Brittany Ferries (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 28, 2016
Stockport, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bravaria i740 AClass
Do you early bookers just book the early bird tickets and chance not getting a refund or go for flexi tickets. If you couldn’t sail for some reason would your holiday insurance cover the loss?

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Unless I'm not sure over our timings for work or family, we are usually book the early bird.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Always book flexitickets, it’s so easy to change online for free up to 4hrs before crossing. The last couple of years when we’ve done bookings in Jan you’ve got flexi tickets for the price of normal ones. Our French ones in Aug and Oct were booked back in Jan . Not likely to change outgoing but may well change return. Always book 2 singles otherwise it wont work.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Always book flexitickets, it’s so easy to change online for free up to 4hrs before crossing. The last couple of years when we’ve done bookings in Jan you’ve got flexi tickets for the price of normal ones. Our French ones in Aug and Oct were booked back in Jan . Not likely to change outgoing but may well change return. Always book 2 singles otherwise it wont work.
I have changed both outgoing and return journeys on a booked return flexi without a problem.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have changed both outgoing and return journeys on a booked return flexi without a problem.
I meant that if you’ve booked a return ticket and have used the first bit ie left the UK you can’t or couldn’t then change the return leg. Maybe things have changed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I have just booked with 2 single flexi tickets but not much point really as we need a dog cabin so unlikely to be able to change our sailings to another day on a whim but it does allow us to change to next winter sailings if something prevents us from travelling at all this winter.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I meant that if you’ve booked a return ticket and have used the first bit ie left the UK you can’t or couldn’t then change the return leg. Maybe things have changed.
I think you are correct, once used first leg the flexi bit cannot be used on the second - I don’t understand why, it seems an unnecessary rule if they have space and you paid the extra.

Jul 3, 2019
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Ducato MWB, DIY :-)
Exp
10 years campervanning, 60+ camping
We've just taken the early bird. £15 saving, but still only £20 to adjust. To me that works, as if we assume that if we can't go this year, we'll go next; and we can stand lending BF the fare.
Never needed to change yet though, but maxing trips around work dictates hitting particular dates.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
I’ve only booked the return trip so far on April 10 as it’s the shorter crossing mainly in time to Plymouth. I book a flexi just in case it looks like it will be a rough crossing and would then change it to St Malo or Caen .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Do you early bookers just book the early bird tickets and chance not getting a refund or go for flexi tickets. If you couldn’t sail for some reason would your holiday insurance cover the loss?
I always book the flexi..Changed crossing 14 times one year..BUSBY.

Reactions: DBK
Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
They must have, I changed to an earilier return date whilst in France last year.

Apr 9, 2022
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 1984
They must have, I changed to an earilier return date whilst in France last year.
Did you change it yourself online or did you ask BF to do it? They will always do it for you regardless of the ticket type but are supposed to charge an amendment fee if you are outside the permitted times. However, I've known the charge to be discreetly "forgotten" on occasion.

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
We always book flexi as we never know if we are going till the last minute but coming back we have not so far had to change it as I always need to get back for work. :(

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I think you are correct, once used first leg the flexi bit cannot be used on the second - I don’t understand why, it seems an unnecessary rule if they have space and you paid the extra.
Sorry. That's not correct Today we changed our travel plan for the return leg of our Flexi ticket. Changed departure port from St Malo to Caen. Changed times and cabin type. All done online, no problem and no additional cost. Always book a Flexi ticket, dearer but does what it says on the tin.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Sorry. That's not correct Today we changed our travel plan for the return leg of our Flexi ticket. Changed departure port from St Malo to Caen. Changed times and cabin type. All done online, no problem and no additional cost. Always book a Flexi ticket, dearer but does what it says on the tin.
Good to know.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Have you already used the outward leg? So you made this change while in France/Spain or wherever?

May 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Timberland Destiny
In the past once you had used the departure on a flexi ticket then the return was fixed and could only be changed by phoning and incurring a fee. It would seem it has changed as it always seemed an odd rule. The big advantage is being able to change it on line.

