Beware out there folks - not nice 'present' on returning home today (225 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
At least in Wales and parts of Scotland they put of a sign with a big 20 on it.
Germany if a town or village has a red line around the name it's 50kph anything slower they put a sign up.
It's easy to forget but I do have the satnag set to ping when over limits but that's not 100% reliable.
About us there was a blanket 20 introduced in all areas that were 30. Some bits on outskirts of towns they have now revised limits back to 30.
Over all it has definitely slowed traffic. People will still drive at over 20 just like people used to drive at over 30.

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
And for anyone planning on visiting North Wales, thanks to Plaid (never thought I would say that), we actually have the lowest number of 20 zones :)
Nothing to do with Plaid. We have far fewer built up areas (20mph zones) than South Wales. The gaps between the villages are long enough to be left at 40mph.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I may be wrong but I believe it was all brought about by an idiot who did even drive!
Typical. The local Council's officer responsible for new road "improvements" aka war on cars round here also has no driving licence. Allegedly.

The bus-mad Metro Mayor (Dan Norris MP, Lab) is pushing ahead with his A4 "improvement" by putting 24 hour bus lanes on the by-pass that will improve bus journeys between Bath and Bristol in the rush hour by an estimated average 42 seconds. The resulting congestion and delay for every other road user will be horrendous, as the existing dual carriageway will effectively become a single carriageway road in both directions. Drivers will be stuck nose-to-tail in a jam, while a half-empty bus goes past doing 50 mph, at 10 minute intervals. Despite an overwhelming public response opposing his scheme during the "consultation". These anti-car zealots don't care and don't listen. :mad:

Oct 2, 2020
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
1 year, in these times
I assume you are up to date on the Highway Code which clearly states the default speed limit in Wales is 20 (with street lights).
Now I know that people don’t in fact read the Highway Code.
I feel that regular repeaters for 20 is safer than driver reeducation.
Welsh politicians and their advisers did not.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
20MPH On an A road bonkers. I live near the Welsh border but now nine times out of ten choose to not enter Wales.

I am totally in favour of sending in the British Army to re-annex Monmouthshire and make that County part of England again.

I think of Monmouthshire as England's Kosovo.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 5, 2023
Sutherland Scotland
Funster No
MH
Toyota hiace
Exp
I’m a newbie
This... would have been while navigating a horrible and busy forced diversion through the town at the alleged time. 🙄

So lovely of them!

View attachment 957189
20 mile an hour speed limits are becoming the norm up here in Scotland so beware if you are doing Highlands or North Coast 500 as you will find most villages are 20mph and the ones that aren’t will be soon as Highland is rolling them out. And just to be clear when our village became 20mph most of us villagers/ drivers didn't know. We hadn’t asked for the change. We didn’t have accident black spots within the area covered by 20 mph. We are told it’s to save lives but it’s annoying

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
personally I'd like to see the whole lot broken up & borders put back with passports needed.

I argued with the trainer at the speed awareness course and he said if I didn't accept 32 was too fast he would fail me.
I'd have slapped him so hard his ear drums would have burst.Then again I would not have attended because I know what would happen & stupidly I try to protect scum like that.
Still angry after 5 years.
try 44 years & a copper proved to be lying in court but still kept his job.
I live in and love Wales. How do you think I feel when I have to drive at no more than 20mph everyday and my motorhome friends want to avoid my principality? :unsure:
you need to be hunting down those who were elected .make there lives a misery.
They are there to work for the pèople nothing else. bins empty,lights on, roads like aircraft runways . etc,etc. nothing else.

trevor 87

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 24, 2008
Hungary
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Glen 560
Exp
This... would have been while navigating a horrible and busy forced diversion through the town at the alleged time. 🙄

So lovely of them!

View attachment 957189
You can get away with this speeding fine easily buy filling int the required driver detail but where it asks you ( DO NOT SIGN a THE DOCUMENT) and then return by post to the address provided the magistrates will have to find you not guilty as it’s not law that you have to sign the document and there for you cannot be guilty There is actually a video on YouTube explaining it all and the police even know about the loophole
If I can find the video I will post it it’s buy a YouTuber called Richard vobes
There is a caviat to this you cannot actually go to court in person as you would be. Charged with even more offences the black belt barrister explains all of this in his video. All interesting stuff 👍enjoy

IMG_2834.png

IMG_2835.png

Last edited:
May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
We call ourselves a democracy and yet these ridiculous speed limits are forced upon us by some faceless council bureaucrats.

I say to them... If you're that brainless that you have to drive at 20mph so you don't run someone over, then please feel free. Don't judge all of us by your standards. No offence.
When I was a local government Parks Manager re-introducing grazing with rare breeds onto common land I got called "a faceless bureaucratic orc". 🤣 Never forgotten it.

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Carmarthenshire Council have recently issued orders for reverting a raft of 20mph limits which will come into effect on the 4th of October. They have also taken the opportunity to impose further 20mph limits on roads "missed" at the original change last year.

