Coupler / seperator

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
Morning all .

i have been told that on my Ducato eriba 2.8 the coupler seperator is not working and needs replaced .
I have today received a new one ..

I have googled for info and sure enough I found info on the workings of this component , however it’s so technical I’m as a lost soul in the desert ! Totally bamboozled ,
Please can I kindly as for an easy explanation for thé requirement of this piece of kit? in Dunce’s parlance if possible?

Many thanks again .
David

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It's a device that charges the engine and habitation batteries off the engine. It's a bit clever so it makes sure the engine battery gets charged first so you can always start the engine but once this battery is charged the device diverts the charging to the habitation battery whilst driving along

OP
OP
tapdave
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
Great . Many thanks .(y) That’s a bit easier to understand !
Can I just clarify that the habitation battery is the leisure bat’ .?

Would you recommend that before I spend a day/ night away in the van that I do have the new coupler installed . ?
Superb and thanks again .

Likes collected
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Great . Many thanks .(y) That’s a bit easier to understand !
Can I just clarify that the habitation battery is the leisure bat’ .?

Would you recommend that before I spend a day/ night away in the van that I do have the new coupler installed . ?
Superb and thanks again .
Yes the habitation is also called the leisure battery or even the house battery to add more confusion. The engine battery is also called the starter battery or cab battery just in case things needed to be even more confusing.
If your habitation battery is fully charged off the mains before you leave for your trip then the coupler won't do anything so probably not essential. It's really intended for off grid charging of the habitation battery when touring around.

OP
OP
tapdave
Likes collected
Funster No
MH
DucatoEriba 2.8 2003
So if I connect to EHU the leisure will slowly charge and the coupler has no bearing on this function . .my leisure is a new one and is sitting at 14 volts .

Can I just say that I live in France and my French is still schoolboy hence the reason I’m confused when I ask someone here ..just like my campervan it’s all a learning curve for sure .
Thanks again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Back