CMM club recommended sat nav (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi there, 3 years ago bought their recommended Avtec Tourer 2, sat nav which uses a Garmin hardware with enhanced software for camping locations etc.

Been away in France and a couple of weeks ago the sat nav has started to need several attempts to start, freezes at various parts of the booting up process and can take up to 6 attempts to start. Altogether up to 30 minutes! Pretty frustrating when you are trying to start your journey and then its sometimes freezes when during the route. This all started during a very hot spell in France. Been fine up until this point.

Has anyone else experienced this and is their a solution?

Thanks in anticipation.

Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
Have you tried a hard reset.Press and hold the power button and keep it pressed until it shuts down and only release it when the Garmin logo comes back onto the screen.Has worked for me in the past.

OP
OP
Rodders1234
Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Currently in the Netherlands. Yes having to do the hard reset each time it freezes to start. Gets so far through the reboot process and freezes, a bit further each hard reset until it eventually fully starts.

Not sure whether its a hardware fault or software? Checked for update but we are up to date.

Had it 3 years with no problems. First trip abroad, so as I am not familiar with the geography I need the sat nav and this happens. Anyway struggling though. My other sat nav sat in the passengers chair struggles with left and right!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
It happened to me when I stopped for fuel the other week. I finally poked a paperclip in the small hole at the bottom. I has worked fine ever since.

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I've been using the CMNAV 360 without live traffic since before COVID started. I must say that I am very pleased with the unit. I was a bit suspicious at first as I saw them advertising on Facebook, and it's full of scammers out there. I am very impressed with the items, especially that they're half the price of a big brand like TomTom or Garmin and it did an excellent job around Cornwall, or even France, Spain and Portugal over the last couple of years.

I had a few issues with updating the unit, but Christian sent me all the necessary info to update the unit (a video tutorial + the download link for the maps) and I managed to sort it out within 1 hour, and I am not even a computer guy. It's a pretty straightforward job. He even offered to update it himself for free, if I sent the unit back, but ultimately I've managed to do it myself.

Material-wise, the unit is on the cheap side, but the software is brilliant. I must say I am truly impressed with the speed I received support even on a Sunday afternoon, whenever I encountered an issue. I had cheaper sat navs from eBay and Amazon, but once they took my money, the seller didn't bother to help me out, so I ended up buying a new one every couple of years when maps became irrelevant.

I am now considering upgrading to the live-traffic model, as it may be useful at times, and keep the existing one as a spare.

I thought that people who are in doubt about which sat nav to purchase may consider my experience useful. I am very pleased with my purchase, and I can even watch Netflix while we're pitched via Wi-Fi Hot Spot, on this sat-nav, which saves my phone's battery, and I can benefit from a better view, due to its large 7-inch screen.

I also tried mobile phone sat nav apps, but most of them rely on an internet connection, and when you're abroad or in places without network coverage such as Lake District or such, these apps become useless...

Attachments

• 197654009_498415841398120_712107091689612799_n.jpg
    197654009_498415841398120_712107091689612799_n.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 27
  • img_006.jpg
    img_006.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 25
Dec 18, 2011
Hull
Funster No
MH
Autotrail 634
Exp
Since 2006
I've been using the CMNAV 360 without live traffic since before COVID started. I must say that I am very pleased with the unit. I was a bit suspicious at first as I saw them advertising on Facebook, and it's full of scammers out there. I am very impressed with the items, especially that they're half the price of a big brand like TomTom or Garmin and it did an excellent job around Cornwall, or even France, Spain and Portugal over the last couple of years.

I had a few issues with updating the unit, but Christian sent me all the necessary info to update the unit (a video tutorial + the download link for the maps) and I managed to sort it out within 1 hour, and I am not even a computer guy. It's a pretty straightforward job. He even offered to update it himself for free, if I sent the unit back, but ultimately I've managed to do it myself.

Material-wise, the unit is on the cheap side, but the software is brilliant. I must say I am truly impressed with the speed I received support even on a Sunday afternoon, whenever I encountered an issue. I had cheaper sat navs from eBay and Amazon, but once they took my money, the seller didn't bother to help me out, so I ended up buying a new one every couple of years when maps became irrelevant.

I am now considering upgrading to the live-traffic model, as it may be useful at times, and keep the existing one as a spare.

I thought that people who are in doubt about which sat nav to purchase may consider my experience useful. I am very pleased with my purchase, and I can even watch Netflix while we're pitched via Wi-Fi Hot Spot, on this sat-nav, which saves my phone's battery, and I can benefit from a better view, due to its large 7-inch screen.

I also tried mobile phone sat nav apps, but most of them rely on an internet connection, and when you're abroad or in places without network coverage such as Lake District or such, these apps become useless...

I would be very interested to know what you think of the TMC traffic.I have it on my Alpine 903 and its next to useless.I have a CMNAV as a back up and have been pleased with it.I also am beta testing the latest tomtom camper max ant that leaves a lot to be desired.

jono68

Free Member
Banned
Jul 21, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
I would be very interested to know what you think of the TMC traffic.I have it on my Alpine 903 and its next to useless.I have a CMNAV as a back up and have been pleased with it.I also am beta testing the latest tomtom camper max ant that leaves a lot to be desired.
As far as I know, after I have discussed with Christian, the live traffic is via wi-fi and it works the same way as on a TomTom for example. The live traffic isn't a particular service from each sat nav manufacturer. All the data is directly collected from the Traffic Media Channel of each country you are transiting, regardless of your sat nav's make.
Because of that, you can't expect the traffic into to be received in real-time from the TMC server to your sat nav, but it's definitely worth having this extra feature, especially in areas where the traffic queues are frequent...
We are not going anywhere until the end of August, so I am not in a rush to get the upgraded version yet, but I'll report back as soon as I've got it!

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
My satnav suffered heatstroke a few times, we now drive with a cloth over it to keep the sun off. When parked it was dismounted and hidden away from the sun.

May 21, 2021
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper
Exp
Since 1986
Just bought a Garmin Camper 780 from Halfords yesterday, after updating the maps on garmin express, next, set up the language, there’s only two languages available German and Swedish, I’ve emailed Garmin. I’m a loyal Garmin customer and never had this problem before 🫤

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back