Copy DVD to external hard drive. (1 Viewer)

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
In our 5ver, we have four of those booklet folders for 100 dvd's / cd.s a piece.
They weigh a flippin' tonne!
So, purely as a weight saving exercise, I thought I'd buy a Toshiba 1TB external hard drive and just copy them.
Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!! I've tried 3 different free download programmes now and I'm TOTALLY confused and no further forward.

So, can anybody recommend a SIMPLE and preferably free software down load so that I can copy my DVD's onto an external hard drive.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
click and drag? I copy from stick to dvd and that's all it takes but then I'm a total numpty when it comes to 'puters:xsmile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just to help your searches, the normal term is "dvd rip". You use a ripper.

It's not trivial due to copy protection.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Recommend Handbrake..

https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

and some help on how to use it

1. Head to Handbrake's homepage and download the program. Install it to your computer as directed.
  2. By default, Handbrake can rip unprotected DVDs, but most DVDs you buy from the store have copy protection. To get around this, you'll need to install libdvdcss. On Windows, you can download this file separately (here for 32-bit systems and here for 64-bit systems), rename it to libdvdcss.dll, and put it in your Handbrake program folder (C:\Program Files\Handbrake). If you're on a Mac, download this file and double-click to install it.
  3. Insert the DVD you want to rip, and open Handbrake.
  4. Click the Source button in the upper left-hand corner and choose your DVD drive from the list. It will start scanning your DVD, which could take a few minutes.
  5. When it's done, head to the "Title" drop-down menu in the upper left hand corner of the window. This is where you'll select which part of the DVD you want to rip. In the case of movies, it's usually the longest title, so just pick that one. If you're ripping episodes of a TV show, it's usually the 22 or 44 minute ones, and you'll have to rip them each separately.
  6. Click the Browse button on the right side of the window. Navigate to where you want to save your movie file, and type in a file name in the box. Click OK.
  7. Next, head to the bar on the right labeled "Presets". This is where you'll choose what format the resulting file will be in. If you just want to watch it on your computer, the "Normal" or "High Profile" preset is fine. If you want to watch it on something like your iPod or iPhone, though, pick the correct preset from the list.
  8. Hit the Start button at the top of the window. This will take awhile, so you'll probably want to grab a cup of tea.
  9. When it's done, you'll get a popup notification. From there, you can double-click on your movie file to watch it, or sync it to your device of choice. Enjoy!
It seems like a lot of steps at first, but it really isn't very difficult—especially after your first time through. Once you've installed the libdvdcss file, for example, you can skip that step in the future.

It's just a matter of picking the right chapter from the DVD and ripping it to the right format. Note that if you're going to be ripping a lot of DVDs, you can head to Tools > Options (or Handbrake > Preferences, if you're on a Mac), and hit "Browse" next to "Default Path" to choose a location for all the other movies you rip in the future. You can also click "Add to Queue" instead of "Start" and rip multiple files at once, which is great for ripping TV shows.

http://www.lifehacker.co.uk/2014/02/21/rip-dvd-computer

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
+1 For Handbrake. Just stick with the preset settings. If it gives you an error that it can't do the copy due to write / copy / protection or encryption then use Makemkv to "crack" The encryption. Makemkv will turn the DVD into an *. Mkv file. This can usually be played directly by a dvd player but if you want you can then use Handbrake to make it into an MP4 or whatever.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I've tried Handbrake but even with the extensions, it wont allow copying of a protected DVD.
I can understand why the protection is in place but it still bl**dy annoying.
I've paid for my cosher DVD's (don't have any copies) so I should be able to copy them into a hard drive for my own personal use!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Broken Link Removed

Used this over the years.. Not done any for a while but i always keep a copy on my PC just in case.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've been told my IT son that you need 'DVD decrypter' It will remove most copy protection. Sony discs can be an issue

OR ----- 'dvd fab'

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I bought https://www.winxdvd.com/ many years ago, it does what it says on the tin and on special offer right now.

It's one of the few programs I use windows for now.

It rips the dvd more or less in real time so it takes quite a while to do a collection.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
DVDs are dinosaurs. Years ago I used to download certain TV shows, then have to convert the format to DVD, then burn a disk, used to take ages. Most Modern TVs will now play most formats directly from a memory stick. (mp4, avi and MKV)

We all have broadband now and some people allegedly just download what they want from a pirate bay mirror site. :eek:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
I use exact audio copy http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ free for domestic use. It doesn't convert to Mp3 for that you need Lame http://lame.sourceforge.net/ copy it into your "exact audio copy" directory and immediately after audio does its work it automatically converts it to Mp3.
Just taken 8mins 15 sec to copy and convert 16 tracks on "Giants of Rock.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
I've tried Handbrake but even with the extensions, it wont allow copying of a protected DVD.
...………………...

Ooops! My fault chaps. Took me a while to suss it last night (put that down to being a Luddite!) but when I downloaded the extension into the "Handbrake" file, it added...…….(1)…..into the file name and the lappy just didn't like it. :xangry:
Soon as I tried another extension download and it added the extension without (1) in the filename, it worked a treat.(y)
Must admit that the whole thing is a bit more laborious and time consuming than I imagined but you know what they say, "no pain, no gain".

