Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
I have a 2008 Fiat Ducato.

Since I've had my van there has been the occasional creak from the rear suspension when we walk around in it. Last year it was sometimes noticeable when driving, and I asked my garage to investigate, but they couldn't identify the cause.

This year, it has become much more noticeable when driving on anything rougher than a billiard table! It is just a continuous very loud creaking noise. I mentioned it to a different local garage when they were doing another job, and they said it could be dry suspension bushes, and they would spray lubricant on them if I took it in.

Is this a possible cause?

I've also noticed slight traces of surface rust between the leaves of the rear springs. Could that be the cause? Should I lubricate the springs?

Has anybody got any other ideas what might be wrong? It really is unpleasant to drive at present. Thanks, John.

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp
Get an oil squirt gun and lather some oil around the bushes, it may take a couple of attempts. Job done

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
It will be the bushes in the rear springs. The replacements, if you buy fiat ones are an upgraded/improved item swapped mine a while ago. Thought I was wasting my time and money when I did start to swap them as mine came out looking ok, and with grease on them. But cured creak straight away and has not returned. Mine is an 09 reg, and rust on leaf springs is normal for any leaf springs. Got my replacement bushes from coastal motorhomes, fitted myself, curbside, but do need good jacks, and a big hammer.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
Like Landy Andy I had my leaf spring bushes replaced on my 2008 vehicle to cure squeaking.
There is an improved design.
It cost about £500.
It did cure the problem but I still have another squeak from one spring end.
I spray with WD40 or similar and it goes for a couple of weeks.
Only heard when going very slowly, at speed it is smothered by the general din.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back