Cleaning the upholstery in the van (1 Viewer)

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
The upholstery in the van used to look like this. . . and now, after 13 years, it doesn’t!
It’s in good condition, just grubby.

8230CCB4-78FB-4116-A00D-0DEA44334ACC.jpeg

I am thinking of purchasing one of these to clean it. Has anyone used this, or are there any recommendations for an alternative. I am concerned regarding the effect on the foam, is it likely to be a problem?

3A3DFFDF-AC8F-4995-B736-356CA2BFDBEB.png

Thank you,

Lorraine

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I had a massive coffee stain on my passenger seat

I tried 1001 ultra carpet & upholstery cleaner, it removed the stain and did such a good job I had to do the rest of the seat & the drivers seat to get them to match!

For those of a certain age, who remember Cyril Lord:

1001 cleans a big, big carpet for less than half a crown! (that's less than 2 shilling and sixpence or 12.5p in new money)

I think the modern equivalent was £2.99

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
foaming car upholstery cleaner and a steamer works well for me. comes up like new

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Do the covers not zip off?

Problem with washers etc is you push the dirt further in rather than remove it.
If the covers can be removed then sticking them in washing machine works better.

If they dont then a decent carpet upholstery machine would work but I'd be inclined to hire a good professional one than buy a cheap diy one ....you'll get a better result.

I'm lucky my covers including the fixed bed one zip off

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I had a local car valet guy come out to my Autotrail as it was starting to smell a bit "lived in". He treated all the cushions with some chemical then vacuumed them . Great result and he only charged me £30. (y)
Thought that was pretty reasonable for a 6 berth van with dinette and rear lounge.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My upholstery is all leather. Anyone recommend a good cleaner for that? We got that because it is more dog resistant, and as its not so warm they have no real inclination to lie on it, however still gets the odd paw mark.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The little hand-held thing won't do much at all, either borrow or hire a good quality one, or see if the covers come off which I suspect they do, just don't wash them on a hot wash as you don't want them falling to pieces or shrinking!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
My upholstery is all leather. Anyone recommend a good cleaner for that? We got that because it is more dog resistant, and as its not so warm they have no real inclination to lie on it, however still gets the odd paw mark.
baby wipes, then a leather nourishing cream

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We hired a rug doctor from Morrison’s for the weekend and used the hand held attachment and did all the upholstery, it came up really well and we was very pleased. For the small inaccessible bits we used the spray then brushed and hovered as much up with the hand held...

Think it was less then £40 for the weekend...(y)

OP
OP
whingyraindrop
Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
Thank you for all for your advice. Unfortunately the covers aren’t removable. I would have stuck them in the machine on a cool wash if they were.
I think the hired ‘professional’ machine ( I think my local co op hires them out) may be my best option.
I will let you know how I get on. Wish me luck!

Lorraine x

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013

I have been told to use baby wipes on vinyl - not leather

For leather I have always used Gliptone leather cleaner & gliptone liquid leather to condition & protect - works really well

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you for all for your advice. Unfortunately the covers aren’t removable. I would have stuck them in the machine on a cool wash if they were.
I think the hired ‘professional’ machine ( I think my local co op hires them out) may be my best option.
I will let you know how I get on. Wish me luck!

Lorraine x
just don't get the foam inside too wet. one of the reasons that car valeters use steamers. have cleaned up some really grubby vans. dark grimy greasy marks can be helped using foaming upholstery cleaner worked in with a soft nail brush

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back