Thanks for your help guys, it's now my turn to ignore Mrs Zaskar, whilst she ignores me on her new Android!:xlaugh:

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Blimey, we're STILL at it!
First film, Harry Potter Philosophers Stone. 1h 30 gone, 1h 10 to go !
It would seem to be copying in real time?
Is this correct?
Is it possible/advisable to speed things up?

Bartyfixedit

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 11, 2014
Maidstone Kent
Funster No
MH
Self Build Ducato L4H3
Exp
Since 1987
I've used this for years. Never let me down. You have to pay for it though. Make sure you have internet when you use it as it downloads the specific decryption for each movie.
http://www.magicdvdripper.com/dvd-copier.htm
The only thimg to watch is that you have to tell it which files to use. It will probably guess them but some titles are deliberately in the wrong order. These you have to select manually but not often.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Whatever software you use it will take a long long time to rip each DVD. Have you weighed the collection to see how many kilogrammes you're saving?

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi

When I started trying to transfer DVD's to a hardrives, to save caring loads of DVD's, I tried a number of programmes including Handbrake etc and finished up buying MagicDVDRipper which has been very successful on my Windows computers. At the moment I cannot recommend it for Mac as I am having trouble getting their Mac version to work.

The programme will Rip bought discs although I rarely ever seek to use that facility but when I have it has also worked perfectly. It takes about an hour for each disc.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Might I suggest you investigate BitTorrent, and P2P file sharing ?

Downloading the films you already have the DVD for is not illegal [as long as you don't watch both at the same time, or sell/give away the Disc]

It's most likely quicker than ripping, and probably smaller file size too...

Like most new things, it's a bit of a learning curve but just as easy as using dvd ripping software.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Blimey, we're STILL at it!
First film, Harry Potter Philosophers Stone. 1h 30 gone, 1h 10 to go !
It would seem to be copying in real time?
Is this correct?
Is it possible/advisable to speed things up?

Ripping speed is down to speed of the computer processor, available RAM and hard drive speed.. rather than the software.

Using Handbrake, I can rip a DVD in about 20mins on a Mac with a 3.2 Ghz Intel i5 , with 24 GB ram and an SSD drive

If it's taking that long I'm guessing you have an old or slow laptop, what is the spec ?

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Download yourself a copy of Vuze.... and then download the bit torrent of your choice to vuze
Which then saves a copy to your PC hard drive,

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
If it's taking that long I'm guessing you have an old or slow laptop, what is the spec ?

TBH, it's prolly getting on a bit by todays standards. HP Pavillion with Windows 10 upgrade from 8.
Must be 6 years old by now. Processor AMD A8 1.6 Ghz, Installed RAM 8.0Gb, usable RAM 7.19Gb, 64bit o.s and x64 processor.

Oh, and do you wanna hear something REALLY funny after all this?
The TV is built into the cabinet and as such I have to use a USB extension to, say, play my camera through the TV cos I can't get at the USB socket once the TV is installed.
Turns out that it wont power the hard drive through an extension cable so the only way I can use it is to play the HD through my lappy USB and connect the lappy to the TV with HDMI.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
TBH, it's prolly getting on a bit by todays standards. HP Pavillion with Windows 10 upgrade from 8.
Must be 6 years old by now. Processor AMD A8 1.6 Ghz, Installed RAM 8.0Gb, usable RAM 7.19Gb, 64bit o.s and x64 processor.

that explains the long rip times..

it's probably flogging it's nuts off :xlaugh:

has it overheated yet ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Ah... :think: didn't know that... and if mobile wifi might be data limited.

the other problem with P2P is its illegal to download copyrighted material, I know it's not if you own the DVD, but how does your ISP know this ?

I used to do a lot of P2P , then I got a warning letter from BT to desist or they would cut me off and report me which could lead to a heavy fine..

so I stopped..

unless of course you use a VPN ..

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
the other problem with P2P is its illegal to download copyrighted material, I know it's not if you own the DVD, but how does your ISP know this ?
Your ISP doesn't know this, not does it know any of what you download via a torrent protocol as all the packets come from different sources and are only put together once on your device.

You only got a letter because someone told your ISP you were downloading copyrighted material... your ISP wouldn't have cut you off had you responded with evidence you already owned the disc & were simply making a backup copy.

In any case, I would imagine that the Rights Agencies are only interested in recent releases, still in cinema, not yet on DVD. I suspect the OP would not be troubled.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
that explains the long rip times..

it's probably flogging it's nuts off :xlaugh:

has it overheated yet ?

No, but I have !!!!!!:xdoh:
We're not doing too bad now. Bit of a shock finding out it takes so long. I think relatives and PCworld were talking about personal photos when they all said "dead easy, just click drag and drop!"
Now I know it's more or less real time copying, I'll just set it running each night whilst we watch the box.
No biggy, just means it'll take longer than expected.:xblink:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I've found over the years that Handbrake is less and less effective with copyright changes etc, so it only works on about 5/10 films i copy over. So i bought MacX DVD ripper Pro and this (today) is working well and has regular updates.

The main challenge today is that more and more of our bought media is Blurry rather than DVD.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
DvdDecryper will copy just about any DVD.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back