Campervan Insurance - Not the norm. (14 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Dearest Funsters
Looking for some advice re insurance on a VW campervan. With pop top roof and professional conversion ( not Fred in his Shed).
Spoke to a few insurers and as I will be using the van for Social, Domestic and pleasure PLUS commuting to a single place of work 3 times a week, they have informed me that a normal (?) Car type insurance is not an option and I need a dedicated Motorhome policy, based mainly on the fact that my estimated annual mileage will be around 10 k a year, mixed with social use and camping.
In no way do I want to mislead the insurers, and want to be crystal in what my intended use will be.
Anyone got any recommendations or directions to try.
Have looked on some dedicated VW forums and some just seem to not disclose to insurers all that they perhaps should.
And I have not had insurance refused, but declined as some I tried don't cover the additional commuting element.
Thanks

Sep 4, 2017
North West, UK
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1 Transporter
Exp
Never stop learning 😊
Caravan Guard.

Have insured many vehicles with them, premiums reasonable and very easy to deal with (but thankfully have never had a claim so I don't know how good they are when you really need them).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Comfort insured my mates van for commuting.
Another one to try is NFU
Thanks. Will do. (y)
Caravan Guard.

Have insured many vehicles with them, premiums reasonable and very easy to deal with (but thankfully have never had a claim so I don't know how good they are when you really need them).
Won't touch me on the commuting bit I'm afraid.
Premium without that was reasonable though.
Thanks for the thought.👍

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Comfort have come back at a tad under £750.00 with Myself and Mrs YP named, huge excesses (£300 damage, £150 glass) and personal accident and contents cover, plus keys, is EXTRA!
Got 5 years NCD to claim but seems to count for nothing.
What's going on this year???

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Dearest Funsters
Looking for some advice re insurance on a VW campervan. With pop top roof and professional conversion ( not Fred in his Shed).
Spoke to a few insurers and as I will be using the van for Social, Domestic and pleasure PLUS commuting to a single place of work 3 times a week, they have informed me that a normal (?) Car type insurance is not an option and I need a dedicated Motorhome policy, based mainly on the fact that my estimated annual mileage will be around 10 k a year, mixed with social use and camping.
In no way do I want to mislead the insurers, and want to be crystal in what my intended use will be.
Anyone got any recommendations or directions to try.
Have looked on some dedicated VW forums and some just seem to not disclose to insurers all that they perhaps should.
And I have not had insurance refused, but declined as some I tried don't cover the additional commuting element.
Thanks
10000 is the.magic milage where the price goes up LV will cover you but it will cost you .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Comfort have come back at a tad under £750.00 with Myself and Mrs YP named, huge excesses (£300 damage, £150 glass) and personal accident and contents cover, plus keys, is EXTRA!
Got 5 years NCD to claim but seems to count for nothing.
What's going on this year???
Comfort policy is a net policy NCB is ilrelavant.

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
You could try Adrian flux. They insured me when Aviva refused to renew because I had added a solar panel.
Funny you should say them.
We were insured with AF for 6 years on our Motorhome.
Thought I would give them the opportunity to quote for potential new ( to us ) campervan.
Coming out tops at the moment.
£517 fully comp 2 named drivers.
Includes legal cover, personal accident and possesions, key care , commuting, £125 windscreen excess, £100 accidental damage excess volutary and £200 accidental damage compulsory.
KMG underwriting via Zurich insurance.
Think we might have a winner (y)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Funny you should say them.
We were insured with AF for 6 years on our Motorhome.
Thought I would give them the opportunity to quote for potential new ( to us ) campervan.
Coming out tops at the moment.
£517 fully comp 2 named drivers.
Includes legal cover, personal accident and possesions, key care , commuting, £125 windscreen excess, £100 accidental damage excess volutary and £200 accidental damage compulsory.
KMG underwriting via Zurich insurance.
Think we might have a winner (y)
How much in possessions please I have £2000 on my van presently

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Yep, that's what I advised them,but doubt we will be anywhere near that, but with awnings, phones, melaware pots and pans etc, you never know.
Replacement costs can get seriously out of hand at present.
You'd be surprised 2 pairs half decent walking boots can be £300 my estimate is for a solo traveller have a good think did they cover you at that for contents/personal ?

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
You'd be surprised 2 pairs half decent walking boots can be £300 my estimate is for a solo traveller have a good think did they cover you at that for contents/personal ?
In no way can I, or would I , buy a pair of walking boots costing £300.
Probably the most expensive, costly and high maintainance item I am likely to take on my outings, is Mrs Yoghurtpot!
Personal is covered away from home on the house insurance and certain items are itemised separately, but when we are away generally we travel light, cheap and cheerful.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
In no way can I, or would I , buy a pair of walking boots costing £300.
Probably the most expensive, costly and high maintainance item I am likely to take on my outings, is Mrs Yoghurtpot!
Personal is covered away from home on the house insurance and certain items are itemised separately, but when we are away generally we travel light, cheap and cheerful.
Some are but I have made sure all the extras are covered £300 is 2 pairs :wink:
I'm not sure if travel insurance would cover some things must check ot out before August
It's surprising how fast anything not screwed down soon adds up. Even ehu cables oh and don't forget the rolex x 2 and diamond tiara

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Some are but I have made sure all the extras are covered £300 is 2 pairs :wink:
I'm not sure if travel insurance would cover some things must check ot out before August
It's surprising how fast anything not screwed down soon adds up. Even ehu cables oh and don't forget the rolex x 2 and diamond tiara
We have travel insurance for UK and worldwide use, for health issues etc and it includes some personal items, and household insurance which includes items specified as away from home, like my fishing gear.
Then we have the actual van insurance, which often has additional personal cover, legal cover etc etc.
Belt, Braces and a piece of string.
But we still ain't got anything of serious value, other than the actual vehicle.

May 10, 2024
Funster No
MH
searching for one to
My quote from Comfort is £332 and covers social, domestic and commute. Didnt even tell them I wanted to use it for commuting. that was 1500 to 4000 miles per annum.
EDIT: That was for a 2019 burster 2 berth valued at £63K

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I’ve just renewed my policy this year and found it an expensive outcome, even though my anticipated mileage is below 10k. I’m using my camper as my everyday vehicle now (sold the car) and that has created a huge hike in the premium (no longer can I declare I have access to another vehicle). NFU came out best but I’m still forking out around £600 on a vehicle with a declared value below £40k.🥴

Aug 26, 2022
North Cumbria.
Funster No
MH
Hobby Vantana
Exp
Since 2013
We used Just Kampers for the 9 years that we had our trusty T4 pop top. Always a competitive quote and we also added their breakdown cover. The insurance is provided for JK by Herts insurance services.......

OP
OP
Captain Yoghurtpot
Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
Thanks for all the replies and ideas folks.
Certainly some serious variation between insurers and cover types.
Will keep looking as not necessarily after the cheapest, but what will be best for our usage and does actually cover us properly. (y)(y)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Always worth trying AIB and we now have a new insurance sponcer whose name eludes me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back