Campervan for family with 2 young teens? (1 Viewer)

Lynn Downing

Free Member
Jan 13, 2019
Funster No
Hi all
We are looking to purchase our first campervan or motor home. We've had a 4 berth caravan in the past but we didn't enjoy towing it so would love to get a van instead. The problem is our daughters are now tall 13 and 10 year olds so we need a decent size 4 berth van....but we'd like it as small as is possible to sleep and house us all comfortably!? Any recommendations? Budget would be 20k at the most really!
Many Thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi Lynn, welcome to the fun house!

First things first, what driving licences do you? Are they pre 1997 or later? This will determine whether you have 'grandfather/grandmother' rights to drive vehicles over 3500kg. If you aren't restricted to 3500kg then you'll have a lot more choice as, IMV, a MH up to 3500kg won't give you enough payload for 2 adults and older kids.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
To be honest, a small motorhome and 4 adult sized people is unlikely to work unless you put an awning up every stop (which can become a pain). Plus 4 people and 4 lots of kit usually means a 3500kg van is going to be overweight. And don't forget you will need 4 seatbelts for travelling.

We had a chausson flash 03 when our kids were young and it worked for 2 adults and 2 children, but only just! Then we bought a Frankia A800GD, this was fine for 4 adults but was a BIG van. We have now downsized to a Globecar Campscout Revolution, which will sleep and travel 4, but we only take the kids occasionally now so put up with a compromise on space.

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Would of thought something with a french bed at rear front dinnette would probably work make bed up at night kids sleep on french bed although as others said at 3.5T you have to watch weight always an option to reduce amount of water you carry 1/2 a tank rather than full at 100 kg +

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Unfortunately I agree with Mel @Minxy Girl that if neither of you have a C1 licence you are going to find it very difficult to find a 3500kg MGW (maximum gross weight) motorhome that will have both the space and payload you need in order to take four of you and your possessions comfortably. Modern vans are getting lighter (some would say flimsier!), but for your budget you will probably not be able afford one.

When looking please do not believe what a salesman (or previous owner) tells you about payload. Always insist on taking a possible purchase to a weighbridge empty before buying.

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
You can increase your weight with existing license by towing a trailer under 750kg in weight but this is what you wanted to get away from. Perhaps have a look at doing your 7.5 ton license.

Upvote 0

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Obvious issue highlighted already, driving licence probably restricting you to 3500kg.
Currently we have a 4500Kg six berth we used for grandchildren, who are not so small now, a bit like your children. For licence turned 70 years reasons we are downsizing to 3500Kg and changing to a three berth we will use as mainly a two and very occasionally as three berth, as our youngest GC is 8 years.
Due to our personal use requirements we have had issues with payload keeping to 3500kg for just two of us, we are not small, and the 75 Kg per person allowed in weight calculations is well exceeded. If you are on the smaller side weight wise you will be better placed.
One thing you do need to check is bed length for the young adults you have. Our six berth had the two adult rear lounge berths, for us, two over cab berths, ok lengthwise but challenging width wise once the older one was 15, and a dinette two berth would be only just big enough length wise for our 8 year old for another year or so.
Your hobbies and what you carry may also limit your payload, bearing in mind the fulcrum effect of heavy weights behind the rear axle.
Finally, you are looking at a second hand van, watch dealers promising the original years ago out of factory payload. Owners since may well have added a variety of none standard items to that which will come off the original factory payload (solar panel, second battery, second gas bottle, external awning etc..).
There will be something out there will suit you, best advice from me is pay the subs and get access to one of the best, if not the best, database of information on motorhoming anywhere. Dealers reviews, buying a motorhome and security online books should be invaluable to you.
Good luck with your search.

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
https://www.johnscross.co.uk/products/swift-sundance-590rs-7.html

