Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Only negative thing about our day yesterday in Aix was that when we returned back to the site, we found our hook-up cable wound up next to our van. A new arrival van next to us had plugged their lead into our socket.

To say we were a bit peeved was an understatement and we had to wait two hours before the new van’s occupants returned. We confronted them and it turns out that they saw only the two 16A euro type sockets, both of which were in use. They didn’t spot under hinged white covers, two 2-pin sockets. When we pointed them out, they admitted they had the correct adaptor. Whether or not they had the correct adaptor or not or indeed if there were only two sockets, the wrong thing to do was to just unplug our lead and plug their lead in. They made no attempt to contact reception who could have told them that each bourne had 4 sockets. The wife was contrite and apologised but the husband just shrugged.

In the event our fridge, being closed, meant that everything remained frozen in the freezer and cold enough in the fridge, so no actual harm done. But definitely annoying to encounter such selfish, anti-social behaviour.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We saw a Dutchman deal with a French guy who had done the same thing. There was a stand up row, with each repeatedly unplugging each others cables. Then the Dutch guy went back to his van, returned with a pair of snips before again removing the Frenchmans cable, before cutting off the plug. Cue much arm waving and shouting. Gendarme eventually arrived who just shrugged before leaving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
What a bloody cheek! I would have unplugged them immediately, definitely wouldn’t have waited.
I deliberately didn’t want to escalate this silly behaviour by unplugging their lead and re-plugging ours. One never knows the whole story; they could have had insulin or something. Of course, so could we but, in essence, two wrongs don’t make a right. My initial reaction was to unplug their lead but decided to wait until they returned and confront them. Had they stayed away much longer, then I probably would have plugged us back in. 👍

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Unbelievable arrogance from the guy, he should get himself one of these, but he probably thinks he's far too important to think sharing applies to him too ?
Screenshot_2024-09-25-08-54-32.png

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Should have added our general experience which has always been that all nationalities have offered to share limited EHU services across the continent. Always those that think they are more important than everyone else in every aspect of life. We see that often without leaving the UK. 😡

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Unbelievable arrogance from the guy, he should get himself one of these, but he probably thinks he's far too important to think sharing applies to him too ?View attachment 955225
We have one of these, just in case. But I’ve always presumed that if, say, the outlet provides 6amps, and three are connected to the one socket, you effectively are limited to 2amps each or possibly it will just trip if whoever uses 6amps or more?

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015
Worse happened to us at dieppe ! We plugged in and used our 3 way adaptor as everyone shares the sockets at dieppe . Popped out to eat and when we returned, we were unplugged and adapter gone . Luckily someone saw the culprit and Luckily I speak a little of the culprits language - after much shouting ( at me) he caved in , opened his locker and returned our adapter . Bad work!

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
My husband would've exploded, too!! There'd have been no holding him back.
While an understandable reaction, why add to a fairly minor problem with a possible assault charge or at the very least police involvement and bad feelings all round?

Thirty years ago, I would have reacted rather differently but I’ve mellowed (thankfully, Mrs Ingwe adds 😉).

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
While an understandable reaction, why add to a fairly minor problem with a possible assault charge or at the very least police involvement and bad feelings all round?

Thirty years ago, I would have reacted rather differently but I’ve mellowed (thankfully, Mrs Ingwe adds 😉).

Because that's the way he is.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
It’s gone!!😢
Exp
4 years….
Would have unplugged it then let the 2 Rabid Jack Russells chew up the plug😁😁😁

Had Germans in a Hymer van on the next pitch to us in Croatia, came out sat down and this very loud humming noise started then 5 minutes later stopped then started again🤬🤬
Looked over and they had the aircon on but the skylights were fully open😳😳went over and flipped the breaker on the post😁😁they came back a few hours later obviously looked at the breaker but never turned aircon on after that 😁😁

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
I deliberately didn’t want to escalate this silly behaviour by unplugging their lead and re-plugging ours. One never knows the whole story; they could have had insulin or something. Of course, so could we but, in essence, two wrongs don’t make a right. My initial reaction was to unplug their lead but decided to wait until they returned and confront them. Had they stayed away much longer, then I probably would have plugged us back in. 👍
Hi Ingwe
Nice reply.... BUT.... You could have had medical equipment being powered up.......... Cannot fault your thinking and it puts you in a place well above them. Fair play to you.
Tea Bag

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
What a bloody cheek! I would have unplugged them immediately, definitely wouldn’t have waited.
This^^^^^^^^^^
I would have unplugged their lead and thrown it in the bin so they couldn’t plug back in, then I would consider burning down their van….😎
& This^^^^^^^^^^^^

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
We do actually carry insulin on board.
If the Insulin gets damaged, that is the end of the trip.
Mrs Brains would be on the next plane home the same day.

