Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi does anyone use chocks with leveling ramps or just on their own and what type rubber or plastic .

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
  • No
  • Just the handbrake.
  • Plastic Fiamma levelling ramps.

IMG_6339.jpeg

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I’ve got these Fiamma ones and if one ramps for more than a couple of days, I will use them and let the hand brake off.
I don’t usually put chocks on ramps but on ground
1718775304639.png

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Never had any, we usually max at 2 nights at a stopover anyway
Just more ‘stuff’ for me to forget and leave behind

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 6, 2024
Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL MQ
Exp
Since 1986
I carry a couple of folding chocks that take up very little space, but tbh, I've never used them (yet)!

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
  • No
  • Just the handbrake.
  • Plastic Fiamma levelling ramps.

View attachment 911532
That's what I use, & rarely seem to need chocks because I angle the ramps so once 'van is level it's not under more pressure to roll off that handbrake / gearbox can't hold.

I do own the dedicated chocks for these ramps but the one time I tried using them the 'van just pushed them out of the way. So I put the handbrake back on 😊

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
If you put the ramps on the downhill side, you'll not only give your clutch an easier time climbing on, you'll not need much force to hold the van in place.
Downhill side??

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
If you put the ramps on the downhill side, you'll not only give your clutch an easier time climbing on, you'll not need much force to hold the van in place.
Exactly what I was trying to say!! 🙂🙂
Except you explained the bit I left out!

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I don't understand this. Can you explain it, please?
When trying to get level on a pitch on a slope, first go up the slope, put ramps at the lower end of the slope then drive down onto them. As the front of the van goes up the ramps the back of the 'van goes down the slope. One up + one down = more balance & less stress on the mechanicals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
When trying to get level on a pitch on a slope, first go up the slope, put ramps at the lower end of the slope then drive down onto them. As the front of the van goes up the ramps the back of the 'van goes down the slope. One up + one down = more balance & less stress on the mechanicals.
Still don't get it, tried to visualise it but can't see how you go up the slope and drive down to them and the front goes up .

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Still don't get it, tried to visualise it but can't see how you go up the slope and drive down to them and the front goes up .
If the van is pointing down hill, put the ramps in front of the front wheels. If the van is pointing up hill, put them behind the back wheels and roll backwards.

Upvote 0

stuartholmes

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 18, 2022
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1989
I meant 'the front of the van' to mean the end that's at the front when you go down the hill (slope). That's the back if you went forwards up the slope in step one. if you reverse up the hill then the end that goes up the ramps is the end with the headlights but if you go forwards up the hill the front of the van when you go down the hill is the end with red lights on in which is back of the van when you're on the motorway but the back is the front when you're reversing down the slope but when you're adjusting for a lateral slope you have to use a ramp at the back and the front but ondy on the low side which is usually the port side but only if you're in the northern hemisphere if you're in the southerl hemisph're I can't help because I've never been but I expect it's the opposite. Guigsy might know. Or know somebody who knows.

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

Ah-ha!! OK, I get it now :) Thank you! x

Upvote 0

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021

It's done by reversing up the slope, so the front end is down and the back end is up. Then put the ramps in front of the front wheels and drive up onto them. As the front end goes up the ramps, the back end will come down the slope :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
I meant 'the front of the van' to mean the end that's at the front when you go down the hill (slope). That's the back if you went forwards up the slope in step one. if you reverse up the hill then the end that goes up the ramps is the end with the headlights but if you go forwards up the hill the front of the van when you go down the hill is the end with red lights on in which is back of the van when you're on the motorway but the back is the front when you're reversing down the slope but when you're adjusting for a lateral slope you have to use a ramp at the back and the front but ondy on the low side which is usually the port side but only if you're in the northern hemisphere if you're in the southerl hemisph're I can't help because I've never been but I expect it's the opposite. Guigsy might know. Or know somebody who knows.
🥴

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
It's done by reversing up the slope, so the front end is down and the back end is up. Then put the ramps in front of the front wheels and drive up onto them. As the front end goes up the ramps, the back end will come down the slope :)
👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
If the van is pointing down hill, put the ramps in front of the front wheels. If the van is pointing up hill, put them behind the back wheels and roll backwards.
Ahh it's easy when explained right (y)(y)

Reactions: HKF
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back