Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 14, 2022
Connemara
Funster No
MH
Chausson 728 EB
Good afternoon from a wild and windy Connemara
We are sailing from Rosslare to Bilbao on Wednesday
We will hug the Spanish coast for a few days but we want to spend a week in the Porto region
So looking for recommendations for Campsites in the region ,not really wanting doing the Wild camping
Thanks
P.J

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
We stayed in an orbitur campsite on the outskirts of Porto by the sea and there was a regular bus service right into the city. Think it might be Angeiras ( it was a few years ago)

We ended up using a few of their campsites in Portugal as they were often in a more natural setting of trees etc. One we stayed at we watched red squirrels racing around the trees for hours.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We’re in Porto now at the P+R at the end of the tram line at Fânzeres; very convenient for getting into Porto but, it isn’t a campsite so probably of little interest to you.🤷‍♂️

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
We’ve stopped on the site at Vila Cha to the north, pleasant seaside village if a rather odd side. Short taxi ride to a station with trains into Porto.
We also stayed at a different Orbitur, at Madalena, but I’m not sure it still exists - it was a bit run down at the time. There do seem to be a couple more sites in Madalena, which is an easy (if hair-raising) bus ride into Porto.

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
We’ve stopped on the site at Vila Cha to the north, pleasant seaside village if a rather odd side. Short taxi ride to a station with trains into Porto.
We also stayed at a different Orbitur, at Madalena, but I’m not sure it still exists - it was a bit run down at the time. There do seem to be a couple more sites in Madalena, which is an easy (if hair-raising) bus ride into Porto.
We always stop at Vila Cha if going into Porto.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Hi Brains, how did you find the place? We're considering staying there soon.
Thanks
Istas garden small campsite in Porto

We booked for 3 nights and stayed 7.
Lovely site, if rather small (only about 15 pitches)
It has a pool, laundry, BBQ, etc.

VERY friendly owners, in high season they offer lifts into town and bookings onto various trips,
they also offer their own port tasting trip (which we did not do)

You MUST book in advance, as they are 90% full all the time.
(It was also the most expensive site on the entire trip)

The beach is walking distance.
Good cycle routes on the beach north and south.
The centre of Porto is 45 min cycle, 10 mins in an Uber, or 20 mins by bus. We used all three methods during our stay.

Personally I found Porto the nicest city in Portugal.
With Lisbon being second
and Tolmar the most interesting.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Istas garden small campsite in Porto

We booked for 3 nights and stayed 7.
Lovely site, if rather small (only about 15 pitches)
It has a pool, laundry, BBQ, etc.

VERY friendly owners, in high season they offer lifts into town and bookings onto various trips,
they also offer their own port tasting trip (which we did not do)

You MUST book in advance, as they are 90% full all the time.
(It was also the most expensive site on the entire trip)

The beach is walking distance.
Good cycle routes on the beach north and south.
The centre of Porto is 45 min cycle, 10 mins in an Uber, or 20 mins by bus. We used all three methods during our stay.

Personally I found Porto the nicest city in Portugal.
With Lisbon being second
and Tolmar the most interesting.
Unfortunately, more than one month in advanced and they're already full :oops: as you anticipated.
Thank you very much Brains for your detailed answer(y)
We will look for another option.
Cheers.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
We always stop at Vila Cha if going into Porto.

We were thinking of Vila Cha for our trip next year, do you know if the Metro station next to the big shopping centre is walk-able from the site, it appears it is on Google maps, but you can never tell sometimes

<M>

Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
We will be in Porto at the start of October and decided to book for a couple of nights. We hate booking ahead but it seemed it might be sensible in this case. We considered Ista's Garden, it looks very good but you had to book 3 or 4 nights and I think it was €50 per night. I can't bring myself to pay that especially when you still need a bus or taxi to get into Porto.

We have gone for Orbitur Canidelo, the reviews aren't too bad but who knows what it will be like. Could be dreadful! I think it is about €30 per night without electric which still caused palpitations off the wallet.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=29233
https://park4night.com/en/place/20020

RetiredPope

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 9, 2015
Taunton
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 640
Exp
4yrs so still a newbie
We were thinking of Vila Cha for our trip next year, do you know if the Metro station next to the big shopping centre is walk-able from the site, it appears it is on Google maps, but you can never tell sometimes

<M>
It's a couple of miles, so is walkable. We didn't fancy it after a day walking round Porto, but then we're still not as fit as we'd like :LOL::LOL:

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
We will be in Porto at the start of October and decided to book for a couple of nights. We hate booking ahead but it seemed it might be sensible in this case. We considered Ista's Garden, it looks very good but you had to book 3 or 4 nights and I think it was €50 per night. I can't bring myself to pay that especially when you still need a bus or taxi to get into Porto.

We have gone for Orbitur Canidelo, the reviews aren't too bad but who knows what it will be like. Could be dreadful! I think it is about €30 per night without electric which still caused palpitations off the wallet.

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=29233
https://park4night.com/en/place/20020
We were considering to go that site also, we are planning arriving Porto around 3rd week in October.
Not the best option probably, but looks like it'll do the job.

Oct 25, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
14 years

<M>
We stayed there earlier this year to visit Porto. Taxis waiting outside the site to run you to the metro station and waiting til the last train back. All very easy, nice friendly site near the coast. Nice big Continente nearby too. Would recommend. Porto was amazing.

Oct 29, 2019
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
VW LWB Crafter
Exp
Since 2009
It's a couple of miles, so is walkable. We didn't fancy it after a day walking round Porto, but then we're still not as fit as we'd like :LOL::LOL:
We stayed there earlier this year to visit Porto. Taxis waiting outside the site to run you to the metro station and waiting til the last train back. All very easy, nice friendly site near the coast. Nice big Continente nearby too. Would recommend. Porto was amazing.
Thank you both!
We are hoping to go next April, was supposed to be last April but the ferry was cancelled the day before due to bad weather in the Bay of Biscay... So we ended up in Switzerland instead, it turned out to be the best trip we've ever had!

Really looking forward to finally exploring Spain and Portugal though:giggle:

<M>

Lee16

Funster
Sep 14, 2016
Reading
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo
Exp
Since 2015
We are on the Park and Ride Site at Fanzeres, in Porto. It is the end of the Tram Line. Parking here for around 30 MoHo. Next door to Tram into Porto about 35 mins.
Also Mercadona Supermarket next door.
No other facilities but there is another site just up the road to get water and empty toilet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back