Charging EcoFlow power bank from solar panel (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Nov 19, 2013
york
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi All

Please excuse my ignorance re this.

We recently bought a 2nd hand van with a panel (120W?) already mounted. This goes through the box shown.

I also have a small EcoFlow power bank which we used in our old van and is useful for a hair dryer etc.

So my question is, how do I charge this from the panel on the roof? The EcoFlow has its own MTTP in the box so it just the case of splitting the wires before they go into the control box in the van? Any guidance is appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_2033.jpeg

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
You could do that either via a suitable switch or rely or simple plug and socket arrangement,but you then would only be charging your lb or pp,120w isn't a lot and on cloudy days is almost useless,why not get say a 200w folding panel,that could charge the pp or be plugged into charge the lb alongside the existing panel

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't you want to charge the hab and vehicle batteries anymore? If you connect the existing panel to the ecoflow you might well find your other batteries getting flat. If you do decide to connect the ecoflow and it has a solar input with a built in regulator I would wire from your panel directly to that not through the existing regulator as I would have thought the ecoflow has a lithium battery unless your existing regulator has a lithium setting and your willing to constantly alter it. Seems a lot of hassle for an occasional hair dryer!
Sorry just realised read your post the ecoflow has an mppt regulator so I'd say straight from the panel to that if you're going to connect it.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have just bought (so very little about these things) a VTOMAN 1500X POWERBANK and their instructions answer to a customer question 'Can I charge the Powerbank and use at the same time?' is

Answer: NO, far better to FULLY charge the POWERBANK, BEFORE plugging in the 230v appliance but
Smaller USB plugs on the POWERBANK, CAN be used whilst charging on Solar.

My question to you is: IF your POWERBANK is permanently connected to your Solar, will it not be charging and using the 230v hairdryer, at the same time? 🤔

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
chaser yes they all charge via 12v but slow, max 10a i think.
I have our power bank and solar charger on a change over switch and it can easy top up the leisure batteries then switch over to pb. I do have 340 watts of solar though.
In the ops case i would go for a folding panel direct to pb. They could then fit a second solar controller to feed batteries when pb is full

Oct 27, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort PVC
So my question is, how do I charge this from the panel on the roof? The EcoFlow has its own MTTP in the box so it just the case of splitting the wires before they go into the control box in the van? Any guidance is appreciated.
I've seem someone fit a switch into the position where the solar wiring goes into the existing van solar controller. The panel wires go to "common" terminals on the switch with the switch position dictating if the panel is connected to the van controller or a flying lead which plugs into the powerbank.

Here's the facebook link, not sure if it will work if you're not a member of their group though

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Extension lead?

61DHDSEl4bL._AC_UY218_.jpg
My cigar lighter plugs are only powered when the ignition is on and that means driving. When I'm driving, ALL the batteries are being charged already but thanks. 🙂

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
My question to you is: IF your POWERBANK is permanently connected to your Solar, will it not be charging and using the 230v hairdryer, at the same time? 🤔

Ecoflows can do both charging and AC use at same time, ditto DC. There is zero such restrictions on them, which is why they are better than many rival powerbanks. YOu can even AC charge them whilst using AC off back of them.

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
We also use an external array with our Ecoflow. We could use the one on van roof, it worked, but a cheap chinese solar panel (200W) keeps it going far better, and you can move it as sun moves so you harvest more. 100W would probably meet all our use.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It's not a good idea to link a solar panel to two solar controllers at the same time. Any solar controller tries to actively control the voltage and amps of the panel, so two controllers would be competing with each other with unpredictable results.

An alternative is to wire a changeover switch to flip the panel between the two controllers as required.

Another possibility is to get a dual output solar controller, wire the first output to the leisure battery as it is now, and the second output to the 12V charging input of the power pack (not the MPPT input). On most dual controllers you can set the percentage going to each battery, so you could set it to 50:50.

Admittedly, the maximum charging amps into the Ecoflow 12V charging socket is 8A, so about 100W, which is not very much, but if you only have a 120W panel then that is not going to be a problem.

TR5

Apr 30, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All

We recently bought a 2nd hand van with a panel (120W?) already mounted. This goes through the box shown.

I also have a small EcoFlow power bank which we used in our old van and is useful for a hair dryer etc.

Thanks

View attachment 913090
That’s very much ‘Rob Peter to pay Paul’ scenario. There is zero benefit.
That’s a bit like, having one car between two people when you both need to drive at the same time.

Use a portable solar panel to charge the power bank, and make the most of when the sun shines.

May 19, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria V65SL Abarth
My cigar lighter plugs are only powered when the ignition is on and that means driving. When I'm driving, ALL the batteries are being charged already but thanks.
Hi All

Thanks

View attachment 913090The

That’s very much ‘Rob Peter to pay Paul’ scenario. There is zero benefit.
That’s a bit like, having one car between two people when you both need to drive at the same time.

