Can 3D Printing be the answer? (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I’ve no experience of 3D printing but have noticed a few threads here where people have had plastic bits replaced by creating a replacement with a 3D printer. I have to say that I have no idea how these futuristic things work but wondered whether it would be possible for a part, no longer available, to be made using such a printer.
I damaged one of the end caps for our 2012 Bailey (see photo). It should look like the one in the other photo which is the one on the other side of the van.
If it is possible, apart from dimensions, what else is required? If necessary, I could send the good one as a template. I wouldn’t care if the colour didn’t match as I could paint it grey myself.
Thanks.
IMG_3017.jpeg
IMG_3018.jpeg

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It's a non structural part, and the detail isn't too fine. So 3d printing with a weather proof material like PETG, abs or asa should work. The shape is a bit odd, so it might need supports to help it print. But if you're prepared to sand and paint it, you should get a pretty good looking part.

The fun will be making the shape and getting it a tight enough fit. A bit of sealant behind it would help.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
3D printing per se is not the issue here. The real issue is: can you master the 3D design software which generates the 'plot' for the printer to follow ?
I'd suggest that, unless you want to go into business, it's a non-starter, especially for a one off.
As a start I'd recommend getting some of the free software for your preferred computing platform, then try to design something simple, like a small cube stacked on a larger one. Have a look at one of the many primers available ont'internet.

3D scanners are becoming affordable, if you can remove the un-damaged one then send it to professionals who can scan it and reproduce it exactly. You'll still have colour matching issue tho'.

Or Isopon P38 carefully applied and worked would do that job

Personally, I'm contemplating replacing my Fiat badge stolen from Hattie Hymer's radiator grill with a 3D print (But not emblazoned 'Fiat'). I do have the IT skills (and can afford €4-500 for a toy to play with) but dunno if I have the patience anymore ...

(Edited for spells and further thoughts)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Give PaulandChrissy a shout, they do 3d printing and may be able to help, i've had stuff made by them and they do a good job.

Pete

OP
OP
Ingwe
Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
If you can send me a good one from the other side for me to work from, I can print it in mirror image for the damaged side. Its a challenging shape but I can do that.
Thank you. Are you able to give me an indication of the likely cost please and also possible time estimates? Can pm me if you prefer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back