Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 25, 2019
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
rollerteam pegaso. A
Exp
a newby
One for the legal eagles. I am in the throes of renewing my truck and bus licenses but in a few months I will have my 70th birthday.
Will I be expected to take another medical to keep my C1 or is it covered by my truck entitlement.

OP
OP
wd1506
Jun 25, 2019
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
rollerteam pegaso. A
Exp
a newby
Yes medical has been annual since 65th birthday but this is the first time I’ve had to deal with the C1 issue.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Just make sure, especially in your case, that they don't accidently omit your C1 cat. entitlement when you renew your bus and truck licence.
It has been known.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Yes medical has been annual since 65th birthday but this is the first time I’ve had to deal with the C1 issue.
As you are providing the D4 medical form for the C and D entitlement the C1 is included as it is a lesser level. As above, just make sure that they return it with all of the existing categories as they have a habit of getting it wrong more than they should

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Will OP have to renew all licences at 70 though or will the recently renewed ones carry over?
No Annie, the recently renewed licences (annually) will run until expired, (4b on the front of the photocard licence). I have to go through the same process annually myself too.

If one has 'C' category on a licence does that not include all weights below that without being separately noted on the licence?
It does Geoff, but effectively only valid for 1 x year, as the licence validity date at 4b takes precedence....................regardless of the dates your other categories are valid for.

HTH,

Jock. :)

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
One for the legal eagles. I am in the throes of renewing my truck and bus licenses but in a few months I will have my 70th birthday.
Will I be expected to take another medical to keep my C1 or is it covered by my truck entitlement.
C1 is regarded as a sub-group of C so the renewal of C will automatically renew C1 but the validity will run in sync with the group C, hence the expiry would be the same as C. The grandfather rights entitlement granted with a car test pre-1997 falls under the global 70+ renewal process but as you are continuing with your Cat C the problem of the grandfather rights C1 would only crop up next year. Specifically renewing a C1 would only become necessary at the point you decide to drop Cat C and continue to rely on your initial car test entitlements.
If the two renewals you mention are less than 4 months from the medical you can use the same form.
As others have mentioned there are some horror stories of DVLA mistakes followed by denial of records of previous licence history. I suggest checking using this link and keeping the results page for future reference in case anything gets 'lost!'
You just need your licence number, NI number and Post Code to do the check. (also shows CPC and tachocard data if needed.)

I would also suggest keeping scanned copies of the D4 and D2 forms for peace of mind.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
C1 is regarded as a sub-group of C so the renewal of C will automatically renew C1 but the validity will run in sync with the group C, hence the expiry would be the same as C.
Is that not the advice I gave above, at 14.48hrs today?

I would also suggest keeping scanned copies of the D4 and D2 forms for peace of mind.
Absolutely crucial, wd1506, and of both sides of your photocard licence, as "it is you who needs to prove evidence" of what licence categories you are entitled to, when DVLA (very conveniently for them), lose your licence renewal application. :mad:

Experienced Traffic Police Officers have been known to lose their full Motorcycle category, due to the incompetence of DVLA, whereupon the applicant was unable to produce evidence of categories previously obtained. :(

Good luck,

OP
OP
wd1506
Jun 25, 2019
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
rollerteam pegaso. A
Exp
a newby
Is that not the advice I gave above, at 14.48hrs today?

Absolutely crucial, wd1506, and of both sides of your photocard licence, as "it is you who needs to prove evidence" of what licence categories you are entitled to, when DVLA (very conveniently for them), lose your licence renewal application. :mad:

Experienced Traffic Police Officers have been known to lose their full Motorcycle category, due to the incompetence of DVLA, whereupon the applicant was unable to produce evidence of categories previously obtained. :(

Good luck,

Yes I’ve kept copies of everything. Comes from years of dealing with VOSA. DVLA and DVSA.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I’m 70 in Nov but license is current until middle of next year.
As far as I understand it all licences have to be renewed at 70, that is none are valid after 70 but someone please correct me.
Quote from DVLA
Driving licences expire at 70 years of age, so when you reach 70, you need to renew your driving licence if you wish to continue driving.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
As far as I understand it all licences have to be renewed at 70, that is none are valid after 70 but someone please correct me.
Quote from DVLA
Driving licences expire at 70 years of age, so when you reach 70, you need to renew your driving licence if you wish to continue driving.
But if his C (HGV) category is current beyond the age of 70, so is his C1, until the expiry of the C.

Cheers,

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
But if his C (HGV) category is current beyond the age of 70, so is his C1, until the expiry of the C.

Cheers,

Jock I would think that is logical and correct.

I think the advice about renewal at 70 is for Joe Blogs with a standard licence, not for professional licence holders, but they should make that clear one way or another.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Your licence expires in full on your 70th birthday.
If It shows as expiring after that date it's an error.

Well that hasn’t helped!
And I can see why Annie, but as the OP already has a current C (HGV) licence beyond age 70, but only valid for 12 x months due to age, this then automatically extends his C1 to the same expiry date.

pappajohn is referring to the expiry date for the ordinary licence, which of course initially expires at 70. Renewals if wishing to retain the C1 then become 3 x yearly. Renewals for C (HGV) and D (PSV) become annual from age 65.
I shall be renewing my C & D again near the end of the year, and certainly before I head for the sun, for my licence not to expire whilst abroad.
Whilst Section 88 of the Road Traffic Act applies here in the UK, (allowing a continuation of driving whilst the renewal application is pending), it does not apply anywhere else. :(

HTH,

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Jock I would think that is logical and correct.

I think the advice about renewal at 70 is for Joe Blogs with a standard licence, not for professional licence holders, but they should make that clear one way or another.
Absolutely Geoff, hence my explanation to Annie above, a few minutes ago. (y)

Cheers,

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Your licence expires in full on your 70th birthday.
If It shows as expiring after that date it's an error.
Most do but vocational licensing and/or medical requirements can involve some delays and when issuing them the date of issue is the starting point for the 1, 3 or 5 year entitlement. Mine expires about 6 weeks after my birthday for this reason.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
How far in advance of 70 year expiry can you apply for new licence and get medical to maintain C1
90 days, however if you apply between 90 days and 56 days your licence will renew from the date of application but you will not need a new photo, if you apply after 56 days your license will renew from the expiry date of the old one but you will need a new photo to send with your application. Don't ask me why.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back