Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Following our first trip in our 2018 Rapido 8096, we’ve come back with a list of ‘improvements’.
One of which is that the usb socket in the dash doesn’t charge the iPad, we use for navigation, fast enough. Having removed the panel and found the connections to the cigar lighter and usb socket, the wires going into the usb socket don’t appear man enough to swap out for something else.

Has anyone swapped their socket for something faster charging?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Just done the exact thing, will try to find the link but it looks like an aliens face in blue LEDs ....it was recommended on here and I bought it on Amazon.
Comes with bigger cables !!!

I'm looking into getting one of these, too, but then read this;

"However, a word of caution: Devices that charge with higher wattage also require special cables that can transport particularly high currents; otherwise, there is a risk of cable fire."

There's a link within that sentence that goes here;

USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C Device Cable

USB-C Male to USB-C Male, 1 m (3 ft.), SuperSpeed+ USB, 10 Gbps, 100 W / 5 A, 4K@60Hz, Black
SKU: 355223
Highlights

• USB-C male to USB-C male
  • Connects a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C device to a Gen 2 Type-C port
  • Supports speeds of up to 10 Gbps

Am I correct in thinking that it's necessary to buy new cables to use with this socket and ensure that only those new cables are used, please? Thank you.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I'm not a techno, so hopefully others will offer the correct advice. Mine came with cables, which were a lot thicker, so I used those and NOT the original cables to the socket. I used thise connections to power the dash cam instead.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just done the exact thing, will try to find the link but it looks like an aliens face in blue LEDs ....it was recommended on here and I bought it on Amazon.
Comes with bigger cables !!!

You need a QC3 one for fast charging. These aluminium ones are good quality..

Thanks very much for the replies, I've bought a socket from one of the MH accessory shops here, it's more about knowing that the cable to the existing socket is man enough.

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm looking into getting one of these, too, but then read this;

"However, a word of caution: Devices that charge with higher wattage also require special cables that can transport particularly high currents; otherwise, there is a risk of cable fire."

There's a link within that sentence that goes here;

USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C Device Cable

USB-C Male to USB-C Male, 1 m (3 ft.), SuperSpeed+ USB, 10 Gbps, 100 W / 5 A, 4K@60Hz, Black
SKU: 355223
Highlights

• USB-C male to USB-C male
  • Connects a USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type-C device to a Gen 2 Type-C port
  • Supports speeds of up to 10 Gbps

Am I correct in thinking that it's necessary to buy new cables to use with this socket and ensure that only those new cables are used, please? Thank you.
This is pretty much what I'm thinking about. I understand that inside the socket are the cogs, wheels and little aliens that decide what power is delivered to the item plugged into the socket. However with my limited experience the tiny cable going to the existing socket concerns me.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Thanks very much for the replies, I've bought a socket from one of the MH accessory shops here, it's more about knowing that the cable to the existing socket is man enough.
I doubt it will be ... Make sure you fit a fuse relative to load and cable size

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm not a techno, so hopefully others will offer the correct advice. Mine came with cables, which were a lot thicker, so I used those and NOT the original cables to the socket. I used thise connections to power the dash cam instead.
The existing cables are pretty much I've got to work with sadly, as they disappear into the loom. The cables to the lighter socket are thicker and whilst I could replace that, I'd prefer to keep it and have a decent usb socket too.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The existing cables are pretty much I've got to work with sadly, as they disappear into the loom. The cables to the lighter socket are thicker and whilst I could replace that, I'd prefer to keep it and have a decent usb socket too.
You can use the supply to the other socket, wire in parallel 👍

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
I doubt it will be ... Make sure you fit a fuse relative to load and cable size

Should be, unless it's a really thin one will be fine 👍
To me, it looks pretty thin and as far as I can tell it currently (sorry) has at least a 10 amp fuse.

edit, sorry it's the smaller red and black wires I'm looking at.

IMG_6856.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
You can use the supply to the other socket, wire in parallel
Which was my thought, thank you for the suggestion. Sadly it bugs me that I don't know whether it's ok to use the existing wires. In truth I hate not knowing these things, or being able to find a correct and reliable answer.

What if I went to my grave not knowing how to swap out a USB socket on a MH? :oops::happy::oops:

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Which was my thought, thank you for the suggestion. Sadly it bugs me that I don't know whether it's ok to use the existing wires. In truth I hate not knowing these things, or being able to find a correct and reliable answer.

What if I went to my grave not knowing how to swap out a USB socket on a MH? :oops::happy::oops:
Even if the small wires are OK you'll still have less voltage drop with the thicker ones. I would strip the cloth insulation back a bit, skin 5mm of each cable without cutting it and solder on to it.. Then tape it up. I did exactly this for the heated grips on the motorcycle.

FB_IMG_1719824020068.jpg
FB_IMG_1719824029490.jpg

Jan 2, 2024
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer
Exp
Connect it in place of the existing usb try it if it blows the original fuse existing wire is too thin if fuse stays intact then all is good ...the fuse is there primarily to protect the wire as these sockets usually have very wide working voltage a small voltage drop won't be a problem

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Even if the small wires are OK you'll still have less voltage drop with the thicker ones. I would strip the cloth insulation back a bit, skin 5mm of each cable without cutting it and solder on to it.. Then tape it up. I did exactly this for the heated grips on the motorcycle.

View attachment 917555View attachment 917556

Connect it in place of the existing usb try it if it blows the original fuse existing wire is too thin if fuse stays intact then all is good ...the fuse is there primarily to protect the wire as these sockets usually have very wide working voltage a small voltage drop won't be a problem
Thanks both, I'll try using the existing wires and if it blows the fuse then I'll spur off the lighter socket.

Thanks again

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
How about plugging in one of these instead of rewiring. Charges my phone, Surface Pro and keeps the garmin going too.

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
How about plugging in one of these instead of rewiring. Charges my phone, Surface Pro and keeps the garmin going too.
Thanks, that's the sort of thing we resorted to on the 'inaugural voyage' but long term I'd prefer the usb socket to work well and leave the ciggy charging socket for whatever else. Papa Fiat meant it to be like that after all..... :coolest:

OP
OP
L
Jul 16, 2017
Gers, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just run a new cable back to the leisure battery, that’s what I did, they can be used when parked up as well.
That was my last resort and I might, ultimately do that as I'm planning on putting in more charging points in the living/bed areas. My thought was that once stopped and the front seats turned, we're not likely to use the sockets in the dash. But who am I, nowt but a novice.... 👼

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
You need to know exactly what the spec of the USB socket is. The watts and amps vary enormously. The one in Richard n Ann's link takes 18W (=1.5A). The one in Russell's Dad's link takes 130W (= 11A). No point in getting stressed if it's only a couple of amps.

USB sockets use the data wires to work out what the socket can supply and what the device demands. A dumb device just gets 5V at up to 2.4A. That's about 12 watts, ie 1 amp from the 12V supply. Some high power sockets can supply 9V, 12V or 20V, at 2A, 3A or even up to 5A. That's up to 100W, ie about 8A from the 12V supply. These will be labelled 'PD' (= Power Delivery), and are capable of charging big laptops like a Macbook Pro. Some are double sockets, so you need to account for that. Most sockets are somewhere between the two extremes, you have to read the small print and do the calculation to see if they are suitable.

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The existing wiring will be fine, but please don't go budget on the USB outlet. The cheap plastic Chinese ones have a very nasty habit of overheating and melting or catching fire

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
Exactly what i have and we charge iphones, ipads and even my macbook as we drive. Been using it over a year and never had a problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back