'Check Engine' (1 Viewer)

Sep 4, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi all, I had my Fiat Ducato based Swift Bolero in for its MoT yesterday and was delighted when it sailed through for the eighth year in a row. My euphoria was, however, short-lived. After only a couple of miles, the yellow engine symbol appeared on the dashboard together with the words 'check engine'. This was accompanied by a reduction in power. I limped it home and called the garage to ask if the MoT and the fault could be connected, and was told no that it couldn't be. They've agreed to connect it to a scanner tomorrow to try and identify the problem. I was just wondering if anybody had encountered a similar problem.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Why don't you check it yourself with a basic obd scanner . At least it will give you some idea before the garage gives you the bad news, they are not expensive.
If they have connected to your obd to check emissions etc it may just need a reset or erase of the error light and then recheck on a short run. Could be something as simple as an O2 sensor.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Could be anything.

Mine was an exhaust sensor, £90 later and all fixed.

Fingers crossed for you.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
called the garage to ask if the MoT and the fault could be connected, and was told no that it couldn't be.
No of course not. Nothing to do with us. No of course we haven't run your engine hard off load to do the emissions test. No of course we couldn't possibly have over revved it. Nah. Pure fluke mate.

It's the fact that they immediately deny it could have anything to do with it that's annoying.

If they turned round saying bring it back and we will have a look, but think it is probably a coincidence, that's fine... just the flat denial.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Tommymac
Sep 4, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ok, so connected an OBD scanner and it displayed fault P0238. A quick check shows a turbo/booster sensor issue. (Sure I heard my credit card groan!!) Hopefully, it's just a glitch and it can he reset at the garage. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks for the replies 👍

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Ok, so connected an OBD scanner and it displayed fault P0238. A quick check shows a turbo/booster sensor issue. (Sure I heard my credit card groan!!) Hopefully, it's just a glitch and it can he reset at the garage. I'll update tomorrow. Thanks for the replies 👍
why not just clear it yourself?

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
One of the problems with the mot is it's your responsibility to ensure the engine can be run to the required revs for the emissions test ie cambelt, timing chain if they snap it's up to you to fix not the garages they have a disclaimer. And a job to do.

OP
OP
Tommymac
Sep 4, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
The OBD scanner's instruction manual says you should not erase codes without first having it checked by a technician. I'm not overly technically minded, so would rather have it checked first to make sure that there's no underlying problem.

OP
OP
Tommymac
Sep 4, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
One of the problems with the mot is it's your responsibility to ensure the engine can be run to the required revs for the emissions test ie cambelt, timing chain if they snap it's up to you to fix not the garages they have a disclaimer. And a job to do.
Don't disagree with any of that.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I check and clear mine all the time, you should do the same. You have the fault code now, so should it be required, you can quote it.

Id not have the garage read it and quote some silly figures for you, just clear it and take it for a run. If it comes on again and is the same code, then take it and chat to them, but I doubt it will. This is the type of blank cheques that garages are looking for.

It’s entirely up to you, but I’d recommend clearing and a run out. Incidentally, what engine and age is it.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
See if the obd scanner can erase it, if yes go for a drive and see if it comes back on. Just clearing it won't do any harm.the mot checks may have instigated the fault code.

OP
OP
Tommymac
Sep 4, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I check and clear mine all the time, you should do the same. You have the fault code now, so should it be required, you can quote it.

Id not have the garage read it and quote some silly figures for you, just clear it and take it for a run. If it comes on again and is the same code, then take it and chat to them, but I doubt it will. This is the type of blank cheques that garages are looking for.

It’s entirely up to you, but I’d recommend clearing and a run out. Incidentally, what engine and age is it.
Thanks PP Bear. Jimbohorlicks said said something similar. I'll give it a try. You're right, it could cost me a few bob to do what I can do myself.
The 'van is the 2.3, 150hp version from 2012. 👍

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
I had 3 warning lights on my dash after this years MOT, the day before we were due to go to Italy. Got the mechanic to show me the codes on the OBD reader so I could take a photo then he cleared them for me. Gave it a bit of a blast on the dual carriageways after and it’s been fine ever since.

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
My engine management light has been on for 5 years garages can’t find the problem so just reset it. So maybe this OBD thingy is the answer. Where can I get one from and what do I do with it? It’s a 2011 ducato. Thanks

Nov 27, 2020
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
Totally agree I would clear the codes and give it a hard run low gear lot of revs. Mot centre's tend to leave vehicles on tick over for some time even after checking the exhaust red out. It can cause the sensors to hiccup

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Looking forward to an update and hopefully all cleared and happy motoring 👍🏻

OP
OP
Tommymac
Sep 4, 2021
Norfolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Looking forward to an update and hopefully all cleared and happy motoring 👍🏻
And the update is ...
After connecting the obd scanner and getting a code - PO238, I erased it. Took the 'van for a drive, and within half a mile, it alarmed again. Took it to the garage yesterday afternoon and the guy plugged it in to their all singing, all dancing scanner ... same code! He said it had something to do with the turbo/boost system, which tied in with my Fiat handbook. He checked everything accessible, but found no obvious fault. I left it with them overnight, and this morning they reported that they'd replaced the turbo control valve, and all seems to be OK. I collected the 'van this afternoon and drove it 8 miles home. No problems, no alarms. £150 including part and labour, which I don't think is too bad. Was it connected to the MoT process? Who knows? How do you prove it either way? No idea. I'm just happy to be up and running again 😊. Thanks for all replies and suggestions. Happy travels! 👍

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Here are 2 reason codes one is fiat specific and the second totally generic.
Fiat 2P0238turbo pressure - low pressure,
GenericP0238Turbocharger Boost Sensor A Circuit High

They both refer to the turbo solenoid valve. Its a vacuum opperated device with a rubber diaphragm that can split (analagous to the old CV Carbs) a low vacuum can also be due to split or poor fitting pipes (fitted behind the dymax unit on x290s)
Note : difference between the codes one relates to a low vaccum the other electrical high. Do they signify different faults? No, are in same area but each suggests s different approach. manufactures do mess about with the codes even certain generic ones. It has been suggested that this is a consumable device to be replaced evry 24,000 miles.
At least you are all sorted now.

Jul 14, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Dorest E
Exp
Jul 22
My engine management light has been on for 5 years garages can’t find the problem so just reset it. So maybe this OBD thingy is the answer. Where can I get one from and what do I do with it? It’s a 2011 ducato. Thanks
Amazon have them, ours was around £8 then just download an obd app

Screenshot_20230917_143532_One UI Home.jpg

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Simple obd readers may be seen as better than nothing but for a Ducato multiecuscan is the most appropriate piece of software for windows. There is also plenty of experience here and on the fiat forum on how to use it. For example with Tommymac s problem multiecuscan has a test procedure for the turbo solenoid valve

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back