C1 medical (1 Viewer)

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I telephoned DVLA to try to confirm how long in advance I could have my medical prior to sending in my application. I was told to send the forms in as soon as they were completed, which would probably mean bringing forward my renewal by a couple of months.
On the DVLA website it says the medical can be dated up to four months before submitting the application. Has anyone done this please. We will be away a couple of months before my license renewal date.
Thanks

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Get the medical done before you leave. Fill in the forms required. If using one of the doctors for drivers providers they usually have pre populated forms. Leave the envelope with all the required documents in it. Get someone to post it for you when required. Do not send your old license as they have been coming back with groups missing and without the old one you have no proof of your entitlements. I think this should work.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
My wife had hers done 3 months before and 4 months is the limit. However I think that the license application can only be made 45 days before renewal is due. Maybe wrong on exact days but circa.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Get the medical done before you leave. Fill in the forms required. If using one of the doctors for drivers providers they usually have pre populated forms. Leave the envelope with all the required documents in it. Get someone to post it for you when required. Do not send your old license as they have been coming back with groups missing and without the old one you have no proof of your entitlements. I think this should work.

Yes, but if stopped overseas, there is a possibility the driver will only have an expired licence, which would invalidate the insurance policy. Could be very expensive, worth renewing and loosing a month or so, in my opinion.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Yes, but if stopped overseas, there is a possibility the driver will only have an expired licence, which would invalidate the insurance policy. Could be very expensive, worth renewing and loosing a month or so, in my opinion.
He won’t have an expired license. He just won’t have his current one with him.

OP
OP
Casper46
May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Thanks everyone. I will arrange a medical before we leave and leave all the paperwork with our neighbour. I can email her when it’s due to be posted.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Just had a look at my licence as I had to get my first C1 renewal a couple of years ago and was in a similar position to you.

My 70th birthday was 1.5.2017
Applied to DVLA 8.3.2017
Licence issued 14.3.2017
Licence expires 30.4.2020

So there must have been some leeway regarding early application and bringing forward the expiry date of the new licence.

IMG_20190316_141214.jpg

Hope this helps.

Barry

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Dreading the end of the year as we both need C1 renewal within 3 days of each other. Had a bit of a hassle because of ruling changes and John's sleepm apnoea, needs to be monitored yearly by GP, parantly the consultant check isn't good enough :rolleyes:

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I am fairly sure theat 2-3 years ago DVLA were renewing from the expiry date.

More recently they have been challenged for renewing for 3 years from date they re-issue, but have been adamant that it is correct.

Geoff

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
My licence expires on the 19th I turn 70 on the 20th (jabuary)do I need to renew for 1 day? Will be applying mid November.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Not sure who you are using but can I suggest you use “Doctors on Wheels” dry competitive prices.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Not sure who you are using but can I suggest you use “Doctors on Wheels” dry competitive prices.
Very good and an alternative I use is D4Drivers (it's a quid cheaper).
No hassle, went to local hotel one Saturday, sent off on the Monday and licence received the next Saturday.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I hate these threads ! :mad:
I’m still waiting waiting waiting ........................................

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
MrG is also still awaiting a decision. He had a heart attack and double bypass twelve years ago and also has type 2 diabetes, both of which are under control with medication. Not even had one chest pain since then. Booked the D4 Drivers medical in December sent that off and then two months later the DVLA said he had to have a treadmill test at a local hospital. This was done at the beginning of February. This week he received a letter from DVLA to say that they were going to review his case. On Friday he phoned the DVLA to ask whether he is still entitled to drive as we are not sure if his licence is still valid as it should have expired in December. They sent him an email which didn't confirm whether his licence is valid or not so that was not worth anything!

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
My medical from was sent back back from the DVLA to the my doctor four weeks ago. I contacted DVLA last week they said that they had not received it. Contacted doctor agin they said it had been posted Thursday or Friday last week second class so DVLA should receive it Tuesday/Wednesday this week. Will wait until Tuesday 19 March to give them some time to get it sorted. Fingers crossed that they have received it and it's all sorted. Next time I will use my doctor and not D4 Drivers as my doctor as all my records.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
MrG is also still awaiting a decision. He had a heart attack and double bypass twelve years ago and also has type 2 diabetes, both of which are under control with medication. Not even had one chest pain since then. Booked the D4 Drivers medical in December sent that off and then two months later the DVLA said he had to have a treadmill test at a local hospital. This was done at the beginning of February. This week he received a letter from DVLA to say that they were going to review his case. On Friday he phoned the DVLA to ask whether he is still entitled to drive as we are not sure if his licence is still valid as it should have expired in December. They sent him an email which didn't confirm whether his licence is valid or not so that was not worth anything!
Since December? I had my medical last June. I eventually had an echocardiogram in January then a stress echo in March. Told I had passed DVLA requirements so now waiting for decision.

You are entitled to continue to drive under section 88 of the Road Traffic Act for up to 12 months whilst waiting for renewal. Not entitled to this of course, if your licence has been taken away due to medical reasons or convictions.

When my husband had waited 11 months for his renewal at 70, he had to contact our MP to get things moving.

john lillie

Banned
Life Ban
May 11, 2016
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
a class euramobil
Exp
25 years

the form REQUESTS returning of your existing licence, but of course, before you apply, you could"lose" your licence, apply for a replacement, then "if" you then find it again, you have a spare!

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
the form REQUESTS returning of your existing licence, but of course, before you apply, you could"lose" your licence, apply for a replacement, then "if" you then find it again, you have a spare!

DVLA will accpt reasons for not returning one's existing licence with the application.

Inside the UK the police can access DVLA records to confim one still has a valid licence during renewal. Outside UK this is not always possible.

So being outside the UK, including HGV drivers, is one reason for non-return of old licence.

One should enclose a letter explaining one's reason.

I have done this while outside the UK and there was no problem.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back