Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Noticed some cracking on one of my front tyres so time for a new pair currently on my van on front are Michelin Agilis Camping. Led to believe under 6 years old but havnt checked Loads of tread left and worn nice and even but grip on damp roads can be iffy pulling away although i drove out of Chester meeting no problems when others got stuck.

So I am searching I wont buy the same again but Did like the look of the Michelin cross climate but didnt really like the price just shy of £150 each fitted locally.

So question is what would you buy thats a bit cheaper possibly the size is 225/65/16 going on a front wheel drive 5t tag axle van the rears are Agilis but not camping type and only few years old and great condition so they are staying.

Thanks for any advice Paul

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Alpins need to be fitted in complete sets

Any idea why?

I would fully understand two the same on driven wheels, but don't understand why they cant be different front to back other than good marketing :whistle:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if you are set on van tyres, then Hankook have been highly recommended to me

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Any idea why?

I would fully understand two the same on driven wheels, but don't understand why they cant be different front to back other than good marketing :whistle:
Alpine rated tyres are a much softer compound therefore have much more grip than Summer tyres. All tyre manufacturers recommend you should not mix summer and winter tyres on the same vehicle as the handling characteristics are quite different.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Alpine rated tyres are a much softer compound therefore have much more grip than Summer tyres. All tyre manufacturers recommend you should not mix summer and winter tyres on the same vehicle as the handling characteristics are quite different.
To quote mandy rice davis they would say that .On a high performance car i can understand it but who get near the grip limit in a tag?

OP
OP
PORKSTER

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I do try to find the limits hand brake turns is what im really struggling with though.

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
To quote mandy rice davis they would say that .On a high performance car i can understand it but who get near the grip limit in a tag?

Well, having been involved in investigating several fatal or life changing collisions involving fairly modest and low powered cars fitted with incompatible tyres, or even new vs very worn tyres fitted at the wrong ends of the vehicle, I would say without hesitation it could happen to anyone who might find themselves having to brake suddenly or take other emergency action whilst the vehicle is unsettled, for example on a bend or uneven road surface. Just because it's not a racing car doesn't mean that you wouldn't need to avail yourself of maximum braking abilities or a sudden steering input in an emergency situation.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Alpine rated tyres as Paul has standard van tyres on the rear, (I think), Alpins need to be fitted in complete sets and he doesn't want to change the rears.
Maybe a recommendation but certainly not required by law.
Providing the load and speed rating is correct and the tread depth meets minimum required by law you can fit any make you want in any combination/configuration.
If there was a requirement to have matching tyres it would be part of the MOT.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back