Bip&Go v. Emovis tags - costs (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 24, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
Jim’s new post asking for members’ experiences in France has got me thinking about the autoroutes and how to pay. For donkeys years we have used a credit card at the toll booths, but find them awkward now as the “slots” are positioned for cars or HGVs, and motorhomes are at an “in between” height.

I have just looked at Bip&Go, but our current account with the Nationwide is not linked with their payment system (n)

The Emovis is more expensive to buy and maintain, and for the months used, than Bip&Go, but the toll costs seem reasonable with regard to exchange rates etc. and invoiced later.

Bip&Go must be linked to a current account. My question for those who use Bip&Go is: what fees are associated with taking more numerous individual toll payments (I assume)? Does your bank charge a foreign exchange fee or foreign transaction fee each time? How much?

In other words, what price is convenience?

Many thanks in anticipation….

Jun 12, 2020
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138 Compact
Exp
Since 2017
Bip n Go is 1.70 Euro per month ( even if only used 1 day in the calendar month) or flat rate 16 euro for the year
I pay direct debit via my Starling account (great for EU) which gives a good exchange rate.
I've used bip n go for 4 years now in France, Spain, Portugal and Italy and have had zero issues, albeit I still prefer toll-free routes where possible.

Upvote 1
Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
We are planning to go to Italy and I was going to get a Bip & Go.
Two questions:
1: I have an Autotrail Tracker which has an overhang over the windscreen. Will the tag work if placed at the top of the screen as per instructions?
2: Will I be able to set up payments through my Santander current account?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2023
Rochdale, UK
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 675
Exp
I’m a newbie
Hi
We are looking forward to a trip to France in the summer and are considering a toll tag, but we are about 3.2m high and have been updated from 3500kg to 4100kg. When I look at the tags usually recommended on here they all seem to be for :h:.2m.

Can anyone who is in a similar position to us advise which tag they use?

Thanks

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Toll charges are the same for all the tags I believe. Good thing about emovis is its billed in GBP at interbank rates from EUR and taken from a UK bank account and everything is in English.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Bip n Go is 1.70 Euro per month ( even if only used 1 day in the calendar month) or flat rate 16 euro for the year
I pay direct debit via my Starling account (great for EU) which gives a good exchange rate.
I've used bip n go for 4 years now in France, Spain, Portugal and Italy and have had zero issues, albeit I still prefer toll-free routes where possible.
Bip 'n' Go doesn't charge a fee if it's not used in a month, so if you only use it 3 months a year .....
Revolut pays the DD from my € balance

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2007
Two questions:
1: I have an Autotrail Tracker which has an overhang over the windscreen. Will the tag work if placed at the top of the screen as per instructions?
When we had a Tracker it worked at the bottom middle of the screen. Only problem is it will pick you up as class 3 on height & you have to press the button to speak to them & shout class 2 to get them to reduce it.

Upvote 0
Feb 10, 2024
Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker
When we had a Tracker it worked at the bottom middle of the screen. Only problem is it will pick you up as class 3 on height & you have to press the button to speak to them & shout class 2 to get them to reduce it.
I wondered about the height. It’s supposed to be 2.95m but that’s probably a bit too close!

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2009
Chandlers Ford, Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner TD700 H L
Exp
Since 2008
Bip and Go works great, used it in Italy, France, Spain, and Portugal, without any issues....and it's set up with our NatWest current account....there are those who say it doesn't work wirh NatWest 😊

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Two questions:
You will need to place the tag lower down. Cars place them on the top but on a van thats only about half way up the vans screen. So putting it lower should be ok. Santander is or was a no. It's not the bank but the newish European computer system that is used not all British banks have yet installed the system. You will need to ask the banks you are with if they do it. We have Santander and virgin, neither have the system, so had to use my daughter's Lloyds bank account. We like the bip and go works well.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jul 24, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
Our MH is allegedly 2.89 m high, haven’t measured it myself, but we’ve never been charged as class 3 over many trips.

Upvote 0
Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Had an email today from Emovis, who are "adjusting" their prices, to £10 pa plus local taxes for annual management fee, and £7 plus local taxes for each month you use a tag, maximum charge is for 2 months per year.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2022
Kidsgrove, North Staffordshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B778 PL
Exp
Since 1992
When I looked at the application form for a tag they ask for height and weight.
Travelling to Spain and back this year through France in a Hymer tag axle, 8.5 mt long 2.9 mt high, 5000 kg towing a trailer I was always issued a Class 2 ticket or for some sections without tickets Class 2 on the readout at the booth.
I had issues with a DKV tag I had from work for a 42500 kg motorhome. The tag said I was Class 3 but the booths said Class 2 and the gate would not open. The woman on the intercom kept saying wrong payment.
Load of mither for the big ones.

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Two questions:
We had an Auto trail Tracker FB and I just put the tag behind the interior mirror never had a problem with it there😊👍

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J
Jul 24, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Benimar coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2018
Had an email today from Emovis, who are "adjusting" their prices, to £10 pa plus local taxes for annual management fee, and £7 plus local taxes for each month you use a tag, maximum charge is for 2 months per year.
Got the same email yesterday. In a roundabout way they say take it or leave it. Guess it’s a small price to pay for the convenience.

Upvote 0

cencerrita

Free Member
Jul 19, 2024
Funster No
MH
don't own one yet
I have a Bip&go which worked great for the 2 months away this year in Europe. No problem paying in euros as I have a Wise.com account and they direct debit to this monthly. This means I can change money into euros or any currency when the exchange rate is best during the year. I have been using them for 10 years or more traveling the world. Best exchange rates and instant.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Our Full tag worked well in France> we will be testing it in Portugal soon too.

My Fulli tag worked perfectly in Portugal earlier this year, (and Spain and France, plus Italy last year). Invoicing for the Portuguese legs was slow, so don’t worry if it doesn’t show up on your account for a couple of months depending on when in the invoicing cycle you use it.

Upvote 0
Sep 7, 2017
Funster No
My Fulli tag worked perfectly in Portugal earlier this year, (and Spain and France, plus Italy last year). Invoicing for the Portuguese legs was slow, so don’t worry if it doesn’t show up on your account for a couple of months depending on when in the invoicing cycle you use it.
Did it work on all toll roads or did you have to do anything else such as register your number plate and credit card? We are going in August.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Did it work on all toll roads or did you have to do anything else such as register your number plate and credit card? We are going in August.

Just used it on the toll roads without any further input or action required. Most of the ones we were on had the gantry system with no booths to navigate or register at anyway. Invoice turned up in my Fulli account two months later.

Upvote 0

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
I've tried card numbers