Buying a campervan in France? (1 Viewer)

fourgon24

Free Member
Apr 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
seriously looking
Hello there, newbie here from France (Brits abroad). Looking to buy my first campervan for driving around Europe - a few weeks at at time.

We bought our current LHD car in the UK (pre-Brexit) as it was so much cheaper than buying second hand in France.

Looking at a few listing sites the same seems to apply for campervans.

Is this forum members' experience also?

Would you recommend buying in France?

Thank you

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hello there, newbie here from France (Brits abroad). Looking to buy my first campervan for driving around Europe - a few weeks at at time.

We bought our current LHD car in the UK (pre-Brexit) as it was so much cheaper than buying second hand in France.

Looking at a few listing sites the same seems to apply for campervans.

Is this forum members' experience also?

Would you recommend buying in France?

Thank you
I think you will find MOST vehicles are more expensive if France. You don't indicate what your budget is, but, whilst whiling away the time last week, I had a look at a repairer adjacent to the A20 near Limoges and he had a selection of about a dozen, from around 20 000€ up to 70 000€. A few didn't have a specification or price on display. I will be back there tomorrow, so if you are interested I can enquire further. One thing I will mention to them will be to please list their stock on their web site.

John

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2022
Western France
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
Since 2006
I think the second-hand market for cars and vans is difficult to understand here. They hold their prices so well that it hardly seems worth buying them. Buying in the UK implies importing into France and I'm sure you know how bad the government website ANTS is for even the simplest jobs. Only you can decide whether it is worth the hassle.
On the other hand how good are you at asking questions and negotiating in French? Good luck with whatever you choose to do and let us know which way you jump.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fourgon24

Free Member
Apr 15, 2024
Funster No
MH
seriously looking
Hello Varaizian and Pilote87 thanks for your replies.

As I suspected then, France is not the place to find a ‘good deal’! Chatting to visitors from the UK last week who are seasoned campervan they told us a bit about the UK market and how they got their decent 10 year old crafter for around 25k (a few years back). From the listings I’ve seen in france there is next to nothing at this price range that seems like a worthwhile investment / same value for money as the UK market.
I speak good french but the world of second hand vehicle purchasing is difficult enough in English 😅

To your question Pilote87 20-25k would be my ideal budget, the idea is to be able to resell in say a year without too much depreciation (unless we get hooked!) my partner is focused on mileage but already in france the mileage on second hand vans seems higher (makes sense, bigger country, europe etc)

Another option is borrowing and getting insured on a family members existing van from the UK (as we will be visiting soon) though it would be nice to have our own!

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Ok tu dis que tu parles bien le Français... Voyons cela .. et sans google translate STP!!!! Juste toi , face au texte: Es-tu en mesure d'obtenir un renseignement que tu estimes important sans poser la question directement mais en usant de subterfuge pour y avoir accès sans avoir l'air d'y accorder une quelconque importance???
Merci de répondre en Français sans aucune aide!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2022
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Possl 2 win
Exp
40 years
Ok tu dis que tu parles bien le Français... Voyons cela .. et sans google translate STP!!!! Juste toi , face au texte: Es-tu en mesure d'obtenir un renseignement que tu estimes important sans poser la question directement mais en usant de subterfuge pour y avoir accès sans avoir l'air d'y accorder une quelconque importance???
Merci de répondre en Français sans aucune aide!
Eh?

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
LOL..... Just testing Fourgon a little bit on the French language matter! Nothing to worry about, no slang, no rudeness...
Oh and I don't think he is going to answer straight away as he has used his 5 posts already! He has to become a full member first thing first!

Upvote 0
Jun 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
Benimar
Exp
Check the tax for bringing a motor home into France you buy in england

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
If it's purely on the basis of the steering wheel being on the wrong side, there are usually loads for sale in the UK. But I know nothing about importing/registering in France

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back