Dentistry for dogs in France/Spain Is it Cheaper than UK? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Having made a comment on another thread about Ruby never having been to a vet for health issues at 14. I obviously jinxed it.
£160 for examination and antibiotics as she has sneezed on and off for a few week and it has turned greenish.
But now the vet is recommending extractions of teeth with an estimate of £800.

These figures I find quite staggering to be honest although not surprising

Now as we are allowed back in Europe in mid August for 8 weeks I'm wondering if it would be cheaper in France / Spain ?

Ruby has a French passport and we normally have her injections done in France as they are cheaper than here.

Has anyone had any vets do dentistry on their dogs and was it cheaper than UK?

Thanks in advance.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Our Friends had both their Chihuahua's teeth sorted in Spain at a real cost saving and got quite a few other bits sorted including Spanish passports a lot less that the UK where their costs were double what you've been quoted to less that that

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Our Friends had both their Chihuahua's teeth sorted in Spain at a real cost saving and got quite a few other bits sorted including Spanish passports a lot less that the UK where their costs were double what you've been quoted to less that that
So long as the antibiotics work now I’m thinking of Spain as most things there are cheaper.
Ruby is eating fine and has no pain from her teeth at the moment so not a rush hopefully. We will also be able have time in the area for her recovery.

TheBig1

Deceased RIP
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Take a good look yourself in her mouth. I know of far too many vets pull teeth unnecessarily. Tartar can be cleaned nearly as quick as pulling teeth and there is little to heal. If the gums are receding badly too, they may well be loose anyway

Dec 28, 2017
Loughborough
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Had our dog’s teeth cleaned in Spain in March this year €140 they clipped her claws as well while she was under.Our vet here in Uk wanted £420.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Take a good look yourself in her mouth. I know of far too many vets pull teeth unnecessarily. Tartar can be cleaned nearly as quick as pulling teeth and there is little to heal. If the gums are receding badly too, they may well be loose anyway
I agree. She said the infection could be from the tooth. Coming out from the nose. But that surely would mean she would have trouble eating. I don’t trust her to be honest
Had our dog’s teeth cleaned in Spain in March this year €140 they clipped her claws as well while she was under.Our vet here in Uk wanted £420.
Thanks for the info. Sounds good and saves the cost of the ferry as well (y)

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Haven't had dentistry done in Spain but xrays that a UK vet wanted 600 quid for cost less than 200 euros so fits the 1/3 example above.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
My 14 year old Shih Tzu is booked in for dentistry in a couple of weeks in France (where we live). I've had a devis for €350, way lower than it would've been in the UK. Veterinary care across the board in France is always much cheaper than the UK.

For those who don't know, in France you get a devis (quote) for a set highest price, meaning that you could pay less but not a cent more. My dog is going in to have her teeth cleaned but, after cleaning, if any prove to be loose in the cavity, she'll have them removed. The maximum I'll pay will be €350. The devis is signed by both parties and is legally binding.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
I had both my dogs teeth cleaned and 2 extractions done at a vet in Javea in September 2023. UK vet wanted £800 for each dog. Cost in Javea €130 for dog over 10kg and €110 for dog under 10kg.

I had also asked how much for same treatment in Ireland and was quoted similar price to Spain.

Another camper in Javea told me she was having her dogs teeth done in Belgium at a cost of €120. So a similar price across Europe. In the UK 3-4 times the price.

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
I agree. She said the infection could be from the tooth. Coming out from the nose. But that surely would mean she would have trouble eating. I don’t trust her to be honest

In fairness, some dogs can be incredibly stoic, so yours may have pain when eating but just not showing it. Either way, France and Spain are both far cheaper than the UK :)

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Can’t remember off the top of my head but had the 2 rabid Jacks down to have a teeth clean last year and they both had a fair few removed and I think it was around £300+ for each of them.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
3 weeks ago we paid £650 in Wales for a cavapoo teeth clean and 4 teeth out.
We were actually happy with that (new vet) as our normal (now old!) vet quoted £950.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Misty has had two lots of dental treatment in Portugal and yes it’s a lot cheaper. More important to us though is a good vet that genuinely cares about animals.

Her last treatment was a clean and 11 teeth out in the end and it cost less than €100 under a general including all drugs and aftercare. In the Uk it would have been well over £1000.

Add to this they did a full physical and made her the first op of the day so we would be able to bring her home the same day so she didn’t have the trauma of staying overnight.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
My 14 year old Shih Tzu is booked in for dentistry in a couple of weeks in France (where we live). I've had a devis for €350, way lower than it would've been in the UK. Veterinary care across the board in France is always much cheaper than the UK.

For those who don't know, in France you get a devis (quote) for a set highest price, meaning that you could pay less but not a cent more. My dog is going in to have her teeth cleaned but, after cleaning, if any prove to be loose in the cavity, she'll have them removed. The maximum I'll pay will be €350. The devis is signed by both parties and is legally binding.
Thank you for the information. At least you know where you stand with costs(y)
I had both my dogs teeth cleaned and 2 extractions done at a vet in Javea in September 2023. UK vet wanted £800 for each dog. Cost in Javea €130 for dog over 10kg and €110 for dog under 10kg.

I had also asked how much for same treatment in Ireland and was quoted similar price to Spain.

Another camper in Javea told me she was having her dogs teeth done in Belgium at a cost of €120. So a similar price across Europe. In the UK 3-4 times the price.
We generally use a vet in Rochefort. So I might email them for general costs. Having been down to Javea twice this year we might just make a 3rd visit. Do you have the name of the vets ?
In fairness, some dogs can be incredibly stoic, so yours may have pain when eating but just not showing it. Either way, France and Spain are both far cheaper than the UK :)
Yes. I know what you mean. I've checked around her mouth Etc but she doesn't flinch. (y)
Misty has had two lots of dental treatment in Portugal and yes it’s a lot cheaper. More important to us though is a good vet that genuinely cares about animals.

