Data only Sim for WiFi unit ? (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Oct 3, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Morning ladies and gents just dipping into the pool/sea of knowledge that is MHF.
I had a roof mounted WiFi unit fitted at the Lincoln show and I’m very pleased with its performance.
I did have an initial problem with a prepaid sim I bought but the owner fitted an alternative sim and it has been spot on for my use, it has a year of use which is almost up.
I’m not going outside the uk so roaming is not an issue.
The unit is from MH WiFi.com it’s the Ultra unit.
I need some advice on the best way to go to replace the out of date sim. My understanding was it’s just a use and throw away type of SIM card.
We don’t use the van a lot in the winter so my use would be from April to October.
Any advice would be helpful.
Regards as always The ice Man.

🤜MHF🤛

Jan 25, 2024
North Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 745
Exp
since 2012
I am on EE and use 5G at home. Unlimited data. They have a deal where you can get a second sim and 'gift' data to that second sim when you go away.

I have found EE to be the best in UK and, having said that, I have O2 for my mobile! Need to change that.

Good luck. Amazon or Scancom is your friend.

Tony

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Morning ladies and gents just dipping into the pool/sea of knowledge that is MHF.
I had a roof mounted WiFi unit fitted at the Lincoln show and I’m very pleased with its performance.
I did have an initial problem with a prepaid sim I bought but the owner fitted an alternative sim and it has been spot on for my use, it has a year of use which is almost up.
I need some advice on the best way to go to replace the out of date sim. My understanding was it’s just a use and throw away type of SIM card.
We don’t use the van a lot in the winter so my use would be from April to October.

🤜MHF🤛
Depending on what level of data you're looking for have a look at this.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Depends how much data you require and how often. I use "three internet with legs 24gb data sim" Giving you 24GB that you can use intermittently over 2 years without a contract.

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
We use a Smarty Sim in our mifi unit. For us the benefit of Smarty is that you can easily change your data packeage or add more data. It is a monthly contract but pause whenever you want, so we normally pause between November and probably February. If you add more dat during the month anythat remains rolls over. The monthly allowance of your package does not roll over. They do data/text packages and data only. For reasons that are beyond my technical knowledge the data only packages are more expensive so we have a data/text package which as far as I know still gives us the full data we have paid for. I did read an reticle somewhere about the difference and it said you just want data it doesn’t matter which you buy.
I can’t remember which network Smarty works on but it has been good for us. Any poor reception has usually been where all reception is poor, like some bits of Dumfries And Galloway.
We are relatively light users, web, email, bit of you tube. No TV.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I can’t remember which network Smarty works on but it has been good for us. Any poor reception has usually been where all reception is poor, like some bits of Dumfries And Galloway.
Smarty are owned by 3 so it's their network. We have similar problems in D&G.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I used to use Smarty but got fed up with slow internet and have changed to a EE data only business sim (sancom off Amazon)and I found it a lot better

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I used to use Smarty but got fed up with slow internet and have changed to a EE data only business sim (sancom off Amazon)and I found it a lot better
We've also got an EE 12 month/120Gb for internet browsing as we still use satellite TV.

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Smarty has the lowest priority on Three, those Three sims from amazon have a higher priority based on experience of using both. Our smarty sim is in bin.

We use a 3 business sim (not from scancom) as our primary van sim, but we ALSO have a EE one in there. Some sites we need it, but it's rare.

Site we were at this weekend was as good at home on Three (700+Mbit on 5g! and > 150 on 4g)., but only 2Mbit on O2...

Should say the scancom (from amazon shop) sims that are prepaid for both Three and EE are excellent, we use both. And you can't touch the price, we mostly use the 50Gb for 3 year ones for the equivalent of about £2 a month for infrequent use, and the EE unlimited ones (about £8-12 a month) for a certain place with limited Three coverage.

Until we start seeing 5g apear at sites we visit on Voda/O2, personally I avoid their sims, as they have a tiny percentage of 4g spectrum when compared with Three and EE -> however worth noting there is a Vodafone/Three merger going through the competition authorities at moment and if it happens it'll make the new network likely the largest with most spectrum, so having a Voda or Three sim (if approved end of this year) may be a very good thing.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 2020

🤜MHF🤛
Hi , I am like you . I mainly use my MH between April and October . I use a pre loaded EE sim. This I purchased from Argos at a cost of £60 . It is pre loaded with 120GB of data which lasts for 12 months from the 1st time of use . I have only ever used it in the UK and to be honest it’s always given me a great signal. I use it in my Netgear nighthawk 2 with a roof mounted Ariel .
Once it runs out I simply replace it . You can top it up online , however when I tried this it loaded phone calls and not data ! So I find it easier to replace .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
Hi , I am like you . I mainly use my MH between April and October . I use a pre loaded EE sim. This I purchased from Argos at a cost of £60 . It is pre loaded with 120GB of data which lasts for 12 months from the 1st time of use . I have only ever used it in the UK and to be honest it’s always given me a great signal. I use it in my Netgear nighthawk 2 with a roof mounted Ariel .
Once it runs out I simply replace it . You can top it up online , however when I tried this it loaded phone calls and not data ! So I find it easier to replace .
YEha, it's the same with the scancom ones on Amazon, they last 2-3 years and you just pay for htem once, and they last until the date specified.

We have so far the EE unlimited sims from them running for about 6 years now, we buy every 2 years as the sim expires (was initially about 200 quid for 2.5 years service, its gone up since then!).

The Three ones are about £60 for 2.5 years in sales, and give 80Gb for every month of the period.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back