Croatia (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
We went France belgium germany austria slovenia non toll no issue 5.5 tonne 8m came back croatia slovenia italy austria germany ... we just did dover calais we had woofer so did p&o. with pet lounge acsi card a must for out of season if in season expect to pay good rates in croatian camp sites. but they are some of the best sites we have ever visited.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
How long are you planning on going?

We're in the North East, so took the North Shields to IJmuiden ferry, then across Holland, down Germany, over Austria, into Italy, over to Lake Bled Slovenia, Lubiana, over into Croatia, Zagreb, Senj, Zadar, Split, then back up via Pag, Krk to Slovenia military museum, the Postojna Caves, and back into Italy

Feb 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
pilote diamond 783
Exp
2 years
Plitvica Lakes is a nice place but book your ticket in advance and go for as earlier slot as your alarm clock will allow, summer the crowds will be mad.

Dec 10, 2019
South West
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Make sure that your insurance is covered we wanted to go however NFU only covered us for 3rd party only, so went to Slovenia instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We spent 3 months in Croatia 2 years ago. No or very little wild camping available.
Campsites are huge but amazing. Just be careful booking on line as we were sometimes charged a hefty booking fee but made to look like a refundable deposit.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Croatia towns/cities not that motorhome friendly unfortunately- parking places the issue.
Plitvic Lake a must, good campsite at the lakes. Vrsic Pass a must across the Julian Alps. Lake Bled of course. Loads of tourists, not cheap.

OP
OP
Simon Meadwell
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
How long are you planning on going?

We're in the North East, so took the North Shields to IJmuiden ferry, then across Holland, down Germany, over Austria, into Italy, over to Lake Bled Slovenia, Lubiana, over into Croatia, Zagreb, Senj, Zadar, Split, then back up via Pag, Krk to Slovenia military museum, the Postojna Caves, and back into Italy
Going for a month end of july 2025. Which will include travel both ways.

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
Going for a month end of july 2025. Which will include travel both ways.
As mentioned above, wild camping options in Croatia are extremely limited, and camp sites in the summer will be busy and expensive. I'd plan and book them in advance. The sites are huge. Not really my cup of tea at all, but undeniably impressive in terms of facilities, location and cleanliness.

Dubrovnik and Split will be extremely busy. Zadar, Šibenik and Trogir make good, slightly less frantic alternatives. The island of Krk has attractive towns and well located campsites too.

I'd leave a few days to explore Solvenia on the way down. In many ways preferable to Croatia.

Have a great trip, but you'll have to have some long driving days to do it in a month and still have time to relax and explore when you are there.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
OK if going out of peak season. Rammed in school holidays. We went for 6 weeks in Sept/October and didn’t pre book anything. Stayed near Venice and Lake Bled en route. Hardly any wild camping but lots of campsites. Dubrovnik and Split really busy now. Stayed outside and took water taxis into those towns. Really enjoyed it.
Phil

Aug 1, 2021
Pembrokeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-T Expedition 66
We are going last week of june then two weeks on site first two weeks in july so hopefully just miss school holidays
Check whether the sites you're interested in will still be within the ACSI applicable low season, and if so get a card. We were in Croatia last September and the ACSI card made a significant reduction in standard site costs.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are going last week of june then two weeks on site first two weeks in july so hopefully just miss school holidays
It will be exceptionally busy in Croatia at that time of year and campsite prices are through the roof, 130pn not uncommon for a decent pitch, plus you'll need to book.
ACSI won't work either unfortunately.
TBH it's not somewhere I'd come in peak season, too hot and too crowded.
I'm in Istria now and it's beautiful but weather is unsettled though.
But I appreciate if your restricted to school holidays it difficult.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
We used ASCI extensively when we were there, so just checking your dates for the sites we used as a guide.

Camping Stobreč ASCI valid until 30/06 - we paid €25 per night, location perfect for access via bus outside site to Split, site was OK, if a little tired, onsite bar/restaurant good and competitively priced.

Falkensteiner Zadar ASCI valid until 14/06 - €25 per night, huge site, we walked into Zadar from here, beautiful walk along the coast, but once we then spent the day in Zadar itself it was too much to walk back! Just along from the site we found a cool little food festival on, and there's a lovely bakery stall outside the site. Facilities are all first class, and clean outdoor pool, but didn't use the restaurant.