Personally I'd have unplugged them.

I'd have considered the other reasonable options,
(such as chopping up the cable, installing the Claymore mine to the electrical bollard etc.)
before possibly offering them use of my splitter socket upon their return.

As a FYI:
I have dymo labels with our reg plate number on all the plugs and sockets.

In a crowded (usually German) campsite where you find the bollards are few and far between,
which means multiple cables all fitted with multiple splitters snake across the site,
you can very easily see which cable and splitter belongs to which vehicle.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Clear proof that human behaviour has dropped to the gutter since the end of capital punishment.

Bombing Palestine, sending missiles into Lebanon killing hundreds, retaliating with rockets into Israel causing much damage...

...These actions are but nothing when compared to disconnecting someone's EHU plug...

One doesn't come across such low life's when "off-site" motorhoming. ;)

JJ :cool:

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Only negative thing about our day yesterday in Aix was that when we returned back to the site, we found our hook-up cable wound up next to our van. A new arrival van next to us had plugged their lead into our socket.

To say we were a bit peeved was an understatement and we had to wait two hours before the new van’s occupants returned. We confronted them and it turns out that they saw only the two 16A euro type sockets, both of which were in use. They didn’t spot under hinged white covers, two 2-pin sockets. When we pointed them out, they admitted they had the correct adaptor. Whether or not they had the correct adaptor or not or indeed if there were only two sockets, the wrong thing to do was to just unplug our lead and plug their lead in. They made no attempt to contact reception who could have told them that each bourne had 4 sockets. The wife was contrite and apologised but the husband just shrugged.

In the event our fridge, being closed, meant that everything remained frozen in the freezer and cold enough in the fridge, so no actual harm done. But definitely annoying to encounter such selfish, anti-social behaviour.
Does your fridge not automatically revert to gas if the EHU is disconnected ?
(Ours does)

That said, obviously payback is required for this appalling level of camp etiquette.

After dark tonight I'd recommend throwing a lot crumbled bread on top of their van.
The birds will find it at dawn and an entire flock could be stamping on the roof whist pecking around.
Nothing like an early start!

I'm sure a few other Motorhome fun associates can come up with other subtle items for revenge.

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Does your fridge not automatically revert to gas if the EHU is disconnected ?
(Ours does)

That said, obviously payback is required for this appalling level of camp etiquette.

After dark tonight I'd recommend throwing a lot crumbled bread on top of their van.
The birds will find it at dawn and an entire flock could be stamping on the roof whist pecking around.
Nothing like an early start!

I'm sure a few other Motorhome fun associates can come up with other subtle items for revenge.
No, our fridge doesn’t revert to gas in the absence of electricity either mains or battery.
As for revenge-naw, the world’s effed up enough as it is, without getting fired up with trivialities. I know you are only kidding……I hope.🤞🏻👍😀

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
No. But I deliberately didn’t mention the nationalities as to me it is irrelevant. It is just bad behaviour.
Nicely put.
You are a good man. Nice to see a sensible and balanced response. (y)

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Joking aside, this reminds me of a time on busy French aire, while plugging in a French man was flummoxed as the plugs were the new standard and his lead was 2 pin, he was rather concerned so I lent him my spare.

Anyway the couple didn’t really take much notice of me the rest of the day and when very early in the next morning I could hear them drive off I thought that’s the last I’ve seen of my spare cable and when up later out the door step was my coiled cable and a bottle of wine… 🍷 :france:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Joking aside, this reminds me of a time on busy French aire, while plugging in a French man was flummoxed as the plugs were the new standard and his lead was 2 pin, he was rather concerned so I lent him my spare.

Anyway the couple didn’t really take much notice of me the rest of the day and when very early in the next morning I could hear them drive off I thought that’s the last I’ve seen of my spare cable and when up later out the door step was my coiled cable and a bottle of wine… 🍷 :france:
This reminds me of a site in France when someone's lead was about 4 inches short of the bollard and he had to move his van, eh Just smiffy :giggler:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back