Check Airbag Warning, can I still drive the van? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
As some of you might know, I've not used the van this year because I couldn't face it without Kerry who I unexpectedly had to put to sleep in January.

So, I noticed today the control panel was reporting the vehicle battery a very low charge
I admittedly have been very remiss about putting the van on hook up.

The engine fired up straight away, 1st time [after I remembered to disable the MetaTrack] but I got the dreaded "Check Airbag" warning.

I'm presuming I've knackered the module due to the low vehicle battery.

I know Crashdata* will repair said module for about £85 but I don't have the tools to remove it.
[*and apparently the fault can reappear]

Apart from spending a lot of money at Citroen, what are my immediate options?
Can I drive it with [safely] with the warning?
If so for how long
I understand it's an MOT fail.

I'm having some maintenance done at the end of August [new leisure batteries & fridge 240v element], so could it wait until then?
As the 7 yrs old leisure batteries are being replaced, would it make sense to also replace the vehicle battery?

The van is on hook up now, so I'll see what the voltages are in 24/48h

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Yes you can drive with the airbag warning light on , I drove around most of a France trip as it came on part way through.
No issues, I don’t think it’s the best idea to drive with the module removed but not sure.

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
If you look on eBay neo brothers do the ECU from £160 (genuine part) new if in any doubt contact seller and they will tell you which one you want,any decent garage should be able to fit and code (20 min job) fairly sure the older ones have been superceded with a new part number

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
You can drive it but don't crash it at any sort of speed as the airbags won't deploy. If the vehicle battery is as old as the leisure batteries then you may as well change that whilst it's having the other work done

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
When ours appeared when we were parked outside Tesco at Shepton Mallet just before going into the showground two or three years ago, I rang Fiat Camper Support from the car park who told me it was fine to drive and to get it checked out when home, and also that it it might clear itself. We did the show, then drove home with it on. (approx 220 miles). Parked it up, emptied out all the laundry etc. Went back to it a couple of days later having rung our garage who asked me to check the mileage. Turned it on, and started it up .... No light. :LOL:

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Yes it is fine to drive with light on. You just won’t have airbags that work. Possibly you only have a steering wheel one anyway, so no difference for the passenger. It will be like the old days (or everyday for me) where you just don’t have an airbag.

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
If you look on eBay neo brothers do the ECU from £160 (genuine part) new if in any doubt contact seller and they will tell you which one you want,any decent garage should be able to fit and code (20 min job) fairly sure the older ones have been superceded with a new part number
Just been & had a look at the Neo Brothers website:
Appears I have a choice of two, one at £300, one at £150

I've watched Youtube so I think I can get at it to hopefully take a photo to reveal the part number.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Ref tools it's only 1 socket / spanner. 10mm I think ( but check).
3 bolts to remove and 2 clip on connectors. Plus recommended to remove battery negative before starting replacement.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I know Crashdata* will repair said module for about £85 but I don't have the tools to remove it.
After disconnecting the vehicle battery there are only three nuts to remove (sorry but can't remember the size).
Unplug the two connectors that are into the side of the ECU.
Lift it out.
[*and apparently the fault can reappear]
We got ours done by Crash Data back in March 2020 and we've been lucky with it still functioning (well, until I start it up tomorrow morning!)
I understand it's an MOT fail.
It is an MoT failure as it happened when I started it up to take it to the MoT centre!

edit: ps this is what it will look like.
1717247056054.png

Bottom left is one of the three bolts.
The other two are at the top (under the black insulation).
The two plugs are on the right.

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Try disconnecting the battery from the earth terminal turn the ign on press brake pedal a couple of time as well as the lights on and off. So there is not any power in the system. Charge the battery fully then reconnect. Some faults will clear after 6 starts and no reoccurrence. Not saying this will fix it but it cost’s nothing to try.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
When ours appeared when we were parked outside Tesco at Shepton Mallet just before going into the showground two or three years ago, I rang Fiat Camper Support from the car park who told me it was fine to drive and to get it checked out when home, and also that it it might clear itself. We did the show, then drove home with it on. (approx 220 miles). Parked it up, emptied out all the laundry etc. Went back to it a couple of days later having rung our garage who asked me to check the mileage. Turned it on, and started it up .... No light. :LOL:
We were the same but it came back about a month later!:crying:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
I'm presuming I've knackered the module due to the low vehicle battery.
sorry, not advice.. best of luck having it repaired..

just amazed that a electronic module, critical to safety, can be irreparable damaged by low voltage.. hardly a rare occurrence..

very poor design IMV , or a just a clever way of Fiat making money

May 17, 2022
Stelling Minnis, Canterbury, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 1998
Yes you can drive with the airbag warning light on , I drove around most of a France trip as it came on part way through.
No issues, I don’t think it’s the best idea to drive with the module removed but not sure.
Mine was removed and was told that it was ok to drive vehicle. Only annoying thing was millage reading flashed continuously. Did a fiver day trip like it.

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
little tip add an earth to the module when you fit it dead easy straight to the battery terminal

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
This thread has photos and instructions. Don’t want to jinx it, but ours repaired in 2020 by Crashdata

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Think I 'could' do it but simply don't have the tools.

Reassuring to know I can drive it albeit without Airbags
Reassuring to know I could drive it without the module

Reassurance that airbags can't deploy inadvertently ?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Think I 'could' do it but simply don't have the tools.

Reassuring to know I can drive it albeit without Airbags
Reassuring to know I could drive it without the module

Reassurance that airbags can't deploy inadvertently ?
Much cheaper than getting garage to do it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Cheaper even if I go where there's a well equipped funster ::bigsmile:
Trouble is, I'm not planning on going anywhere :doh:.

Plan F, if all else fails is a friend's son who has every tool under the sun.

Maintenance bods doing the other work, have replied to my email enquiry [gold ⭐ for working on Saturday] but they've gone all technical about further tests etc etc​
But I do know that there is a TSB (Citroën technical service bulletin) for airbag fault and you have to replace the airbag and fit a new earth with e from the stud of the airbag ecu to an earth point.
The only problem is it will need to go on a diag machine to check if that's the problem then we will need to order the ecu, that can take weeks to come. Then fit.

Don't think I'll be doing that...

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Cheaper even if I go where there's a well equipped funster ::bigsmile:
Trouble is, I'm not planning on going anywhere :doh:.
It's called mobile technician seeking beer!
Plan F, if all else fails is a friend's son who has every tool under the sun.
Given the following I'd be moving it up the priority scale!
Maintenance bods doing the other work, have replied to my email enquiry [gold ⭐ for working on Saturday] but they've gone all technical about further tests etc etc​
But I do know that there is a TSB (Citroën technical service bulletin) for airbag fault and you have to replace the airbag and fit a new earth with e from the stud of the airbag ecu to an earth point.
The only problem is it will need to go on a diag machine to check if that's the problem then we will need to order the ecu, that can take weeks to come. Then fit.

Don't think I'll be doing that...

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Not really as new one needs alignment,time to remove/free edit 10 mins max

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back