LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I put this in France touring but they do have a few sites in Netherlands and Spain and no doubt they will spread further, basically they have taken over a lot of the old municipal sites so many have electric included and some have a toilet block so then they allow vans without own facilities and tents as well.

We are on our first one tonight and it was so easy, I registered for a card before we came away and loaded a few €, I though the card would come in the post but no instead I just got a code to retrieve the card at the gate on first visit, a couple of minutes looking the screen and then I pressed the right button and out came my card (y) waved it at the barrier card reader and we are in:giggle: the cost varies but this is €15.20 per night but for €6 you can have 6 hours and use the service area and I guess electric as well.

Apart from all of the above what we really liked was that you just roll up, flash your card at the barrier and in you go, this one we are on is at Saumur and is actually just outside the gates of the campsite which had a queue of caravans waiting to check in (I hate the check in process) you can check the available spaces on the app although I am told it isn't 100% reliable but you can also book ahead.

And you are allowed to put your table and chairs out so it's really more like a campsite, but easier.

IMG_3127.jpeg

https://www.campingcarpark.com/en_GB/

After all this you will most likely all come back and say "we have been using them for years" it's just a while since have been in France so are a bit rusty.

Feb 24, 2018
Funster No
So glad you have posted this funflair we also have order a card but like you have been given a code .
We cross over on Friday and I was wondering how easy it would be to retrieve the card thanx for posting this (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: f6c
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Don't usually use them that often but this trip the regular aites have been so busy it was occasionally easier to book somewhere. We ended up staying 6 nights at different locations so may even get a few winter free nights from their current offer.

They also have a van-night app which is similar but tends to cover non self contained campers so often has more facilities

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Don't usually use them that often but this trip the regular aites have been so busy it was occasionally easier to book somewhere. We ended up staying 6 nights at different locations so may even get a few winter free nights from their current offer.

They also have a van-night app which is similar but tends to cover non self contained campers so often has more facilities

You get the card via the main screen but it's a grey line down near the bottom that is scrolling through in different languages, once you see it it's a doddle.

Oct 1, 2017
Funster No
Our first attempt this trip failed miserably, just kept saying call this number and line was dead, heading to one near ouistrom port after vets tomorrow, fingers crossed we have better look

• HeartHug
Reactions: f6c

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
We found a card from a previous trip years ago, still works ! We put cash on it at the big machine by the War museum aire at Cean - then refused entry as aire was full….. sigh. Got into an aire in Nantes with it and out no problem , used it to get into an aire at Normutier then realised no machine on island took Money and we had none on the card ! 😱😱 phoned them after trying to log into site but it didn’t recognise our email , and they were so helpful , put our new email on the account we have had ( apparently !) for years and we have not had to pay the annual fee or a rejoining fee . Result !

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
I think we used them in their very early days don’t think they had many more than 20 sites back in 2016 when we did the Canal du Midi, they certainly have come on since then 👍
Think that’s when we got this card 😄😄😄! We have been going back over diaries to see when it was , couldn’t believe it might have been that long ago

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
So glad you have posted this funflair we also have order a card but like you have been given a code .
We cross over on Friday and I was wondering how easy it would be to retrieve the card thanx for posting this (y)

Just a little info for you;

If you get to the site and the instructions have you flummoxed, give the telephone No. a go.
At the other end, they couldn't be more helpful.

Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
We’ve used a few of them the past couple of years. The barrier system tends to keep out the rif-raf 😂.
Dead easy to use, just load the card via the app on the phone, swipe the card on the way in and out, works a treat (usually). Handy in the summer as 6amp electric is enough to run the air con.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We used them for the first time this summer. I prebooked our first as it was showing as very busy. The card popped out on entering out number. Then we pre booked Mont Saint Michel as that was often full. The others, we just checked the website for availability and rocked up. I messed up and double booked on an incorrect date. I emailed, replied and refunded within a week. I could have telephoned as they have English speaking staff. Some were a little better than others but all very clean and safe.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I put this in France touring but they do have a few sites in Netherlands and Spain and no doubt they will spread further, basically they have taken over a lot of the old municipal sites so many have electric included and some have a toilet block so then they allow vans without own facilities and tents as well.

We are on our first one tonight and it was so easy, I registered for a card before we came away and loaded a few €, I though the card would come in the post but no instead I just got a code to retrieve the card at the gate on first visit, a couple of minutes looking the screen and then I pressed the right button and out came my card (y) waved it at the barrier card reader and we are in:giggle: the cost varies but this is €15.20 per night but for €6 you can have 6 hours and use the service area and I guess electric as well.

Apart from all of the above what we really liked was that you just roll up, flash your card at the barrier and in you go, this one we are on is at Saumur and is actually just outside the gates of the campsite which had a queue of caravans waiting to check in (I hate the check in process) you can check the available spaces on the app although I am told it isn't 100% reliable but you can also book ahead.

And you are allowed to put your table and chairs out so it's really more like a campsite, but easier.

View attachment 947347
https://www.campingcarpark.com/en_GB/

After all this you will most likely all come back and say "we have been using them for years" it's just a while since have been in France so are a bit rusty.
We were there two days ago but couldn't get on so went round to the other one on the other side of the river, just stayed the one night then moved on.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
We've been using them for a long time. I'm writing this, lying in bed with my morning coffee, at the CCP in la Roche de Glun. It's an ex municipal campsite, without the showers and toilets but with proper pitches where you can sit out.

We never book, nor do we load the card - just turn up, wave the card, then top up the card by the appropriate amount (in this case about 14 Euros) before leaving. You don't need any money on the card to get in - just to get out.

We'll probably head for the CCP aire at Privas today.

In general, we like CCPs, but it definitely pays to be selective as they vary very much. Some are just barren car parks, while others are grassy and spacious. The reviews on their app seem to be quite accurate and they don't appear to delete the poor ones.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Yep, we only find the grotty ones so try to avoid them.
You just need to read the reviews, Lenny :giggle::giggle:.

We looked at la Voulte sur Rhône, just down the river from where we are now, but a lot of the reviews mention it being next to a busy road with traffic noise, so we've avoided it.

We're hoping to head for Provence but don't fancy getting caught in the Mistral, so we're taking it easy at the moment.

Finding decent weather in France this year is a bit of an art. 🌦🌩.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Yes it
I think we used them in their very early days don’t think they had many more than 20 sites back in 2016 when we did the Canal du Midi, they certainly have come on since then 👍
It must be that long ago since we first had the card but as you say it still works even after such a long absence.
We've only used a couple recently as we prefer the more remote rural spots that are frequently free.
We've been across in France now for a week an spent the grand total of €5 on Aires up to now and that was a voluntary donation!

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
The prices have been steadily rising and I reckon will continue to do so as free aires become obsolete.
But you get services 365 days of the year (practically) guaranteed wheras the free ones likely don't and travelling in winter that's a bonus as well as saving gas if you hook up.

We use them where they are somewhere we want to be and it's convenient. Seen some like car parks but a lot more other aires like one especially in mountains but I guess when it's full of snow it doesn't matter, others like everyone says laid out pitches with room to sit out and a bit of grass. We have been disappointed by some not having grass cut but I believe they have taken this on board but also I think this would be a local contract so reliant on pierre and his lawnmower.

Like all Aires or sites you have a choice, mostly we only stay 1 night (did have 3 on Normoutier which was excellent) so it's somewhere to sleep whilst visiting or passing through.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back