Camping in Pompeii (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria compact sl
Looking to fulfil our last bucket in Sept and visit Pompeii etc. The two sites in the ACSI book Zeus and Fortuna are convenient but get mixed reviews, especially on facilities. Has anyone been lately that can recommend either or other sites. Otherwise I can treat them like an aire and use my own šŸ˜. Be a bit like France in the eighties!

Aug 25, 2022
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer car
Exp
25 years
In October we stayed at camping hercules in Pompei , good welcome ,like all around there a bit tight but facilities OK and a bottle of his own limoncello which is very tasty .
You can see vesuvius from the sight.
Chasnam

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Another satisfied customer at Hercules in Pompeii, and itā€™s close to the Pompeii site main entrance. First Sunday of each month itā€™s free entry to Pompeii, you get a ticket at the entrance, but no pay. That money goes towards the camping cost. We paid about ā‚¬22 euro for 7m van and two adults in may 2023. Washers on site ā‚¬5 and a restaurant pretty good. Also lots of choices to eat on the main road, and the usual market with souvenirs.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Why you are in the area don't miss Herculaneum it's much better than Pompeii.
Plus One (Hundred) for this. Pompeii is great, huge , allow a full day huge. But Herculaneum is much more ā€œrealā€. Theres houses you walk through, you walk down the streets, see the paintings. Up close. So good, without distracting from Pompeii. You can get the train from Pompeii to Herculaneum (and back) itā€™s a short walk down hill from the Herculaneum station. Just ignore the taxi drivers who will try to charge you 30 euro and lead you on a wild goose chase to justify the ā€œ30 minutesā€ walk šŸ˜‰. Itā€™s 10 mins down hill. But 30 mins back up. BTDT GTTS. šŸ˜‰

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
The trains runs around the bay and is an excellent way to get around to see the various sites and may open up consideration of campsites further out. We were an a fly holiday so didn't look at the campsites
Agree Herculaneum is much more manageable than Pompeii which is huge and on a hot day is quite an ordeal unless you're super fit youngsters lol.

OP
OP
B
Jul 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria compact sl
In October we stayed at camping hercules in Pompei , good welcome ,like all around there a bit tight but facilities OK and a bottle of his own limoncello which is very tasty .
You can see vesuvius from the sight.
Chasnam
Thanks for the input but I canā€™t locate camping hercules in Pompeii anywhere, no mention of it at all. Can you give me more info.

May 21, 2019
South Coast
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the input but I canā€™t locate camping hercules in Pompeii anywhere, no mention of it at all. Can you give me more info.
Maybe getting mixed up with Agricamper La Giuliana, which is also a bit tight and serve home made limoncello (unless they all do that) , it's about 25 mins walk to the park, and from memory max 3 amp ehu . The many good reviews were justified IMO, but facilities not so great and probably typical of all sites in that area . https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=30372

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Iā€™m very sorry for my part, it was not Hercules we stayed at, got confused myself. This is the site we stayed at, Spartacus
2E06A262-1C0D-4C13-BDAB-0309C4C9BB5E.png

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
We stayed at Fortuna Village in 2022 (chose it because of the ā‚¬22 ACSI rate)....I'd be happy enough staying there again if its cheap, but the facilities aren't great. The toilets were fine in terms of cleanliness, but I didn't use their showers....hubby said they were tiny and nowhere dry to put your things. It was walking distance to Pompeii, and bus stops and train station for exploration further afield. We weren't impressed by the area though.....its mainly a busy road full of tourist busses, though we may at some point go back because we didn't have time to visit Herculaneum and couldn't get tickets for Vesuvius.

The entrance to the campsite appears to be just inside the traffic zone...we mentioned it at the reception as we'd read that accommodation providers can register visitors so they don't get fined, but were told that we'll be fine as we have a foreign plate (he was right...we've not heard anything since).
The site is tiny and the roads are pretty tight for manoeuvring (though that's normal for Italian campsites), but they're a reasonable size - we were a bit over 8m including the bike rack and weren't even close to the pitch limits.

Fortuna.jpg

Our pitch was right down at the bottom next to the railway line...but it wasn't an issue at all, I'm sure we must have heard some trains but I can't remember them so they can't have been too bad (I'm quite fussy with noise).
On leaving watch out for grounding as you pull out onto the road (especially if you have a long overhang): there's quite a hump from the driveway followed by a dip down to the road....you can see it on Streetview (in reality its worse than it looks in the picture), but there's plenty of space to take it on the diagonal if needed.

Jan 2, 2017
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2010
Is it not Camping Zeus, right next to Pompei, that you are looking for?

Mar 12, 2021
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
carthago e line 64xl
Exp
We stayed on a tour in April at Zeus was on the rally field the new facilities was good in a fantastic location.Vanellis restaurant was first class in Pompeii .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
Whilst the Vesuviana train is not glamorous it is extremely functional. It means you could camp near any of its stations and use the train to travel between Pompeii/Herculaneum/Sorrento/Naples.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back