5 berth

2010 Swift Sundance 590 RS Has,

2.3L 130 BHP Turbo Diesel Engine,

3500KG Chassis,

25,884 Miles,

5 Berth,

4 Seatbelts,

6 Speed Manual Gearbox,

ABS,

EBD (Electronic Brake Force Distribution),

Electric Windows,

Electrically Operated Mirrors,

CD/Radio With USB Connectivity,

Remote Central Locking To All Doors,

Reverse Camera,

Pleated Concertina Blinds To All Cab Windows,

Over Cab Bed,

Truma Dual Fuel Heating With Blown Air Facility,

Truma Dual Fuel Hot Water Heater,

12V LED Lighting,

Rear Speakers,

Smoke Alarm,

Carbon Monoxide Alarm,

Status Digital TV Aerial,

Avtex TV,

Washroom With Integrated Shower,

Thetford Cassette Toilet With Electric Flush,

Blinds And Flyscreens To All Habitation Windows,

Gas Oven With Separate Grill,

Three Burner Gas Hob With One Electric Hot Plate,

Built In Microwave,

Three Way Fridge With Freezer Compartment And Automatic Energy Selection,

Removable Carpets,

Electric Entrance Step,

Fresh Water Tank,

Waste Water Tank,

Tow Bar,

Bike Rack,

Wind Out Canopy Awning,

Awning Light,

Exterior 230V Hook Up,

Gas Locker With Space For 2 X 6KG Propane Bottles.
Peter

Upvote 0
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968

5 berth

3500KG Chassis,

25,884 Miles,

5 Berth,

4 Seatbelts,

6 Speed Manual Gearbox,

ABS,

Electric Windows,

Reverse Camera,

Over Cab Bed,

12V LED Lighting,

Rear Speakers,

Smoke Alarm,

Carbon Monoxide Alarm,

Avtex TV,

Built In Microwave,

Removable Carpets,

Electric Entrance Step,

Fresh Water Tank,

Waste Water Tank,

Tow Bar,

Bike Rack,

Wind Out Canopy Awning,

Awning Light,

Exterior 230V Hook Up,

Peter
Going by op you are about 150% of budget , otherwise ticks all the boxes :)

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that

5 berth

3500KG Chassis,

25,884 Miles,

5 Berth,

4 Seatbelts,

6 Speed Manual Gearbox,

ABS,

Electric Windows,

Reverse Camera,

Over Cab Bed,

12V LED Lighting,

Rear Speakers,

Smoke Alarm,

Carbon Monoxide Alarm,

Avtex TV,

Built In Microwave,

Removable Carpets,

Electric Entrance Step,

Fresh Water Tank,

Waste Water Tank,

Tow Bar,

Bike Rack,

Wind Out Canopy Awning,

Awning Light,

Exterior 230V Hook Up,

Peter
and a payload off ????

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
and a payload off ????
Exactly my though too ... I'm surprised at JCM not putting this on as it is such an important part of any MH purchase.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There are lots of the 'traditional' type layout like the Swift Sundance 590RS as that was what most manufacturers use to make and to be is a good layout, so there won't be a shortage of them, but what the payload will be is the thing to look out for as they can vary widely depending on what's included in the figure as usually awnings etc will not be and they can weigh 30kg or more on their own.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Having to agree with many above.
Payload (to keep legal) and space will be very important.
We have travelled with 2 grandkids since they were born, now 13 and 11 and getting bigger and heavier every year..
You need some space with 4 people moving about, when you go looking at vans imagine all 4 of you sat in there on a wet rainy day.. There are some 3500kg vans claiming to be "family" vans but in my view the build quality is just as lightweight, beware of the specs as they often dont include any water so that can add a lot if you wanted to go somewhere "off grid". 4 people means 4 x times the personal effects to carry..

Dont be put off but get all the facts and choose wisely. Lots of vans out there will suit BUT I think the license issue is the main problem.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you can get the licence sorted think about a van with bunk beds as that would give the teens some privacy :)

Upvote 0

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
There are lots of the 'traditional' type layout like the Swift Sundance 590RS as that was what most manufacturers use to make and to be is a good layout, so there won't be a shortage of them, but what the payload will be is the thing to look out for as they can vary widely depending on what's included in the figure as usually awnings etc will not be and they can weigh 30kg or more on their own.

485kg max payload @ 3500kg according to this :

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30066-swift-sundance-590

Probably insufficient for the o.p.'s needs i.m.o.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The problem is our daughters are now tall 13 and 10 year olds so we need a decent size 4 berth van.
Many Thanks

It's going to be a really hard find. Not only space but payload. They might not be heavy to you but to a motorhome they are a significant weight. Privacy might be a problem too.

One layout that might just save you is the bunk beds one. I can't recall the make ( C I ? ) but I have seen them.

Otherwise you need a huge tag axle MH with separate rear bedroom. C1 licence time.

Good hunting.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Apologies............... should have polished my glasses !:Eeek:

Peter
... and there was me thinking you were gonna do them a STONKING deal on it to bring it in budget!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
One layout that might just save you is the bunk beds one. I can't recall the make ( C I ? ) but I have seen them.
I think Adria, CI, Corado, Chausson, Euro Mobil, Hymer etc all did bunk-bed coachbuilts in the past, probably others too.

Just had a quick shuftie and found this on on Gumtree which is a good layout but the payload is abysmal at 355kg which I think will be the issue with all bunk bed ones as they need to be longer to accommodate them:

https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervan...-bed-bunk-beds-end-washroom-garage/1315540540

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/reviews/motorhome/30240-adria-coral-670sk

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
payload is abysmal at 355kg which I think will be the issue with all bunk bed ones

People just don't see the big picture do they. So there they were, "let's make babies". Did they for one moment think "STOP, look at the big picture, will we be able to drive a motorhome big enough for these babies ?". No. Just bonk away and pay the consequences.

Can't you put daughters into kennels ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Lynn Downing

Free Member
Jan 13, 2019
Funster No
Thank you all so much for your replies and suggestions, I'll have a look into those models you've recommended.

Think we also need to look into the C1 licence too, this might have to be our 1st point of call then our options will be much wider and more comfortable for all!

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
There are quite a few threads on here about gaining your C1 licence and others have recently done theirs so they could give you some tips and probably save you a lot of money as the cost of the lessons/test seem to vary enormously.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back