Motorhome Damp Issue in Potential Purchase (1 Viewer)

Apr 27, 2024
Funster No
MH
auto trail Delaware
We are looking to buy privately and have had a check done on a potential purchase. This has shown damp in the outside storage areas which the owner says is due to pressure washing around the outside doors. The garage is quite big and you can climb into it to access the floor. It's 11 years old and otherwise in really good condition and now I don't know if I should walk away (it's the only one we've found that fits our wish list) or ask them to get it dried and fixed. I've added a couple of boxes to show where the garage doors and outside storage is. What do you all think? Thanks
1714462209794.png

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
if you have the skills and time to do it and the price is right, then you could consider it BUT the price would reflect that. If it were me, i would always be thinking about the issue, will it come back, how bad is it etc and for that reason i would reject it, no matter how cheap, even if it was seriously under market value. That doesnt mean you should, but you need to consider any potential losses should you decide to sell a couple of years down the line.

with regards to pressure washing, if its the seals around the locker doors and windows, then they can be resealed but you dont know the extent of the damage behind the external skin.

Upvote 0
Mar 22, 2023
New Forest, United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 74C
Exp
Since 2005
We are looking to buy privately and have had a check done on a potential purchase. This has shown damp in the outside storage areas which the owner says is due to pressure washing around the outside doors. The garage is quite big and you can climb into it to access the floor. It's 11 years old and otherwise in really good condition and now I don't know if I should walk away (it's the only one we've found that fits our wish list) or ask them to get it dried and fixed. I've added a couple of boxes to show where the garage doors and outside storage is. What do you all think? Thanks
View attachment 891778
Walk away.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2021
Haslington, UK
Funster No
MH
Niesmann and Bischof
There are lots of motorhomes out there...I would walk away! You don't need to be talking hindsight a few months down the line.
I recommend you give Simon Select a call.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Theres 4 areas showing above what looks like the inspectores red flag number 15. If the seller "knows" they have been causing damp by using a jet wash why did they continue. The rear garage could be caused by any number of things. The off side front is most likely the vertical seal or the access hatch seal. The door area could be anything. As misterb says if you handy it could be worth the gamble but the fact you asking on here suggests you not looking to do the work yourself so you need to factor in the repairs which could very quickly mount up as you will not know the true extent of the damage till its all opened up.

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2021
Essex, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
It’s the readings on the rear which would worry me the most.
True, the problem could be caused by the garage seals leaking BUT directly above those high readings are the vertical corner joints and these (if leaking) will happily spread moisture over both rear quarters
This is not the sort of job which can be sorted by applying a bit of new mastic and/or replacing a few seals
At worst, the back end will need ripping out (from the inside) to see what is going on, not a job for the faint hearted
WALK
BTW - the only thing I use a pressure washer for is to clean patio slabs

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back