Can someone "fact check" my plan - Victron 250w phoenix inverter with photo (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Nice new 250w inverter arrived yesterday from Offgrid Solutions, thank you RogerIvy and nigelivy !!!

So, in the photo you can see my 300ah lithium fogstar and where there used to be a second battery under the bench seat (previous owner took it with him I assume) but negative and positive are still attached to the battery, ie parallel setup.
So, my plan (if it's not stupid) is simply connect positive to positive on inverter, negative to negative to inverter and secure inverter. Thats it literally. I plan to physically only use it to charge mobility scooter battery when in the motorhome, Im not wiring it to the hab to make all my plugs live, it will be a standalone plug which I will switch off completely between uses.
Therefore I believe Im right in saying I don't need to ground the inverter seperately?
Also, there's already a fuse in the positive lead so that's covered.

Any thoughts?

IMG_5557.jpeg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You need to fit an inline fuse close to the battery and an isolation switch.
All the cables to the battery look very undersize to me & not a good idea the way all the connections have been taken direct to the battery, far better to have a single cable to the battery going to a busbar.

OP
OP
PaulC70
May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
this might be a stupid question too and i get that an isolation switch is to isolate the inverter from the battery but does the switch on the inverter not already do that?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Cables are standard as fitted by Bailey
That explains it all Brit built vans use undersize wiring.

The switch on the inverter when it is off the inverter is in standby mode power is still connected to it.

Those switches are not very good they get warm with just 30 amps flowing through them.
Better to fit a branded one like Blue Sea, three times the price but there is a reason for that.
Roger stocks them or you can get them on Amazon.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
Here is a link to a Victron isolator

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun