Croatia help (1 Viewer)

Campervan jan

Free Member
Nov 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
A vlass
Exp
I am thinking of going to Croatia can anyone give me some help best route from UK and best sites and if I have to book ahead or just chill and go with the flow ? Cheers Arthur

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
Viewing this set of three travelogues might be useful to you ?:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am thinking of going to Croatia can anyone give me some help best route from UK and best sites and if I have to book ahead or just chill and go with the flow ? Cheers Arthur
We have never booked a place..as for what route, just head for Austria, over the alps, turn left , turn right and head south...
Be aware that if heading to south Croatia ( recommended ! ) you will pass through a tiny bit of Bosnia .. it is no hassle but it does mean you will have to get a green card from your insurance company as Bosnia is not part of the EU ..but if you are going after March 29th we will probably all have to have them no matter what our destination is..I have never been charged for a green card by any of our insurers but I suspect that will change as it will likely be viewed as an easy earner

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nearly forgot ! Avoid going at peak times. The site we often use at Sibenik can be as little as 11€ a night off season and 80 € a night peak time !!!!!!!

And do not forget to change p some money before you go.. You will need to get some Kuna.
First time we went we found all the places to change money in Croatia gave not bad but terrible exchange rates !
Kuna are about 13 pence at the moment.. The price rises quite a bit in the tourist season

This from a website I often use:

The exchange rate for the kuna is fixed to the euro. The fixed rate allows the government to make kuna more expensive during the summer tourist season, which it does every year.

Dec 8, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
coach Built
Exp
we are newbies
We went in September 2018. Just after high season so the weather was still very good and no need to book. I would recommend Medulin there is a huge campsite, but in September about a third full so plenty of spaces, also Rovinj find a campsite within walking distance a beautiful town. We travelled there accross the top of Italy, a horrible journey lots of roadworks and heavy traffic.

Dec 16, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
New
I can recommend Pula.It's an old Roman town with a colosseum etc.There is a camp site right on the coast with local bus into the town.Very scenic with pine forests Good for walking .
To get to Dubrovnik we took the bus from Split save messing with Green cards then got the ferry back.Stayed over night in a B&B near the cable car
Lake Bled was also picturesque on the way down

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
And do not forget to change p some money before you go.. You will need to get some Kuna.
First time we went we found all the places to change money in Croatia gave not bad but terrible exchange rates !
Not really a problem, I don't think I ever been to a country with so many ATM's.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not really a problem, I don't think I ever been to a country with so many ATM's.
As said, exchange rate is crap.. and controlled by the govt

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
We have been visiting the area since early 1980s when it was Yugoslavia. A beautiful country. In my opinion the most beautiful section is the Makarska Riviera, very picturesque. Dubrovnik is nice but very touristy and busy. Never go in high season. far too packed. We went last September and we found it started to quieten down around 18th Sept. If you have the time take the slower more picturesque route...Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany taking the romantic route to Austria. You then have a shorter section across the Austrian tyrol avoiding tolls. From there you can take in the Italian Lakes and even Venice before crossing through Slovenia, again this section can avoid tolls taking you into Croatia where toll roads are not that expensive. We used the above route and really liked all of the mentioned stops although I would only visit Venice on the later return trip, if you go autumn. The trip is well documented in my blog with pictures. Link below scroll down the dates on the left to take you to the chosen trip and at the bottom of each page you can go to the next page by clicking on 'older posts also pics enlarge when you click on them.
http://lightningtours.blogspot.com/

Last edited:

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We stayed here
We went in July / August last year and we had no need to pre-book.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back