Beware out there folks - not nice 'present' on returning home today (750 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Wait for the " if you werent speeding blah blah blah"
Hello. šŸ˜€

I am a big fan of the 20mph limits, driver entitlement is real. Look how angry people are getting on this thread about something which might delay them slightly, even if it saves little childrenā€™s lives.

I have also been caught speeding, not in a 20mph though, it is annoying being caught, there is however solely one person in the whole world responsible for that offence.

I love Wales. ā¤ļø

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Wales is a beautiful country why do you think itā€™s rubbish?
It wouldn't be rubbish if not for the petty people that do things like this. I got done for doing 32 mph at 06:00 in the morning. I was easy prey for them. I had to go on a speed awareness course. Since then Wales is not for me. There are some beautiful parts yes, but then there are lots of alternatives.

Dec 25, 2015
Nelson New Zealand
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 1998
The previous Government in New Zealand imposed blanket speed reductions across the country, at great expense, in 2019. 100kph became 80kph on open roads, and 50kph restrictions became 30kph.
It made no difference to the death tolls or serious accident rate and only added to driver frustration which often led to them taking risks to overtake where they shouldn't.
Last week, the new coalition Government announced it was reversing all the 2019 speed restrictions and the limits will go back to what they were pre-2019.
Drivers seem to fall into one of two camps on this. The little old lady in her Suzuki Swift or Honda Jazz thinks the reduced speeds are best, the rest are glad to have the opportunity to drive to the conditions and use their skills to decide what speed they should be doing rather than have the Nanny State decide.
Which camp do you think I fall into?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The previous Government in New Zealand imposed blanket speed reductions across the country, at great expense, in 2019. 100kph became 80kph on open roads, and 50kph restrictions became 30kph.
It made no difference to the death tolls or serious accident rate and only added to driver frustration which often led to them taking risks to overtake where they shouldn't.
Last week, the new coalition Government announced it was reversing all the 2019 speed restrictions and the limits will go back to what they were pre-2019.
Drivers seem to fall into one of two camps on this. The little old lady in her Suzuki Swift or Honda Jazz thinks the reduced speeds are best, the rest are glad to have the opportunity to drive to the conditions and use their skills to decide what speed they should be doing rather than have the Nanny State decide.
Which camp do you think I fall into?
Won't happen in the UK I've never known any laws or controls loosened. Somebody would have to admit they were wrong and that doesn't happen here.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Hello. šŸ˜€

I am a big fan of the 20mph limits, driver entitlement is real. Look how angry people are getting on this thread about something which might delay them slightly, even if it saves little childrenā€™s lives.

I have also been caught speeding, not in a 20mph though, it is annoying being caught, there is however solely one person in the whole world responsible for that offence.

I love Wales. ā¤ļø
I have no issue with 20mph zones. But I would have an issue if I got 3 points and Ā£60 fine for accidentally going through at 21mph at 6am in the morning. It's things like that that cheese people off. Petty or money making. Not sure.

There are no speed cameras on the Isle of man. None. We have 20 zones around schools and they work well. They are only 20 during school times. We have smiley cameras which go sad if you are speeding.

That is a much more grown up approach than the pathetic approach of the Welsh government and their police.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
It wouldn't be rubbish if not for the petty people that do things like this. I got done for doing 32 mph at 06:00 in the morning. I was easy prey for them. I had to go on a speed awareness course. Since then Wales is not for me. There are some beautiful parts yes, but then there are lots of alternatives.
You wonā€™t get done for 32 in a 30, they practice ā€œ speed limit plus 10% + 1 anything above your done.

So in a 30 you would need to be at 35 to be done.
They do this as they know our speedometers are not calibrated.
But your entitled to claim otherwise.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
You wonā€™t get done for 32 in a 30, they practice ā€œ speed limit plus 10% + 1 anything above your done.

So in a 30 you would need to be at 35 to be done.
They do this as they know our speedometers are not calibrated.
But your entitled to claim otherwise.
Well I did. 32. I argued with the trainer at the speed awareness course and he said if I didn't accept 32 was too fast he would fail me.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
I'm sorry for saying it's a bit rubbish. Of course I don't think that really. However some of their policies are making people angry and hate it. I have Welsh decendancy and family there. Used to visit regularly and enjoyed it. Not now. Not since I got done for 'speeding'. Still angry after 5 years.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Well I did. 32. I argued with the trainer at the speed awareness course and he said if I didn't accept 32 was too fast he would fail me.
I went through a red light.

Two trainers on my course firmly informed everyone, anyone caught using a mobile on the course would be removed and get the points and fine.

Two people did use their phone, one had to be told twice.