Her last treatment was a clean and 11 teeth out in the end and it cost less than €100 under a general including all drugs and aftercare. In the Uk it would have been well over £1000.

Add to this they did a full physical and made her the first op of the day so we would be able to bring her home the same day so she didn’t have the trauma of staying overnight.
I totally agree with you on the need for a caring vet. I think our vet was talking about 8 teeth but maybe more and that would push up the cost further.
They have you completely over an emotional barrel. If you don't have an alternative you have to pay whatever they say or watch your dog suffer. Then give you a condescending look for questioning the price.
I questioned the price of the antibiotic £50 for 14. when I got home looking online you can buy them for £1 each.
Do you have the vet name in Portugal ? As we are going again on a big tour hopefully after xmas and would be useful to know.
Thanks(y)

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Lizzie (one of our rescue dogs) had to have 6 out around 6 years ago. We were charged about €120 by our vet here in Almuñécar.
Thanks for the info.

It seems it will be much Better/cheaper to have treatment in France/Spain. We are going to come over anyway and the saving on vet fees will by the look of it cover the price of the ferry. (y)

Reactions: HKF
Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
If no teeth need removing have you heard of ultrasonic cleaning? My 12 year old cocker had horribly brown teeth. (They were cleaned at the vet’s several years ago at huge cost including an anaesthetic.) Lady appeared with smart van and cleaned the teeth on my drive for £85, no stress at all. Before and after photos amazing, Google ‘Doggy teeth cleaning’. This is in Essex but must be available elsewhere.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
If no teeth need removing have you heard of ultrasonic cleaning? My 12 year old cocker had horribly brown teeth. (They were cleaned at the vet’s several years ago at huge cost including an anaesthetic.) Lady appeared with smart van and cleaned the teeth on my drive for £85, no stress at all. Before and after photos amazing, Google ‘Doggy teeth cleaning’. This is in Essex but must be available elsewhere.
Thank you.
I have just searched and found one. I'll call them on Monday and see what they say. If no extraction required then a good clean might help. Do they put the dog out to do the teeth?

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
This was how it was described to me, definitely no anaesthetic.

I use ultrasound, which is noise and vibration free, all within a stressfree environment. I take my time ensuring they are relaxed throughout the process. I am fully mobile and carry out the clean from within my fully air-conditioned/ heated van. The dogs usually enjoy the process and frequently end with them falling asleep on my arms. No sedation or restrictive methods used, just patience from beginning to end 🐾🦷

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I totally agree with you on the need for a caring vet. I think our vet was talking about 8 teeth but maybe more and that would push up the cost further.
They have you completely over an emotional barrel. If you don't have an alternative you have to pay whatever they say or watch your dog suffer. Then give you a condescending look for questioning the price.
I questioned the price of the antibiotic £50 for 14. when I got home looking online you can buy them for £1 each.
Do you have the vet name in Portugal ? As we are going again on a big tour hopefully after xmas and would be useful to know.
It’s Clínica Veterinária do Parchal, she speaks good English and we’ve used her for a passport and rabies booster as well. There’s an aire nearby or mh parking at the Lidl as parking outside would be tricky.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I spent over £200 on an ultrasonic toothbrush and used it for months with no improvement at all! Despite lots of tips and advice. It seems to work brilliantly for some but not at all on others.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Not teeth I know……but.
Did anyone see the Supervet the other night?
Dog taken to Noel as a shoulder replacement had gone wrong.
The Vet that did the job had more or less bullied the owners into having the op done, and botched it. Noel fixed it but the shoulder had to be fixed as the joint had gone. I think Noel said the op probably didn’t need doing originally!
The original Vet has been struck off for other ops etc.

Get a second opinion.
A Vet recently pointed out a broken tooth in Pippa’s mouth, they quoted £800 upwards.
She doesn’t flinch when it’s tapped and eats hard biscuits and chewy things too so I’m not rushing to get it done, when the time comes I shall look at Vets in France.

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
We used
Clínica Veterinaria Asís
1000012979.png

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Does anyone clean their dogs teeth? Looking at the above posts it seems not.
We have always cleaned our dogs teeth from when they were young on their adult teeth, we also use an additive in their water, supplied by the vet, which reduces the formation of plaque.

OP
OP
Fragle
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
We have always cleaned our dogs teeth from when they were young on their adult teeth, we also use an additive in their water, supplied by the vet, which reduces the formation of plaque.
Tried and failed for us when we got her from rescue.

Other half still has the scares from the bite to the hand. In around 14 years ruby has never had to go to the vet for anything other than rabies injection and yearly injection.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Yep to no avail. Being a dachshund with a long snout - renowned for having teeth issues and as she was a rescue her teeth were already in a bad way when we got her. Have tried gel, cleaning (including ultrasonic), water additives, plaque off - does nothing. She’s not much of a chewer which doesn’t help either.

Of course if we got a puppy we would start with better habits 😊

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Use to give our Jacks the dental sticks that are supposed to clean their teeth, they destroy them in less than a minute so they we’re a waste of time

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I clean mine periodically, they don't particularly enjoy the process and I don't think it gets a really good clean as they lick most of the toothpaste off but I suppose it helps a little. My smallest dog milo has terrible looking teeth though. A few extra and squint ones but I don't think they bother him

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back