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Have you already used the outward leg? So you made this change while in France/Spain or wherever?
Yes we travelled Portsmouth to Santander in late June. Now on a campsite near Caen and made the booking change online earlier today. Now have the confirmation of changed booking.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Well I'd say that is not correct.

We booked on flex return in January. Travel out ok wanted to adjust the return whilst in France. We were charged despite having flex.
We were advised once the first part of the trip is made you get charged. This has not changed.

We were advised by Brittany ferries to book 2 single trips, out and back then if you want to adjust the return you have up to 4 hrs before crossing on both trips.

You will not be able to adjust your return flex crossing once you have checked in on way to France if you have booked a return crossing.

checked just now on the website

FLEXI
Amendments (on booking)
Free
up to 4 hours before outward sailing.
£20 amendment fee thereafter via the website
£30 amendment fee outside the website
Cancellation fee

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We booked Early Bird but what you do is instead of cancelling and loosing your money you move it to an alternative crossing then you don't loose your money

We booked our Out via Ouistreham and our return to Plymouth last night

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Well I'd say that is not correct.

We booked on flex return in January. Travel out ok wanted to adjust the return whilst in France. We were charged despite having flex.
We were advised once the first part of the trip is made you get charged. This has not changed.

We were advised by Brittany ferries to book 2 single trips, out and back then if you want to adjust the return you have up to 4 hrs before crossing on both trips.

You will not be able to adjust your return flex crossing once you have checked in on way to France if you have booked a return crossing.

checked just now on the website

FLEXI
Amendments (on booking)
Free
up to 4 hours before outward sailing.
£20 amendment fee thereafter via the website
£30 amendment fee outside the website
Cancellation fee
Our situation is different.
We travelled to Spain on the outward leg.
We were charged the £20 amendment fee but new fare plus £20 was less than original return crossing fare. So paid no additional fare
All depends on your route and timing.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We were charged the £20 amendment fee but new fare plus £20 was less than original return crossing fare. So paid no additional fare
In that case what we were saying in the first place is better. If you book two singles you won’t have to pay the £20 amendment fee and would still get the cheaper fare.

Two singles gives more flexibility and isn’t dearer but may be cheaper. There are no disadvantages.

Dec 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Did you change it yourself online or did you ask BF to do it? They will always do it for you regardless of the ticket type but are supposed to charge an amendment fee if you are outside the permitted times. However, I've known the charge to be discreetly "forgotten" on occasion.
Phonecall.

Jun 14, 2014
Coventry
Funster No
MH
IH N680CFL
Exp
Since2014
Sorry. Your original post then is misleading and not helpful to others as you were charged to change.
By booking single tickets you would have avoided this and saved money

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Sorry. Your original post then is misleading and not helpful to others as you were charged to change.
By booking single tickets you would have avoided this and saved money
And there I was thinking I was being helpful.
The key words in my original post were "no additional cost".

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I always book separate flexi tickets.

However, here is the thing to watch.

If you amend any tickets online, quite often, the prices are charged at more than a new booking .

So, say you change a motorhome crossing and the price shows £415 for new crossing.

Go back in and try the same route, vehicles and passengers. On a fresh booking . You may find that new booking would only be say, £375.

So I then call Brittany ferries and dispute the amended ticket price. They have always honoured it and blamed it on “the system”.

Only on one occasion did I get a French woman who refused to credit the difference. I argued and argued and she eventually went away and spoke with Someone (she was probably working from home, so made coffee). Came back and reluctantly amended the price.

I don’t see why I should pay for flexi, then be charged more than someone coming along and making a new booking.

Jul 15, 2024
Honiton, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Navajo
Exp
Hi, This may be a bit off topic! has anyone encountered a problem with customs etc in Europe by not having a return ticket? We are are travelling from the UK to Spain/Portugal for three months and hoping to buy in Portugal and retire on the D7 Visa. We were hoping to leave the return journey open for various reasons but obviously return within the 90 day period. Thanks in advance for your input.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back