Nobody was kicked off the course. But they were both minorities

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I'm sorry for saying it's a bit rubbish. Of course I don't think that really. However some of their policies are making people angry and hate it. I have Welsh decendancy and family there. Used to visit regularly and enjoyed it. Not now. Not since I got done for 'speeding'. Still angry after 5 years.
Let it go, won't do you any good.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
You must have a different application on speed fines in your van part of the country.
I attended naught school for 35 in a 30 and was clearly told that had I been doing 34 I would not have been there.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I live in and love Wales. How do you think I feel when I have to drive at no more than 20mph everyday and my motorhome friends want to avoid my principality? :unsure:

OP
OP
Wonderhorse
May 18, 2021
Redditch, Redditch, Worcs, UK
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E425
Exp
Since 2017
naughty boys school šŸ˜‡ unless you have some already on your licence in that case šŸ˜Ŗ .
ps that's why I don't go to Welsh Wales.
Never had any on my licence, so if naughty boy school keeps it that way then it will suffice. šŸ™‚

Apr 21, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Newbie here
I reckon the people dreaming up this rubbish are fresh out of university where they've been brainwashed. Anti car idiots. I think the only place you can get by without a car is London.
And, very unfortunately, the majority of people in a given area, voted them in

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Won't happen in the UK I've never known any laws or controls loosened. Somebody would have to admit they were wrong and that doesn't happen here.
Laws are changed all the time, we used to execute people the law changed and we donā€™t do that anymoreā€¦.Dont forget there was a vote so we could make our own laws (Slightly different from making up our own lawsšŸ˜‰)

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
This... would have been while navigating a horrible and busy forced diversion through the town at the alleged time. šŸ™„

So lovely of them!

View attachment 957189
Sorry to hear you were caught, most drivers have at one time or another, the key for this is was there a sign of 20 mph before you entered the area, happy to be corrected but if itā€™s a speed zone you only have to be notified once when you enter it, rather than repeaters every so often.

Another thought is if this was a diversion was the road or street you entered normally one way and you entered a street where there was no signage.

But whatever the speed control in place 20-30-40-59-60 if your over the limit you will be prosecuted. Fairness or ā€˜facelessā€™ committee or Wales has nothing to do with it, do the crime šŸ˜‰ pay the fine šŸ„².

Hopefully you may get a speed awareness course ( unless you have done one in the past 5 years).

Mar 9, 2023
Midlands
Funster No
MH
AS Warwick XL
Exp
5 year
I reckon the people dreaming up this rubbish are fresh out of university where they've been brainwashed. Anti car idiots. I think the only place you can get by without a car is London.
I think they design car parks too

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
This... would have been while navigating a horrible and busy forced diversion through the town at the alleged time. šŸ™„

So lovely of them!

View attachment 957189
B@$Ā„@rds, this 20mph is nothing but a money making scheme, it is the most ludicrous law ever made does nothing for road safety, it creates more pollution all these tailback at that speed, increases our fuel bills, and doesn't do the vehicle any good, particularly the DPF system,
Nothing but a con dreamtup by that @$$,#olā‚¬ Drakeford who doesn't even drive what a 1st class W@nkā‚¬r.

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming

So lovely of them!

View attachment 957189
Our local CKs supermarket has tall speed cameras on the yellow post the CKs also has a post office in the store and two months ago the had 200 Drivers come in to pay their fine for going over the dreaded 20mph.

Jun 21, 2024
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
As someone who lives in Wales, and had to suffer their neighbours petitioning for the local 20 zone to be extended (so we now get an extra minute of loud cars, sirens etc.). I have mixed feelings on this (especially as a lot of 'my' 20 zone is through open farmland).

Does 20mph have a place? Yes - especially in the local town where the tourists (so, you lot!) wander about aimlessly without a care for cars, tractors, busses etc., but it was poorly implemented as a lazy and expensive hobby horse by a few holier-than-thou types in the Senedd.

And for anyone planning on visiting North Wales, thanks to Plaid (never thought I would say that), we actually have the lowest number of 20 zones :)

But irrespective of the rights and wrongs of the policy, most modern satnavs will bleat if you get near to/exceed the limit and if you get TomTom (and possibly others), most of the mobile units are accurately reported as well.

Plus, campervans and motorhomes are not cars - we should be driving these big heavy vehicles slower.

(Where did I put my tin hat and flack jacket?)

May 26, 2016
north wales
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
moderate
It's Swansea Road in Merthyr .it will be spot on as they know how many dodgy expert's frequent the area.
Although it has settled down it was notorious for crime , car theft and such like
However saying that there are some great characters with huge hearts there also
Sorry for laughing, but that last sentence is a brilliant example of "being damned by faint praise".

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back