Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 2, 2023
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Benimar 143
Exp
I'm a newbie (ISH) 2022( type 2 VW's and caravans 1980 s to 2022)s
Has anyone been told damp checks are only being carried out on the floor at the habitation service nowhere else .?

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
But you are, they've told you only the floor needs checking as the rest is aluminium (i think), as I said Carthago is just visual check as there's no wood to check the damp on.

Most are sandwich aluminium with foam in the middle for insulation and the better quality (I think XPS) then that is moisture proof. My argument is you can't check aluminium for damp like you can wood!

I'm not quite getting this Aluminium stuff. Only the skin is Aluminium. There is all sorts of stuff inside that could be damp depending on the construction. My Burstner (2021) was diagnosed with damp on a annual check. I has no idea prior to the check. The damp was inside the aluminium skinned wall. No wood involved. They said once inside the Aluminium wall it wouldn't ever dry out. It was around the water filler point and the external TV/power point. One can only assume these were not sealed properly and water leaked in from the seals around these utility points.

The dealer who diagnosed it (Heart of England motorhomes)said it was a big job and the damp area would have to be cut out from the inside and replaced. They refused to do it under warranty as I hadn't purchased it from them. Camper UK agreed to take it on but I don't believe they cut anything out - I think they removed the utility points, dried it out with heaters and then replaced/resealed.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I'm not quite getting this Aluminium stuff. Only the skin is Aluminium. There is all sorts of stuff inside that could be damp depending on the construction. My Burstner (2021) was diagnosed with damp on a annual check. I has no idea prior to the check. The damp was inside the aluminium skinned wall. No wood involved. They said once inside the Aluminium wall it wouldn't ever dry out. It was around the water filler point and the external TV/power point. One can only assume these were not sealed properly and water leaked in from the seals around these utility points.

The dealer who diagnosed it (Heart of England motorhomes)said it was a big job and the damp area would have to be cut out from the inside and replaced. They refused to do it under warranty as I hadn't purchased it from them. Camper UK agreed to take it on but I don't believe they cut anything out - I think they removed the utility points, dried it out with heaters and then replaced/resealed.
Carthago are aluminium inside and out so no way to check, maybe your burstner has wood inside like my dethleffs did but aluminium outside?

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007

As an example one of our previous motorhomes, a Hymer S820 had a leaking roof light around the sides for over a year, it was p1ssing water in. When taken off it was bone dry all the area around it, it’s all about the construction.

Our Concorde which is aluminium inside and out with good insulation was bone dry when the side windows were taken out to replace the double glazed glass, even though they were leaking.

In the 2 above cases with a different Motorhome you could get damp all over from exactly the same scenarios.

This is our van construction method, walls roof and floor.

IMG_0022.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
Carthago are aluminium inside and out so no way to check, maybe your burstner has wood inside like my dethleffs did but aluminium outside?
No wood in the construction of present Burstner walls/roof/floor as far as I am aware.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back