Reactions: SnJ
OP
OP
SnJ

SnJ

Free Member
Feb 25, 2018
NuL, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
2009 Autotrail Dakota
I must admit, I listen to my workshop mechanics and take their advice on what to do.
All our fleet are Ducatos and have been for the past 20+ years.
They've seen it all and have an extensive knowledge on faults etc

I'll have a look on t'internet & get a filter & seal and keep them in reserve....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back