Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 28, 2024
Maspalomas, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline Toscan 74
Exp
Please excuse my ignorance here, but as most of you now know, I'm a newbie 😀

On collecting the moho, they gave me an EHU cable which has the socket to plug into the van on one end and a normal household 2 pin plug which will plug into any normal domestic outlet at home or in the garage. However, I imagine the campsites will not be of the domestic type neither here in Spain nor France, UK etc. So my question is, what adapters will I need when travelling in Europe?

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Barrie, you just need one of those:
1000012095.jpg

And if you go to Switzerland, you'll need this one:
1000012097.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
The above was the first link I found, they come in various prices and quality, so check the spec!

This is the one we have, bought March 2024, tried and tested 👍
www.amazon.co.uk/Double-Dragon-Europe-Caravan-Converter/dp/B0BNW3DQH4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=TLQXIJWYJHJ6&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.nosD2HFvU1djuidFTB_1qc7ukrwc353oD5Ulub6NDPFwwfjjZPZFgJ-jb4epwC9t.lB5iflrjpzDdyA1IAmHfGbaBUIoUzMoQJ4FP_7ZE-0c&dib_tag=se&keywords=double+dragon+230v+europe+mains+caravan&qid=1722094685&sprefix=Double+dragon+230v%2Caps%2C113&sr=8-3

I initially looked on Amazon and added a filter for the highest number of best reviews before I bought it.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
When we bought our motor home it came with the standard EHU lead in orange, 25 metres long.

Since then, I have upgraded to two leads, one 15m and one 10m as you don’t always need such a long lead. (They join together to make 25m when required).

They are also slightly thicker than the original with the insulation being more like rubber than upvc, so consequently, more durable, harder wearing and more flexible especially in cold weather.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
If it is of any interest the leads I bought were from:
Tough Leads: https://toughleads.co.uk/
16amp, 230volts, 2.5mm2

Been using them for 2 years and absolutely no complaints. (They come in black so we carried our original orange lead for a while as stipulated by some of the clubs, but nobody ever mentioned it).

According to their website ‘flexibility and performance is maintained from -25 up to +55 degrees’!

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
Most campsites will have hookup posts with the round blue sockets. So most people have a long cable, usually 25 metres, with a round blue connector at each end. Like the one in Peavy's post.

However some campsites have hookups with the local domestic sockets. They are slightly different in France and Spain. You can get an adapter with a round blue socket and a 'compatible' plug that works in Spanish and French sockets.
ContinentalAdapter.jpg
All appliances sold in the shops have a 'compatible' plug. However things like extension leads and multiway adapters often have the country-specific type not the compatible type. So if you are buying an adapter or a plug, you need to know the difference. The French socket has a reversed earth pin, the Spanish socket has two sliding metal contacts top and bottom
SocketFr.jpgSocketGerman.jpg
The French plug has a hole for the reversed earth pin. The Spanish plug has two metal contacts top and bottom. The compatible plug has a hole for the reversed earth pin, and also two sliding contacts top and bottom:
PlugFr.jpgPlugGerman.jpgPlug-type-EF.jpg
Check that the adapter has a compatible plug.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back