Broken gas locker catch (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Hi all,
I went to replace a gas bottle today and when I operated the catch (a typical bonnet type release in the cab), there was a loud crack and the locker door remains locked.
I thought it might be the cable snapped and I was able to take up a lot of slack in the outer cable but operating the catch still won't work.
Of course, due to the design of the locker, it is now impossible to open the door normally. A quick look under the van didn't reveal any access to the inside and until I remove the seating over the area, I can't tell if it's possible from inside either.

Any experience or tips on what to do next?

Fortunately, I was only replacing the current spare bottle and am still connected to a 13kg with hopefully enough to last for a while. I'm not living in the van currently but will be going away in a weeks time.

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
What van do you have? I have an Autotrail Dakota and know of others who have had this problem. The cable splits inside the locker to two catches to which it attaches by cable ties!!
In my case one had snapped making it impossible to user the lever to open.
You can just about get long handled screw drivers up from the bottom to force the catches open. Only trouble is when you go to catch two, the first locks again. Friend to hold the first side of locker unlocked proved helpful :happy:

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
What van do you have? I have an Autotrail Dakota and know of others who have had this problem. The cable splits inside the locker to two catches to which it attaches by cable ties!!
In my case one had snapped making it impossible to user the lever to open.
You can just about get long handled screw drivers up from the bottom to force the catches open. Only trouble is when you go to catch two, the first locks again. Friend to hold the first side of locker unlocked proved helpful :happy:
It's a 2007 Cheyenne. Thanks for your suggestion. When it stops raining, I'll give it a go. Unfortunately I can't remember what the configuration of the mechanism is, despite seeing it on lots of occasions. Literally poking around in the dark!

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
The cable goes to a central point inside the locker door. It then splits to catches on either side of the locker. I was able to shine a torch through the gap to locate the catches. It took sometime and a lot of fiddling.
I have now used wire in addition to the cable ties to, hopefully, avoid a repeat.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
It's a 2007 Cheyenne. Thanks for your suggestion. When it stops raining, I'll give it a go. Unfortunately I can't remember what the configuration of the mechanism is, despite seeing it on lots of occasions. Literally poking around in the dark!
Send a pic of the door

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Send a pic of the door
DSC_2893_copy_1376x774.jpg

I could always try to get the pins out of the hinges, but trying to avoid obviously destructive methods. Hidden destruction is fine 😉

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
That’s the same as my locker door. You should be able to get at the catches from underneath.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Can someone with the same layout post a photo of the inside of the door to help locate the catches? Then a wire coat hanger suitably bent might be the way to go?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would expect there to be a hole in the base to allow gas to escape, that would be where I would attempt access 👍 good luck

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
One thing I'm thinking of is cutting a larger hole in the panel where the cable enters the locker, just under the catch handle itself. Then I could hopefully see what I'm aiming at and provide access for future purposes. Just have to avoid any gas hoses...

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
I must say that I appreciate all your responses, I have to leave for work in 10 minutes, so won't be attempting anything until tomorrow. Thanks again.

Dec 5, 2022
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail navajo
Exp
4 yrs
My autotrail locker went exactly the same as yours, as already suggested a very long handled screwdriver can be used to unlock the catches but takes a bit of perseverance.

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
Since 2015, still learning
On my 2003 I can reach under and pull the cable where it attaches to the latch. If your cable has broken there you may still be able to ,manipulate it. Sorry if your is sealed from underneath

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
On my 2003 where the latch is underneath the locker, you can actually get your hands on the latch underneath. Not great for security though! I find the end of the cable and pull it. Yours might still be attached 🤞

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
Well I got in, eventually! Several scrapes and scratches on my arm where I forced it through between the skirt and the locker.
The bracket for the cable is attached to the inside of the locker door - except mine wasn't anymore. Also one of the cable ties securing the end of the joining cable was broken. I had to release the catches with a screwdriver in the end.
I used a jack nut to refix the bracket to the door, with a washer at the back to hopefully spread the load. I also had to rotate the bracket 180 degrees to make up for the slightly closer position.
The locker actually pops open on release now, which it never did before.
Hopefully I won't have to do this again for a very long time!
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
DSC_2894_copy_1376x774.jpg

DSC_2895_copy_1376x774.jpg

DSC_2896_copy_1376x774.jpg

DSC_2897_copy_1376x774.jpg

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I would put another cable between the two latches, looser than the current one fitted, so if you get future failure, then you will have a backup plan and only need to hook the reserve link cable. Hope that makes sense.

OP
OP
Headrush
May 19, 2018
Funster No
I would put another cable between the two latches, looser than the current one fitted, so if you get future failure, then you will have a backup plan and only need to hook the reserve link cable. Hope that makes sense.
That’s actually a really good idea. I might bend the hook a bit to make sure it's secure on the cross cable too. Possibly some string attached to the secondary cross cable to make it easier to grab.
Thanks

Mar 14, 2020
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne
Exp
That’s such a different set up to mine with the single low level catch. Glad you got sorted

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
That’s actually a really good idea. I might bend the hook a bit to make sure it's secure on the cross cable too. Possibly some string attached to the secondary cross cable to make it easier to grab.
Thanks
Either a few cable ties together or a braided bike brake cable threaded through an electrical chocky block to secure it together in a loop.

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Well done. I strengthened mine with wire to back up cable ties. It’s a poor design. And as you found a fiddly job!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back