Confusing myself on PV voltage and it’s relevance. (1 Viewer)

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
Evening everyone. I think I am confusing myself with the PV voltage. These are the specs of a panel…

Rated Power
200W
Open Circuit Voltage
57.6V
Operating Voltage
48V
Operating Current
4.17A

Is the 48v relevant to the mppt solar controller that I need ? I could have two of these panels in parallel. Any suggestions for an SC?

TIA
Cush

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
As Lenny says, go for 60v or more.
It’s the open circuit voltage (VOC) that you should base your sizing on. Good idea to cater for a 10% oversizing so 75v is ideal.
On a Victron MPPT it’s important to not go for a lower voltage than the VOC of your panels as you can damage the controller. It’s ok to exceed the amps as the controller will turn off and try again without damage.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Higher voltage is generally good as it means the panel will be supplying enough voltage to begin charging in dimmer conditions, and you need thinner cabling. As long as it doesn't exceed the maximum voltage of the controller. With lower voltage panels, you'd have the option to run them in series, but it probably wouldn't be wise with this model.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
On a Victron MPPT it’s important to not go for a lower voltage than the VOC of your panels as you can damage the controller.
Also remember that Voc is measured at 25°C, and it rises when it's colder. It will rise quite a bit over 57.5V on a cold day if it gets full sun.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Also remember that Voc is measured at 25°C, and it rises when it's colder. It will rise quite a bit over 57.5V on a cold day if it gets full sun.
Totally agree, specially on small leisure panels with poor temperature coefficient. I have seen voltage rise at -15C as much as x1.15 VMP on domestic house panels. The VOC must of been higher at start up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back