Aminess Avalona Pag ASCI valid 02/06 - 30/06, 13/07 - 27/07 €25. This site had just opened when we went, it's a luxury 5* site, with facilities to match, it was unfinished so the ASCI pitches were on the terraced West Side above the really expensive pitches which have their own swimming pools! This site is exposed, and was very windy, but the washing machines were free and we did 6 loads in two days when we were there! Fantastic sunsets.

We also went to a site on Krk, camper stop Felix, which was a woman's back garden, €25 and an easy walk into the town 👍

And, the Slovenian military museum has a Motorhome stopover on site, it's €24 overnight, but you get two entrance tickets to the museum which are €12 each, so basically free - ehu, water and waste, and on a clear night, amazing stargazing

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Went for a week in June (hotel ) massive campsite near by on the coast one of the hotel staff who was Croatian September is a lovely time to go it wasn't particularly busy when we went .

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
3 years 30,000 miles UK and Europe.. Campsites and off Grid.
We did Dover - Calais crossing then Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia. I suppose our priority was a direct route and no tolls.

By the way - not sure how long you have but we did Bosnia/Serbia/Montenegro while down that way. Well worth doing.

We didn't book anything. A mix of off grid parking and some campsites but just made it up as we went along. I hate planning. It was Sept/Oct though so perhaps quieter than June.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
Just come back from Croatia, very hot in August..Avoid Germany in august, Been that way a few times ,nightmare,, keep saying never again .
Novigrad is nice, lots of bars & restaurants. Easy walk from camping Sirena. not bad price in June. camping Orsera in Vrsar is also nice. once stayed at one in Pula & on Kirk island, can't remember the names.

Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
We're leaving for there tomorrow... You are also on the M62 corridor, so potentially could also go Hull-Rotterdam.
It costs more, but by the time you've added the diesel to get to Kent and French tolls, there's only a few tenners in it.

For me it means I'll be finishing work at 4pm (wfh) and at Hull comfortably for 7 for the 8.30 overnight boat. Then on the Dutch mway before 10am (their time).
Work will also let me start at 10 when we come back, which I'll do straight after getting off the return boat and 2hrs from Hull. Having had a easy night and a good breakfast - not like I'd just driven from Dover.

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Oct 27, 2021
Berkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
2021 Carado V132 LHD
Exp
since 2005
We were in Croatia May/June this year. The south was relatively quiet, even Dubrovnik was tolerable (old city walls walk is a must). There’s a good site just a 10 minute bus ride away, think we found all our sites on searchforsites. Pula has a Colosseum to rival Rome, smaller but more complete. We did see quite a lot of small ad-hoc sites along the coast which aren’t on the apps.
Remember most of the beaches are stony, a real disappointment.

Feb 16, 2020
Funster No
MH
Elddis Encore
Exp
Currently in Croatia, staying at a site just north of Dubrovnik whilst we explore the city. Camping Pod Maslonim, we’d highly recommend it. We took the scenic route down here, Dover-Calais, through Luxembourg to top of with cheaper diesel (the motorway services there offer the same price for fuel as everywhere else in the country btw), then Germany, Austria, Switzerland over the Alps via Livigno where diesel was €1.19/litre. We parked up for a peaceful night at the top of the Stelvio pass, the Mrs freewheeled on her bicycle for 40 minutes down the western side in the morning with me following behind in the MoHo!. Motorways through northern Italy which were surprisingly inexpensive, straight through Slovenia and into Croatia itself.

We’re making good use of the ACSI card, and had a few nights at a nice site on Krk Island for €23/night before moving on down to Dubrovnik.

Will be doing Plitvice on the way back.

Tourist attractions are not cheap, but supermarkets are a little cheaper than at home, and fuel definitely is.

May 11, 2020
Chipping Norton
Funster No
MH
Phoenix Liner +Smart
Exp
since 1985
Last year during high season in August we were told at Falkensteiner Zadar site that only front row pitches were available. This was not surprising as the cost was over £110 per night. If you arrive late you can stay free in their reception holding area where there are 3 electric points you can use.

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Plitvica Lakes is a nice place but book your ticket in advance and go for as earlier slot as your alarm clock will allow, summer the crowds will be mad.
Good tip but can I suggest getting the free bus to the top of the lakes and walk down, easier on the legs, no queuing for the small boat across the lakes and no crowds until reaching the lower areas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back