Changed Throttle control Actuator van runs much better (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 13, 2023
All over Europe now
Funster No
MH
Adria 680ST Gold
been getting the dreaded code 0638 for several months , always reset with OBD and sometimes it would stay away for weeks ,, the van seemed to run fine, plenty power and smooth . average fuel consumption 27 mpg ,

However after my recent horrible trip in France ,, the code stayed on and would not reset ,,the van went limp a few times .

So bought a new Throttle control actuator from Coastal Motorhomes , it was the upgraded Marelli part with the new loom attached and adaptor for connector and gaskets .

getting the old one off was a bit of a pain as the bolts tend to rust into the engine , well documented in my recent threads about my terrible holiday , ended up having to drill 2 broken bolts out ,, However once that was done installation was a breeze .

also checked MAP and EGR are clean and sprayed top of engine around head bolts , injectors etc with loads of WD

Recent test drives of 20 -30 miles in all conditions show fault completely removed , van actually drives even smoother , accelerates quicker , revs faster and fuel consumption reduced now averaging 29mpg thats 2 mpg better .

Total cost for just the parts £234 , but if a garage does it add £400-700 ????? for labour VAT etc .

next job is change oil and filters

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
been getting the dreaded code 0638 for several months , always reset with OBD and sometimes it would stay away for weeks ,, the van seemed to run fine, plenty power and smooth . average fuel consumption 27 mpg ,

However after my recent horrible trip in France ,, the code stayed on and would not reset ,,the van went limp a few times .

So bought a new Throttle control actuator from Coastal Motorhomes , it was the upgraded Marelli part with the new loom attached and adaptor for connector and gaskets .

getting the old one off was a bit of a pain as the bolts tend to rust into the engine , well documented in my recent threads about my terrible holiday , ended up having to drill 2 broken bolts out ,, However once that was done installation was a breeze .

also checked MAP and EGR are clean and sprayed top of engine around head bolts , injectors etc with loads of WD

Recent test drives of 20 -30 miles in all conditions show fault completely removed , van actually drives even smoother , accelerates quicker , revs faster and fuel consumption reduced now averaging 29mpg thats 2 mpg better .

Total cost for just the parts £234 , but if a garage does it add £400-700 ????? for labour VAT etc .

next job is change oil and filters
Did the original unit look like this inside?
1719922374911.jpeg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Not as bad as that one did you change it ??
This was on our previous motorhome (3.0l Peugeot) and although it was a known problem I ended up paying around £600 at the time as it was just out of warranty. The replacement then failed shortly after and was replaced under warranty with the up graded version and harness,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back