For those who know the Burry Port - Pembrey area, it would appear that some of the A484 Llanelli Carmarthen Road will return to 30mph, but the access road to the Country Park will now be reduced to 20mph.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
You must have a different application on speed fines in your van part of the country.
I attended naught school for 35 in a 30 and was clearly told that had I been doing 34 I would not have been there.
I got my one and only speeding ticket less than half mile from my house doing 34 in a 30. I was accerarating uphill leaving a 30 zone and there was a camera van sitting amongst 2 builders vans. I appealed but got nowhere, it is open countryside with only one house. That is now a 20 limit and like many in Wales it's bonkers.
We regularly take our van to Aberaeron and have to skirt the very edge of Aberystwyth which is a 20 limit on route. It regularly takes over 15 minutes to travel just over half mile because of congestion which was never ever an issue when it was a 30 limit. A 20 limit is ok if common sense is used but overnight they did away with virtually every 30 limit in Wales. Some common sense has returned as they've realised their error but nowhere near enough to undo the damage done. An example being in North Wales where the bus service was reduced because the drivers could only do two thirds of the distance they would normally do in a shift. Just one of many crazy ideas thought up but not thought through in the Cardiff cattle shed :clown:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
I live in and love Wales. How do you think I feel when I have to drive at no more than 20mph everyday and my motorhome friends want to avoid my principality? :unsure:
I think you feel absolutely marvelous as when you visit someone else's country as a guest you abide by their laws
England , Ireland Scotland, Wales Australia Spain and in the USA break their laws they shoot you.
I am totally in favour of sending in the British Army to re-annex Monmouthshire and make that County part of England again.

I think of Monmouthshire as England's Kosovo.
The difference is Putin wanted Kosovo :whistle2:

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
It wouldn't be rubbish if not for the petty people that do things like this. I got done for doing 32 mph at 06:00 in the morning. I was easy prey for them. I had to go on a speed awareness course. Since then Wales is not for me. There are some beautiful parts yes, but then there are lots of alternatives.
The allowance given on exceeding the limit is 10% so you were doing at least 33mph
you have been charged at 32mph as that allows you to opt for a speed awareness course = no points
on your licence 33+ = fixed penalty + 3 points
be thankful.

Sep 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Mc Louis Lagan
Hello from Caerphilly!
I spent 15 years as a driving instructor here in Wales. I gave it up when road humps were introduced as I got fed up with spending all day banging up and down.
The 20 mph limit should have been used only where required. The problem as always with politics is that the politicians are rarely qualified to do anything other than to sit down and pass motions. (You might need to read that a few times).
The big problem in Wales has yet to come. The Welsh government wants to employ another 36 politicians because they can't cope with the 60 they now have. The mind boggles.
We usually go to North Wales for our hols but
councillors in Beaumaris have banned motorhomes from the car park, so we're thinking of going abroad next year, humm, Cornwall?
😂

Dec 2, 2020
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Talisman
Exp
Camper vans for 20 years until 2020 when we bought our first motorhome
Can I (heaven forbid!) introduce a note of sanity here? If I drive from where I live to Chepstow it takes me 14 minutes if there is no other traffic. I go through Tintern (half a mile at 20mph) and St Arvans (300 metres at 20 Mph). Using a calculator I find that if I were allowed to go at 30mph in these villages, the trip would take me 14.3 minutes. Oh my god! The end of civilisation as we know it! Incidentally, I personally have not seen a situation where the road goes from 60 to 20 just like that - there is always a transition to 30 first. I drive a lot in France, and 20mph (well, 30kmh, which is less than 20mph) is commonplace in areas where there are lots of pedestrians and I have never heard any of my French friends complain. Perhaps because, like me, they also walk and cycle (Don't get me started about the attitude to cyclists of many British motorists! It's why I hate cycling in Britain and love cycling in polite and considerate France. And PLEASE don't tell me of a rude or dangerous experience you have had in France, of course we all have, but I'm talking about the generality here.) I realise I am out of step with many posters on this site, but I still like MotorHome Fun, I have had much help from its contributors over the years and will continue to participate and subscribe. It would be dull world if we were all the same!

Aug 16, 2024
Hertfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
dipping a toe
People that agree with these 20mph limits should have a permanent 20mph limiter fitted to their cars. Then they will know how it feels for us normal drivers.
that would work well, fancy being stuck behind them?

As it goes, what is the life of the occasional OAP or child to getting somewhere faster?

