Data sims for using in Europe! (1 Viewer)

cycletothesea

Free Member
May 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato - Pilote
Hi folks, going round in circles trying to find a definitive answer here.
I want to get a separate wifi router/hub to use when on holiday in Europe, that's the easy bit.
But more impossible is finding a data only sim that I can buy here, and then use in the router when abroad. Seen so many proviso's saying that data can only be used in the UK, especially the one from EE I was going to get.
I don't want to be tied to any contract with any network, just have a plug-and-play wifi option which is pre-paid. Is that a thing?

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
It's IQ Go Go Go! Just fired them an email after my question here. Got a reply from Frazer @ IQ Go five minutes later (on a Friday night at 10.30pm!).
Switzerland is still covered even though it is not in the EU.
These are the 27 countries covered in the "roam like home" offering.
Aland Islands, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canary Islands, Ceuta, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, France, French Guiana, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Guadeloupe, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Martinique, Mayotte, Mellila, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Réunion, Romania, Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin, San Marino, Sint Maarten, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and Vatican City.
Just had an update on the list of countries. Add to the list Azores, Madeira and Monaco.

Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Hi folks, going round in circles trying to find a definitive answer here.
I want to get a separate wifi router/hub to use when on holiday in Europe, that's the easy bit.
But more impossible is finding a data only sim that I can buy here, and then use in the router when abroad. Seen so many proviso's saying that data can only be used in the UK, especially the one from EE I was going to get.
I don't want to be tied to any contract with any network, just have a plug-and-play wifi option which is pre-paid. Is that a thing?
There's lots of choices for data only sims that work in EU. But the ones that are best are those without a data cap. We use Popit £25 for 100 Gb per month and no cap in EU. Only requirement is to use the sim in UK first. 30 day contract as is now almost standard. Also
it can be reverted to £1 per month when you don't need it. Just about to change mine from that £1 monthly charge to £25 monthly charge for the upcoming holiday this weekend. Uses EE network, good coverage. https://www.popitmobile.co.uk/plans

Upvote 0
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
There is a catch with popit - Once you use a popit sim in Europe they stop you reverting back to £1 or cancelling your contract until you have used it in the UK “for a while” after you get back. I was unable to find out what the exact details were so cancelled it before travelling. £25 per month in the UK is expensive so they just seem to recoup their profit by holding you to a UK contract after you have traveled, this is too sneaky for me!

Deep in their terms and conditions it says:

“2.2 To cancel the contract, you must ensure the following conditions are met:

1. a) UK Data Usage: You must use Data in the UK to meet your Roaming Compliance.
  2. b) Roaming Compliance: Your roaming usage is shown in your subscription, and this must be 100% and in green.
2.3 If the conditions mentioned in 2.2 are met, you may cancel the contract by providing us with a written request or once available by requesting a cancellation code from your subscription details panel.

2.4 In the event of non-compliance and a desire to cancel the service for reasons other than specified herein, a fee of £75 shall be levied, to be deposited into your account wallet. This amount will be subsequently debited and utilised towards the closure of the account to ensure compliance.“

I used it very briefly in Europe and the roaming usage indicator went red and was 15% - I had to keep paying for sim until it was green again.

This makes popit expensive. But I don’t like their style - bordering on deceitful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
There is a catch with popit - Once you use a popit sim in Europe they stop you reverting back to £1 or cancelling your contract until you have used it in the UK “for a while” after you get back. I was unable to find out what the exact details were so cancelled it before travelling. £25 per month in the UK is expensive so they just seem to recoup their profit by holding you to a UK contract after you have traveled, this is too sneaky for me!

Deep in their terms and conditions it says:

“2.2 To cancel the contract, you must ensure the following conditions are met:

1. a) UK Data Usage: You must use Data in the UK to meet your Roaming Compliance.
  2. b) Roaming Compliance: Your roaming usage is shown in your subscription, and this must be 100% and in green.
2.3 If the conditions mentioned in 2.2 are met, you may cancel the contract by providing us with a written request or once available by requesting a cancellation code from your subscription details panel.

2.4 In the event of non-compliance and a desire to cancel the service for reasons other than specified herein, a fee of £75 shall be levied, to be deposited into your account wallet. This amount will be subsequently debited and utilised towards the closure of the account to ensure compliance.“

I used it very briefly in Europe and the roaming usage indicator went red and was 15% - I had to keep paying for sim until it was green again.

This makes popit expensive. But I don’t like their style - bordering on deceitful.
Yes, that's the chapter and verse but the practical reality is simple. After using the SIM in EU for 10 days I used it for an hour approx at home and the compliance level returned to normal. Done this several times, no problem. So it works for me.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back