Cable Ties and Cutters (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have all probably used them, versatile and useful and not just for cable tying, but how many have a cable-tie tensioner and cutter ?

This useful tool tensions the cable tie and cuts the tail off neatly, leaving no sharp edge to potentially cut your hand..

There are many on the market, and at different price points, but for DIY use, you don't need to spend a fortune.. and once bought you will wonder why you never had one before..

This is a good example of a relatively cheap model ideal for DIY use

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
99.999% of cable ties seem to need fitting blind in a gap thinner than a fag packet so not sure how often the gadget would fit :unsure:
It's not a gadget .. it's the correct tool for the job.. and you may be surprised how well it works even it tight spaces.

Having used them all my working life I wouldn't recommend a tool that was just a "gadget" .. and they come in other models for different types and sizes of cable ties .. the one I pointed to is a basic model for nylon ties.

This may give you a better understanding of the range, and how the different types work..

Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001
I sometimes leave a short tail available for any necessary future retightening (using small pliers).
Have always preferred the black ties to the white ones!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
It's not a gadget .. it's the correct tool for the job.. and you may be surprised how well it works even it tight spaces.

Having used them all my working life I wouldn't recommend a tool that was just a "gadget" .. and they come in other models for different types and sizes of cable ties .. the one I pointed to is a basic model for nylon ties.

This may give you a better understanding of the range, and how the different types work..

Still looks like a gadget to me :ROFLMAO:

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
Having suffered cuts from cable tie sharp ends these seem a good idea but they look a bit bulky for stashing away in the van. I am trying to reduce my tool collection now I am retired.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Having suffered cuts from cable tie sharp ends these seem a good idea but they look a bit bulky for stashing away in the van. I am trying to reduce my tool collection now I am retired.
not bulky,. about the size of a pair of side cutters.. but if you don't do much wiring or don't use cable ties often, probably not needed

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
I have used similar cable-tie pliers, work well and are safer. In tight areas leave the tail a little longer, 25mm or so, it will bend should you brush your hand against it rather than cutting you.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I've been in electronics most of my life and never found a need for one and I've used thousands & thousands of cable ties. Only ever seen the odd one used. Professionals tend not to use them they are a bit clumberson and get in the way in tight spaces and when working inside equipment & also take longer than doing the job by hand.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Only ever seen the odd one used. Professionals tend not to use them
when I worked as a “professional” they were compulsory on Amoco off-shore oil production platforms and in Shell oil refineries and most other places I worked, but maybe less useful in electronics when using small ties. We also had to use stainless steel cable ties at intervals to hold cables in place if there was a fire , won’t cut these with side cutters.

68c

Oct 22, 2019
Southampton
Funster No
MH
2001 Pilote 270
Exp
Since 2004
Common in the aircraft industry, we have to crawl into tight spaces when doing maintenance so leaving sharp tails a no no. It is also best to ensure the latch mechanism is positioned to reduce any chance of snagging. One solution is a pair of flush cutters that cut at the edge so leave no tail.

Nov 10, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Started in 2013
To help reduce cuts from the sharp end of a cable tie, just give the end a quick look at a lighter flame. Produces a smooth end and something to get hold of if re tightening is required.

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
They do the job but a good pair of flush cutters ensures no sharp tail or at a push a craft knife. Having come across sharp tails on cable runways I can confirm they are lethal.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I now try to use the type of cable tie that you can re-use, never had one let me down.
The can be useful for certain applications where there is a requirement to un-do easily and reuse, (provided you don't cut the tail off) . but not generally used in industry for cable wrapping .. they are also more expensive if used conventionally.

for example, I have them on my bicycle saddle bags to secure to the rack.. tying tags onto suitcase etc . and many more applications.

no hard and fast rules, whatever you find more convenient to use

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
They do the job but a good pair of flush cutters ensures no sharp tail or at a push a craft knife. Having come across sharp tails on cable runways I can confirm they are lethal.
I cut them short with a pair of side cutters then trim the corners to "round" them off a bit, no sharp edges left.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We have all probably used them, versatile and useful and not just for cable tying, but how many have a cable-tie tensioner and cutter ?

This useful tool tensions the cable tie and cuts the tail off neatly, leaving no sharp edge to potentially cut your hand..

There are many on the market, and at different price points, but for DIY use, you don't need to spend a fortune.. and once bought you will wonder why you never had one before..

This is a good example of a relatively cheap model ideal for DIY use

I have a pneumatic version (came with a bunch of s/h air tools I bought) 🤭

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I have a 2lb lump hammer... only hammer I need .. lovely but of kit

does all the hammering I want .. no point in buying a claw hammer, cross-peen hammer, or mallet when it does every job.. any rough edges on plastic pegs .. no problem , I use a gas torch to burn them off or use a file.. Pulling nails out.. no problem, use a crow bar..

tongue in cheek .. but illustrates why there are different tools for different jobs and while we can 'get by' and improvise, nothing beats the correct tool for the job..

using screwdrivers as chisels anyone.. ?

next up... automatic wire strippers.. :rofl:

Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
Tried getting our M&E contractors to use them on the last job i was on. Came up with all sorts of excuses why they couldnt.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
No problem with the tool but why oh why do people cut cable ties and leave the cut off piece on the floor. Same when they remove the whole cable tie. Cut it then just leave it on the floor. They don't degrade for years and can be chewed by animals. Perhaps I should go see a doctor.:rolleyes:

Take deep breaths Taran, deep breaths. :giggle: :giggle:

Jan 22, 2017
Bristol
Funster No
MH
DAF LF Conversion
Exp
Since 2013
I don't get any sharp edges...

920519_All_Languages.jpg

🤣

I've used the tools when you have loads to do and they are great. Normally just pull the tie end with the cutters on the latch to apply tension and then cut. Need decent cutters but works fine...

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Last year I fitted a few hundred metres of low voltage air con control cables onto cable tray. When I shut my eyes at night I could still see them 😂
I wish I had a pound for every time I threaded the bloody tie in backwards.

We had a tie wrap gun on site but my nephew was using it for the steel ties.

I took a photo of the last ones as a kind of trophy... FINISHED 🏆🤩

20230523_131612.jpg

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I sometimes leave a short tail available for any necessary future retightening (using small pliers).
Have always preferred the black ties to the white ones!
When you have scared your hands on as many 'electricians' badly fitted cable straps as I have you will appreciate those who cut them off flush with the buckle!

I personally prefer a pair of flush cutting snips like these, multi purpose tool meaning one less item to carry which is very relevant when handling upwards of a hundred cables at a time in a data rack.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
For gods sake don't tell anyone you've injured your hand... The H&S nazis will have you shot for not wearing cut resistant gloves. I usually have to, which actually is OK in winter 😏😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back