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
Can I (heaven forbid!) introduce a note of sanity here? If I drive from where I live to Chepstow it takes me 14 minutes if there is no other traffic. I go through Tintern (half a mile at 20mph) and St Arvans (300 metres at 20 Mph). Using a calculator I find that if I were allowed to go at 30mph in these villages, the trip would take me 14.3 minutes. Oh my god! The end of civilisation as we know it! Incidentally, I personally have not seen a situation where the road goes from 60 to 20 just like that - there is always a transition to 30 first. I drive a lot in France, and 20mph (well, 30kmh, which is less than 20mph) is commonplace in areas where there are lots of pedestrians and I have never heard any of my French friends complain. Perhaps because, like me, they also walk and cycle (Don't get me started about the attitude to cyclists of many British motorists! It's why I hate cycling in Britain and love cycling in polite and considerate France. And PLEASE don't tell me of a rude or dangerous experience you have had in France, of course we all have, but I'm talking about the generality here.) I realise I am out of step with many posters on this site, but I still like MotorHome Fun, I have had much help from its contributors over the years and will continue to participate and subscribe. It would be dull world if we were all the same!
Using a calculator my half mile skirting Aberystwyth at 20 mph shouldn't take over 15 minutes, that is how the so called politicians in Cardiff worked it out, but I don't drive a calculator! 😕 The congestion caused by the speed reduction (same as on a motorway when you have roadworks) is the problem, add to this vehicles parked and unable to pass them because of a constant stream coming the other way. Living in Mid Wales which has no duel carriageways or motorways it is a real pain in the bum😕

May 25, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Legend
I've never seen any french keeping to the speed limits. If I stick to the 30 kilometres an hour limit a big queue builds up behind me.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
that would work well, fancy being stuck behind them?

As it goes, what is the life of the occasional OAP or child to getting somewhere faster?
If they wanted to save lives, why didn't they tackle the problem of drink driving in Wales which has got the highest percentage of drink driving in the UK given it's population. 😕

Feb 15, 2022
Crieff, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleeper Bourton
Exp
Since 2014
........- there is always a transition to 30 first......
This is just one of the roads where I have come across going from the National Speed Limit to 20mph. The right hand sign has been knocked a bit and you can see both sides in the image but you can also move beyond the point and see the other sid of the left hand one. The same road at the other end of the village drops ot 30 before going to 20 but this one appears without any warning and can be hidden by foliage. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1...try=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkyNS4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw==

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
I always ask them for photographic evidence. This actually got me off one speeding fine. It would seem somebody goofed somewhere in the system.
I have also done this in the past and had the charge dropped another good one is ask for a copy of the calibration certificate 👍

OP
OP
Wonderhorse
May 18, 2021
Redditch, Redditch, Worcs, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
Since 2017
Best thing is just stay away from Wales 🙂
Now why would I want to do a thing like that? I like Wales, respect the national culture of the welsh people, and the scenery is wonderful (mostly! ;)). However I DO hope the system of 20mph zones gets improved - where it is being enforced on 'some' roads/areas, it's not warranted, as attested by some earlier posts here. It HAS its place, but was railroaded out onto everyone by political do-gooders with insufficient forward planning beforehand.

OP
OP
Wonderhorse
May 18, 2021
Redditch, Redditch, Worcs, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
Since 2017
This is just one of the roads where I have come across going from the National Speed Limit to 20mph. The right hand sign has been knocked a bit and you can see both sides in the image but you can also move beyond the point and see the other sid of the left hand one. The same road at the other end of the village drops ot 30 before going to 20 but this one appears without any warning and can be hidden by foliage. https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@56.1211022,-4.1836851,3a,75y,9.92h,79.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1shgI0O3kNuJT7KIFvwuHmPQ!2e0!6shttps://streetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com/v1/thumbnail?cb_client=maps_sv.tactile&w=900&h=600&pitch=10.769999999999996&panoid=hgI0O3kNuJT7KIFvwuHmPQ&yaw=9.92!7i16384!8i8192?coh=205410&entry=ttu&g_ep=EgoyMDI0MDkyNS4wIKXMDSoASAFQAw==
Exactly. I've experienced a few of those, albeit more in the north areas rather than the south. But... when it suddenly appears round a bend, or is obscured by overgrown foliage, it's somewhat hard to slow a 3.5 Tonne motorhome that quickly without emergency braking. Graduated slowing zones (40 > 30 > 20) leading up to them would help that happen.

Mar 12, 2023
Bridgend, Wales, UK
Funster No
MH
Bursner Solarno 690
Exp
since 2016
Mark draford idiot first minister is the culprit not any councils, he approved £21 million for the change over now he's talking about allotting £10 million so local councils can change some back (after local consultation). Don't worry though we in Wales will remember that stupidity in 2 years time when the labour party are looking to get re-elected into power in Welsh assembly - We will remember them !!!

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
You are absolutely right about France and their 30kph limits but in 95% of the instances these are only for very short distances and almost always include speed bumps. Therefore not anywhere as much of an inconvenience as entire towns having 20mph limits.
The French also accept that within the village or town boundary signs the basic limit is 50kph (unless otherwise signed) without any other signs being erected.
It works, it's simple and generally seems to be observed.

Don't get me started about British push-bike riders who I distinctly separate from cyclists. So many of those on two wheels riding a 'push-bike' have no idea of road sense, requirement for lights, know which side of the road to ride, observe traffic lights, one way streets etc. etc.
Most cyclists however are a very different subject although I frequently remark that some have a death wish by not wearing high-vis clothing whilst riding along country roads in varying light patterns.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back