Use a portable solar panel to charge the power bank, and make the most of when the sun shines.
I have mine setup and it works just how I want it I have a 200w panel on the roof with a Fogstar 220amp powering the van I have a BLUETTI ac200in the back of the van which I use to do the 240v stuff I have a 200w panel on the roof connected to this so all separate I also have a 500w victron device that can route 500w of power from the leisure battery to the AC 200 max while driving or stationary. This to me is amazing as my van thinks it’s on hook up all the time and we have never ending AC and DC a bit expensive but do this once and you are sorted for years

May 8, 2016
Comrie
Funster No
MH
VW Crafter PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The solar panel connection for the Ecoflow is different (I believe) from the connection to your vehicle power system and as others have pointed out the existing panel produces just a little. In my van I am in the process of putting 2 Ecoflow 120w panels on the roof just to support the Ecoflow delta. What I do when I arrive on site if I am paying for EHU I charge my Ecoflow delta and my Jackery 1000 from the 230v mains electric which is very quick. In addition I have portable panels to charge my Jackery. My main system has B2B charging and the whole thing works well for me although I should stress that I designed the van so that everything that possibly could be runs off 12v. Exoflow do some good portable solar panels.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
I have mine setup and it works just how I want it I have a 200w panel on the roof with a Fogstar 220amp powering the van I have a BLUETTI ac200in the back of the van which I use to do the 240v stuff I have a 200w panel on the roof connected to this so all separate I also have a 500w victron device that can route 500w of power from the leisure battery to the AC 200 max while driving or stationary. This to me is amazing as my van thinks it’s on hook up all the time and we have never ending AC and DC a bit expensive but do this once and you are sorted for years
Would this work on prolonged wet winters weeks in winter or does one have to chase the sun? 🤔

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
The solar panel connection for the Ecoflow is different (I believe) from the connection to your vehicle power system and as others have pointed out the existing panel produces just a little. In my van I am in the process of putting 2 Ecoflow 120w panels on the roof just to support the Ecoflow delta. What I do when I arrive on site if I am paying for EHU I charge my Ecoflow delta and my Jackery 1000 from the 230v mains electric which is very quick. In addition I have portable panels to charge my Jackery. My main system has B2B charging and the whole thing works well for me although I should stress that I designed the van so that everything that possibly could be runs off 12v. Exoflow do some good portable solar panels.
You seem to have a very expensive setup, must be at least £3000+ yet you still use EHU hookup sites?
Can I ask why because, even before I purchased my one S/H PowerPack and free standing Solar panel, I used very little EHU during the summer months and only paid a maximum of £5 per night extra for reliable 230v electricity during the winter months when I camped for only about 60 nights all winter and so that's £300 a year.

The cost of your setup would last me years because, if your anything like me, you will buy extra Solar equipment to try and improve what you already have. 🙂

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
You seem to have a very expensive setup, must be at least £3000+ yet you still use EHU hookup sites?
Can I ask why because, even before I purchased my one S/H PowerPack and free standing Solar panel, I used very little EHU during the summer months and only paid a maximum of £5 per night extra for reliable 230v electricity during the winter months when I camped for only about 60 nights all winter and so that's £300 a year.

The cost of your setup would last me years because, if your anything like me, you will buy extra Solar equipment t

o try and improve what you already have. 🙂
All this is beyond me, we have 200w solar two 100a matt batteries and one 100a engine battery, we have no fancy lithium or b2b just the bog standard Chinese solar controller and we never get anywhere near running out of power , never hookup unless it comes in the price.
My big problem is finding things to use all the spare electric.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have dallied on buying one of these power bank things purely to use some spare electric but then think when they get charged I shall be back to square one with even more electric to get rid of.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
I have dallied on buying one of these power bank things purely to use some spare electric but then think when they get charged I shall be back to square one with even more electric to get rid of.
chaser compresser fridge would use your spare leccy lol

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
chaser yes they all charge via 12v but slow, max 10a i think.
I have our power bank and solar charger on a change over switch and it can easy top up the leisure batteries then switch over to pb. I do have 340 watts of solar though.
In the ops case i would go for a folding panel direct to pb. They could then fit a second solar controller to feed batteries when pb is full
You won't get 10A from a 120w panel anyway

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
What I do when I arrive on site if I am paying for EHU I charge my Ecoflow delta and my Jackery 1000 from the 230v mains electric which is very quick.
No need to go to a camp site if it's so quick. You could charge them up from an EV charging point. You can get a special cable that connects the EV charger to the round blue EHU inlet, so you can probably charge everything up in a couple of hours. Then you'd be OK for a couple of days at least.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No need to go to a camp site if it's so quick. You could charge them up from an EV charging point. You can get a special cable that connects the EV charger to the round blue EHU inlet, so you can probably charge everything up in a couple of hours. Then you'd be OK for a couple of days at least.
If you find the right place it might be free as well. 👍 ;)

May 16, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey Alliance 66-2
The big difference between the Ecoflow and other units I've used (I have an Allpowers) is the allpowers takes 8 hours to charge... and the ecoflow at max rate takes 50 mins on EHU or a EV plug (it charges at a peak of 1200W, so about same as heat in the van!).
We rarely charge it on hookup anyhow, as it's usually full from solar except in winter anyhow.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
An answer would be nice? 🤔
Mine never fails through winter, I honestly don't know why folks say it won't, I seem to have some sort of miracle setup.
I am overwhelmed with electricity.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back