Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
Well our road trip has come to an unexpected halt Today travelled down through France and into Spain driving passed Albox on the E-15 A-7 heading toward Almeria and smelt the dreaded electrical burning smell and smoke started coming from the drivers side footwell, we had a very quick stop and switched everything off.
contacted Sargent and explained what had happened, explained the earth wires from the vehicle battery in side had melted and burnt out. I asked if if they could send me a new unit which I’m waiting to find out if they will send a unit to Spain. Strangely they said I would need a new EM40 unit and the repair wiring harness, i found it strange they have a repair harness to hand, which makes me feel there has been a problem with their wiring. I asked if it’s happened a lot to be told a few have had this issue.
really interested if anyone else has had the problem. And if anyone know of anywhere in Spain that may be able to assist.
by unplugging everything from the unit I can still drive the van but nothing is working in the hab area. The van is an Autotrail Dakota 2015.

1808B7C0-D441-4BB9-8CA1-60C48DA30891.jpeg

ija

Free Member
Aug 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Sorry, feeding you duff info. It is a while since I did it so thought I would have a look.
The theory is the red plug carriers to 12v supply from the battery. Reducing the demand on this plug by removing the fridge heater supply means the RED plug is carrying a lot less current.
So I have removed the GREEN plug.
I have a red wire from the battery +ve connected to the TWO Red/Yellow wires.
I have a Black wire from the battery -ve connected top the TWO White/Black wires. These were removed from the Black plug which is still in situ but just with the small yellow wire connected.
Photos to follow in a minute.

Sorry, feeding you duff info. It is a while since I did it so thought I would have a look.
The theory is the red plug carriers to 12v supply from the battery. Reducing the demand on this plug by removing the fridge heater supply means the RED plug is carrying a lot less current.
I have a Black wire from the battery -ve connected top the TWO White/Black wires. These were removed from the Black plug which is still in situ but just with the small yellow wire connected.

Hi, are you still running with this bypass / repair as I’ve got a long french trip coming up in my Autotrail and would feel safer with this rather than risk te connector burning out

Upvote 0
Feb 4, 2009
Vale Of Glamorgan
Funster No
MH
Autotrail F70
Exp
Hi, are you still running with this bypass / repair as I’ve got a long french trip coming up in my Autotrail and would feel safer with this rather than risk te connector burning out
Hi I have just read on the Autotrail forum that they have been sending out letters for EM40 RECALL many have said they have had letters today

Upvote 0
Mar 9, 2019
Scotland
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Dakota ’14
Exp
Yes, still working.

I wonder what a dealer would think of it if I go for inspection with the recall 😂😂😂

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
Hi I have just read on the Autotrail forum that they have been sending out letters for EM40 RECALL many have said they have had letters today
Yes they're doing it for the EM55 & EM56 too, the problem is the Fridge D+ fuse. Thetford say it should be 25a rather than the 20a Sargent fit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Cockers
Jul 15, 2015
Isleham Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2012
I replaced my EM40 unit with the upgraded EM41, spoke to a guy at Sargent and explained I was using Lithium battery’s and he said the new EM41 unit would solve the problem. It came with new wiring harness which had upgraded connectors and bigger wiring.
Fitted it 6 months ago and had no problems since. Just had a long trip down to Italy where the weather was in the mid to late 30s with no problems. The EM41 did cost me £180.

Upvote 0
Jan 24, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Still learning 😊
I have a 2015 Autotrail, how would I identify if it had an EM40 unit fitted please? I have not received a recall letter yet.

Upvote 0

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We're currently travelling so no access to our mail.

Do you happen to have a link to the above?

Upvote 0

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
hi Mick

it’s a very common issue especially on Autotrails, I know quite a few owners had exactly the same issue. I’d urge you to also check the harness between the 3 stage charger and Sargent unit, a completely different issue but once again very common and melted everything 😟

Same thing, crap connectors and inferior capacity carryring cabling, if they charged us another £10 and used quality components this would never happen.

Hope you get sorted soon mate

Al
Just had to carry out the same repair problem when I got back from Spain, luckily I have a solar panel, I was in contact with Sargent they sent out a replacement lead, when I had removed the broken lead it was burnt out on the terminal, the replacement lead didn’t look any different to the one I have removed at least they sent out the cable FOC, but like everyone is thinking how long will it last.
2022 plate autotrail, and the recall said do not run fridge when travelling.

Upvote 0

Mick and Ruth

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 10, 2017
Wybunbury, Cheshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Apache 634 Hi Line
Exp
Since 2019
Just had to carry out the same repair problem when I got back from Spain, luckily I have a solar panel, I was in contact with Sargent they sent out a replacement lead, when I had removed the broken lead it was burnt out on the terminal, the replacement lead didn’t look any different to the one I have removed at least they sent out the cable FOC, but like everyone is thinking how long will it last.
2022 plate autotrail, and the recall said do not run fridge when travelling.
I replaced mine as was in Ireland when it went and paid Sargent for a replacement, got home 4 weeks later and Apuljack then released their version, I ordered that and immediately removed the Sargent one and it has remained in the box ever since, not fit for purpose. Had recall from Auto Trail two weeks ago e mailed them to say Im sticking with the Apuljack.

Upvote 0

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Parents have just had the same letter to say they need to return thr motorhome to where they brought tp have the EM40 replaces as failer can cause fire and loss of rear lights

Upvote 0

plug

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 11, 2022
West Kingsdown, UK
Funster No
MH
tracker eks
Exp
2021 and counting
I have a 2015 Autotrail, how would I identify if it had an EM40 unit fitted please? I have not received a recall letter yet.
The only information i have been given is this is caused by the thetford fridge, due to the amount of power it pulls.
I can’t confirm this as this information was given to me by company that is going to carry out the repair.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2021
Chippenham, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 610 Welcome
Exp
Ex Tugger saw the light in 2019
The only information i have been given is this is caused by the thetford fridge, due to the amount of power it pulls.
I can’t confirm this as this information was given to me by company that is going to carry out the repair.
I think you have hit the nail on the head regarding the fridge power. I have a thetford 3000 series and the PCB 20A fuse melted but didn’t fail and the solder melted off the board. Thetford have produced a version 2 for the 3000/4000 series fridges with a 25A fuse.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

• Back