Decals off, now what? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

1ten

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
5B3D4514-194D-43AF-9DA0-97C67E82CD78.jpeg
E3EC3ECC-E370-4BCB-95A9-F79D2B0925DE.jpeg
The decals on our Globecar had shrunk and wrinkled so I have had them removed.
Now what do I do? Leave it naked, replace with the same or go for something different?
The van is going in to have some bodywork damage repaired in November so I won’t do anything until after that.
I can’t make up my mind if I like it naked or not.

The first picture is the day I picked it up 4 1/2 years ago and now today.

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
The decals on our Benimar have faded..
Tempted to mask off and re-colour with marker pen......🙄

Cheers 🍻

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Looks much better with the decals on, in my view.

Funnily enough, that's a van I'm considering for our next one in a few years, if I can find one - they seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo secondhand, and not a current model either. One of the very few PVCs with a decent internal roof height!

Bodywork damage - if it's just a dent and the paintwork is OK, the paintless dent removal guys can work wonders. Some little sh1t jumped on the bonnet of my wife's car one night, left a huge dent in it but didn't crack the paint. £1800 for a new bonnet, dent wizard man - who we'd used before - did it for £300, took him quite a while and it looks perfect.

OP
OP

1ten

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
Looks much better with the decals on, in my view.

Funnily enough, that's a van I'm considering for our next one in a few years, if I can find one - they seem to be as rare as rocking horse poo secondhand, and not a current model either. One of the very few PVCs with a decent internal roof height!

Bodywork damage - if it's just a dent and the paintwork is OK, the paintless dent removal guys can work wonders. Some little sh1t jumped on the bonnet of my wife's car one night, left a huge dent in it but didn't crack the paint. £1800 for a new bonnet, dent wizard man - who we'd used before - did it for £300, took him quite a while and it looks perfect.
This could be a win win we are thinking of selling in a couple of years, what decals would you like😀.
On a serious note they are great vans and very rare in the UK, I think Globecar sister company Possel still make them.
The damage is minor but an insurance job, during the bad storms much earlier this year a couple of roof tiles came of and went through the kitchen window and did some minor damage to the bonnet and side door.

Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2000
My replacement decals for my Autocruise Rhythm Compact drivers side cost £430 , had to put them on because the fridge upper vent and a patch on the panel between the side window and fridge vent decided to rust. The paint was £1600. Local bloke would have charged me £200 for just a plain strip of vinyl, but it would have taken days to get the old ones off.
Just got to respray the roof now as it's flaking off, cheers Fiat, thanks Autocruise!!!!!

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
View attachment 665911View attachment 665912The decals on our Globecar had shrunk and wrinkled so I have had them removed.
Now what do I do? Leave it naked, replace with the same or go for something different?
The van is going in to have some bodywork damage repaired in November so I won’t do anything until after that.
I can’t make up my mind if I like it naked or not.

The first picture is the day I picked it up 4 1/2 years ago and now today.
It may be prudent to write to Globecar and ask for new stickers as the old ones had deteriorated to such an extent they had to be removed and even if you have to make a contribution im sure Globecar would be amenable as you are after all marketing there product and as pointed out there is a certain value to having the graphics back on your vehicle.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
For sale…

Naked camper van..£25,000

Globecar camper van….£45,000

I know what I’d stick back on…..😎
You can order them naked from the factory if you like.
Will you can't presently as you cannot get them. :rolleyes:
The revolution are not to everyone's liking but if you are hunting for one the graphics are not going to matter.
I think I have seen one second hand one for sale this year
They are like hens teeth

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We are just in the process of replacing all of the crap quality decals on our 2018 Carthago these have got to be the cheapest poor quality vinal from China or some other Far Eastern count, even the rain stains them, nothing like the good quality used by Autotrail, they lasted for years 😳

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I have a 2016 Revolution.
Have removed some graphics and am going to remove the rest when I am.in the right mood

Dec 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2000
get that toffee wheel out, my mate did his (quite) old Hymer caravan with 2 or 3 or 4 ...... of them

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I'm considering replacing my Rapido decals, although my good lady thinks they look ok. The van IS 20y old, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

Gordon

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
We are just in the process of replacing all of the crap quality decals on our 2018 Carthago these have got to be the cheapest poor quality vinal from China or some other Far Eastern count, even the rain stains them, nothing like the good quality used by Autotrail, they lasted for years 😳
Have you replaced them with OEM or had them made elsewhere? I could do with replacing some of mine.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
When stuck in the USA at the start of covid, I had time on my hands and repainted the faded and cracked decals on the old Winnebago warrior. Home Depot made me the paint and it looked really good when done. The words were the hardest bit.
Phil

Attachments

• 7A6765FA-EAAE-4479-A39B-8CAB5815D7AE.jpeg
    7A6765FA-EAAE-4479-A39B-8CAB5815D7AE.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 8CE4BE17-5E6E-4AF5-A549-54A4E9B808AF.jpeg
    8CE4BE17-5E6E-4AF5-A549-54A4E9B808AF.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 83
Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
So where are we in ball park terms for cost? did you DIY? I really need to replace the full near side of mine which reminds me just in case it helps anyone else.

Never ever ever use copious amounts of Elbow Grease (cleaning agent brand) to remove black streaks after winter.:rolleyes::LOL:

OP
OP

1ten

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
So where are we in ball park terms for cost? did you DIY? I really need to replace the full near side of mine which reminds me just in case it helps anyone else.

Never ever ever use copious amounts of Elbow Grease (cleaning agent brand) to remove black streaks after winter.:rolleyes::LOL:
I got quoted £500 to redo mine to match the originals

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!

No I meant, like you I would like to re do some of mine🤷‍♂️

OP
OP

1ten

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
It may be prudent to write to Globecar and ask for new stickers as the old ones had deteriorated to such an extent they had to be removed and even if you have to make a contribution I'm sure Globecar would be amenable as you are after all marketing there product and as pointed out there is a certain value to having the graphics back on your vehicle.
Nice but I doubt Globecar will be interested and I know others have had a problem getting decals even when the van is still under warranty.
If I do replace them it will be with decent quality material not the rubbish Globecar used ;)

Apr 2, 2017
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Kreos 5009
Exp
Since 2010
I’ve just been quoted £400 minimum for one side of my Laika and that’s not for original decals just matched ones not including the dog decal. The guy said the glue has broken down due to the ultra violet rays which explains why one one side has gone as when we’re back in the U.K. that side always faces the sun and once one bit starts to peel it just gets worse and worse

OP
OP

1ten

Free Member
Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
I’ve just been quoted £400 minimum for one side of my Laika and that’s not for original decals just matched ones not including the dog decal. The guy said the glue has broken down due to the ultra violet rays which explains why one one side has gone as when we’re back in the U.K. that side always faces the sun and once one bit starts to peel it just gets worse and worse
Mine was to match the originals with the exception of the large darker grey bit that goes from the drivers door to just past the sliding door.
that includes the lettering on both sides and front and back. I could also have it done in any colour combinations.

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011

They already need replacing on our 2020 Carthago! I made a warranty claim but it was rejected out of hand. Carthago accused me of everything under the sun including not washing it often enough, not washing it properly, using the wrong materials and leaving it standing idle for eight months! They have just made this up. I can prove from the tracker that it has never been left standing idle for anything like eight months.

Are you getting replacements from Carthago or having some made up by a sign writer? If the latter, I would be interested in knowing where you get them from and what you think of them.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
I would be very happy if it’s anything near twice that 🤣
Wow!! I need to get a big printer and go on a crash course in decal making………

Then again I’m useless with tech 😞

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back