Bike rack issue or not? (12 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Hi Guys,

I've recently purchased a camper from a well known member of MHF and have started to make it my own.

Ive added a bike rack (A single door Thule G2 Sport Universal, as they dont seem to make one for the Renault Master) I have mounted it high up enough to clear the rear lights so that isnt an issue, however as the rack is only mounted on the drivers side door (with the rails slid as far Left as possible) The bikes still stick out a few Inches. Probably no more than the mirrors in reality.

What are your thoughts, There is plently of room on the left side, so if i get another rail i could probably cut it in half and somehow extend the existing rails to the left which would put extra strain on the existing rails, however i could strap the extended rails up to the bars that attach to the door for added support.

I just wondered if this is a common issue and what you guys have done?

Pics below.

Thanks all

Nov 4, 2022
Hampshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
Since 2005
Found this on the RAC website:
'The Highway Code states loads must be secure and 'must not stick out dangerously' or create a dangerous situation for other road users.'

Not very useful. Back in the day it was not to be outside the width of the vehicle mirrors, but lengthwise you could carry a K4 kayak on a mini roof with a coloured flag on the back.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Thanks Guys, I'll also be towing My motorbike on a Single trailer a lot of the time, so i could think about making someting to mount them on there, but the whole point is the M/bike is easily removable without having to faff with bikes.

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I don’t see why this is any different!

In fact your setup is more secure and protruding less.

IMG_1425.png

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
I don’t see why this is any different!

In fact your setup is more secure and protruding less.

View attachment 944022
Have another look. Wheels obstructing lights and carrier over what would be the number plate if fitted. Should not extend beyond the vehicle width.
10 years ago a young mother was killed on a B-road having, amongst other factors had her bike caught by a protruding bike wheel on a car travelling in the opposite direction.
Just because some do it, doesn't make it ok.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
For the OP.
Measure the van width and the longer bike length to give max wiggle room. Probably the front end of the bike can be moved to the far end of the rack on NS and also keeping weight on the OS.
Consider the bike weights and effect on rack capacity, especially if extending the tracks.
My Thule has another constraint being the grab handles and crossbar access. My wife's smaller bike is grabbed by the seatpost.
Also it was last year, I think it was Spanish police targeted with fines UK arrivals off the ferry with bikes overhanging.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Couldn't you just take the front wheel off?
For once I agree with you! :giggle: It also reduces the weight on the rack and door, which are probably at their limit/over, and also makes the bikes less appealing to be nicked as difficult to ride with no front wheel. :LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Couldn't you just take the front wheel off?
Well yes, but then there will be added weight on the grab handles as they are taking half the weight of each bike. I could possibly weld up some sort of support though that attaches to the wheel trays and and the forks sit in with a front wheel QR skewer.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
For the OP.
Measure the van width and the longer bike length to give max wiggle room. Probably the front end of the bike can be moved to the far end of the rack on NS and also keeping weight on the OS.
Consider the bike weights and effect on rack capacity, especially if extending the tracks.
My Thule has another constraint being the grab handles and crossbar access. My wife's smaller bike is grabbed by the seatpost.
Also it was last year, I think it was Spanish police targeted with fines UK arrivals off the ferry with bikes overhanging.

I have tried moving the bikes around and unfortunately the bikes are really at the limits of the trays, especially my daughters 29" wheel.

Also it seriously messes with my sense of symmetry!! :smiley:

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Can you point me to that info, I've not seen it, cheers
Thinking this was the reason, but cannot yet locate the police action.
Regards

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
From the info supplied above which is Spain specific, it is permitted to have the bike protruding out as far as the rear view mirrors, with the appropriate warning signs.

As the OP s bikes do not protrude past the rear view mirrors I would think that for the UK it would be more than adequate to have some form of marker on the protruding wheel to help pedestrians and other drivers see it more clearly.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
From the info supplied above which is Spain specific, it is permitted to have the bike protruding out as far as the rear view mirrors, with the appropriate warning signs.

