Chains or locks whilst out and about. (3 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Looking for advise on what chains or locks for our 2 new ebikes.
The store have a wide range but I only saw 1 set that specifically had a grinder proof symbol they are €269 is this excessive as we would need two.
20240905_135125.jpg
20240905_135134.jpg

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We use a D Lock, a metal one that folds away and a couple of normal combinations. We’re thinking of purchasing quick release pedals as this would prevent anyone peddling away, I think all we’re trying to do is make our bikes slightly harder to nick than the ones next to it but if they want them they take them.
The thing with the grinder proof ones is they’ll just cut the pole, few YouTube videos where they cut the metal the bike is secured to so no lock would prevent this.

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
New bikes as well :LOL: good grief, I would have thought that one decent lock would do two bikes and make them less easy to pick up and carry way if no convenient posts are to hand to lock them around.
To be honest that was the reason for visiting the salon 😆😆.
It's been an expensive week.

Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Looking for advise on what chains or locks for our 2 new ebikes.
The store have a wide range but I only saw 1 set that specifically had a grinder proof symbol they are €269 is this excessive as we would need two.View attachment 945292View attachment 945293

My view is two fold. The securing methods need to be easy to use, I hate spending five mins and four locks securing the bikes, but it’s necessary on occasion having been the victim of bike theft in Spain. Also be smart. Two locks of the right variety can secure both bikes twice!

Can you fit ‘Dutch’ through the wheel locks to your bikes? These are very easy to use. They also often have a chain (available separately) which you can use to secure to trees and posts.

Second, you just want yours to look a less attractive proposition to steal than the next ones. Thieves are inherently lazy and will usually take the easiest option.

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
The more locks the better and they don’t have to be high end either.

Three average locks rather than one very expensive lock.

Thieves hate the buggeration factor.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
We just bought an additional lock with textile sheathed chain from Aldi. £5.99.
There are quite substantial and will add to our other locking and securing devices. Probably not grinder proof but just an extra lock to get through(y)another few minutes to remove.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
New bikes as well :LOL: good grief, I would have thought that one decent lock would do two bikes and make them less easy to pick up and carry way if no convenient posts are to hand to lock them around.
Insurance companies require each bike to be secured separably
Those type are horrible to use, I know I've got one.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
I would take the batteries off and carry them in a rucksack and use a few different locks where I could.

Angle grinders get nearly everything off.

I simply wouldn’t leave them unattended if I could help it.

As others have said, just make your neighbours easier to steal.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As a rule of thumb the cost of the locks should be about 20% of the value of the bike.

Two (or more) different locks, so a thief needs two different tools to get through your locks

Unless you have a high end road bike, the Dutch rear wheel clamps are good as a second lock.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just hand paint them so they look rough even the wheels and tyres no one will steal them as they will have no resale value 🙂

We had our two Raleigh bikes stolen just outside Nice, they weren’t fancy and being UK bikes had the brakes the opposite way round which you’d think would reduce the sell on value. They had 3 locks on them and in full view of cctv cameras and still got stolen, if they want them they’ll take them no matter the condition.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
You have a light bike they are really difficult on a modern e-bike with large section framing.

We use them on our 2 Haibikes which are Ebikes very similar to the ones the ops have just purchased.

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
They have to be a minimum of Gold standard for the insurance I have just taken out. £18 a month for both bikes with Sunday insurance.

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
We use these:

Lock the 2 bikes either side of a fixed structure with the 'D' part, thread the cable bit through the wheels/frames head to tail. One bike has pannier bags on to carry them in. Take batteries off. We don't do thief central cities like Londinium / Cambridge / York etc.

We also have a motorcycle cable lock to add to the mix if we are worried.

They are insured on the house insurance, although that isn't useful to your other thread.

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Few years now
We have a couple of cable type locks when we leave the bikes. I also take the batteries off and put them in a rucksack if the bikes are out of view.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I use a gold rated d-lock and a separate cable lock. Both are easy to break. But they need to use different tools. I figure it's less likely a thief will be carrying a full kit.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lock the 2 bikes either side of a fixed structure with the 'D' part, thread the cable bit through the wheels/frames head to tail. One bike has pannier bags on to carry them in. Take batteries off. We don't do thief central cities like Londinium / Cambridge / York etc.
OK providing you use separate locks for each bike, if both bikes are locked together they won't be covered by insurance.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
No-one has mentioned the cable with alarm if cut or disconnected why, are they no good? 😥

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back