As the OP s bikes do not protrude past the rear view mirrors I would think that for the UK it would be more than adequate to have some form of marker on the protruding wheel to help pedestrians and other drivers see it more clearly.
Red/Yellow Tea towel it is then. :) Or we may have some warning tape at work.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

My concern is that putting something on the protruding bits could reduce the rear visibility via the mirrors, personally I'd remove the front wheels to keep the rear view as clear as possible.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Do the trays/wheel channels not move on the rack? They do on my Fiamma rack!
👍😁
Yes they do, but are currently moved as far as they will go to the Left.

My concern is that putting something on the protruding bits could reduce the rear visibility via the mirrors, personally I'd remove the front wheels to keep the rear view as clear as possible.

That is doable but i need to fabricate some other means of supporting the bikes at the base of the fork legs as i cant have all the load on the grab bars.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes they do, but are currently moved as far as they will go to the Left.

That is doable but i need to fabricate some other means of supporting the bikes at the base of the fork legs as i cant have all the load on the grab bars.
If you turn the handlebars 90 degrees the forks should fit in the rails, you'd just need to make a packer/fitting to keep them there and strap/fasten them in, only question then is would the end of the handlebars stick out the sides still but if so they would be a much smaller issue ref rear view from the mirrors. You could just loosen the bars and turn them 90 degrees so they are still sitting front to back as per in your picture.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
If you turn the handlebars 90 degrees the forks should fit in the rails, you'd just need to make a packer/fitting to keep them there and strap/fasten them in, only question then is would the end of the handlebars stick out the sides still but if so they would be a much smaller issue ref rear view from the mirrors. You could just loosen the bars and turn them 90 degrees so they are still sitting front to back as per in your picture.
That is a good shout. I do have a 3D printer, so i feel a new design project coming on :)

Thank you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
Slight potential fly in the ointment for using the wheel trays for the bottom of the fork legs, grab bars won’t reach. I may be able to re position them onto seat posts but they may not move enough. I’ll check before designing holders.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
If you go the wheel removal route there are numerous bike fork mounts already on the market. Most will bolt or screw through the track. Mount feet vary in width and you'll need to decide, through axle size, or quick release and some are lockable.
Aluminium box section is a consideration if you want to extend the track.

Upvote 0
Oct 20, 2023
Scotland, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
If you rotate the forks, you'll need wedges to compensate for the angles you have created.
Also beware as lowering the forks will throw the handlebars forward.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Speedytriple
Apr 7, 2024
Funster No
MH
2017 Renault Master
So update for my 'fix' on the bike racks

WhatsApp Image 2024-10-02 at 09.43.45_0c7e6ab5.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-10-02 at 09.43.45_b9242502.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-10-02 at 09.43.45_d237e857.jpgWhatsApp Image 2024-10-02 at 09.43.45_f16a8e66.jpg

Basically i got some 50mm ally angle, 3D printed some end caps, and adaptors that followed the profiles between original racks and the angle and bolted it alll together.. Not especially pretty but not too bad and not too expensive.

Only potential spanner in the ointment is the additional weight on the left side of the trays is further over and will put more strain on the brackets mounted to the doors. I will however strap the bar between the two trays on the far left up to take some of the load to the top bracket.

Feel free to tell me that at the first sign of a bump it will rip the door off and the van will explode into a fireball killing everyone onboard! :LOL:

Upvote 0
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
So update for my 'fix' on the bike racks

View attachment 959212View attachment 959213View attachment 959214View attachment 959215

Basically i got some 50mm ally angle, 3D printed some end caps, and adaptors that followed the profiles between original racks and the angle and bolted it alll together.. Not especially pretty but not too bad and not too expensive.

Only potential spanner in the ointment is the additional weight on the left side of the trays is further over and will put more strain on the brackets mounted to the doors. I will however strap the bar between the two trays on the far left up to take some of the load to the top bracket.

Feel free to tell me that at the first sign of a bump it will rip the door off and the van will explode into a fireball killing everyone onboard! :LOL:
Can you support the left side with a strip from the extension to the top of the left door a bit like they do with some commercial bike racks for hatchbacks.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back