Best tyres for Fiat Ducato based motorhome rated at 3850Kg (6 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi All

I think the title says it all.

MOT said some of my tyres are cracking and looking at them, some seem to have real splits in places.

Looking to have them replaced on my drive but was wondering if the good people here could recommend best ones for UK all weather driving?

Robin

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
What a great site, someone actually answered my question BEFORE I asked it!

Okay, I need 109's as my rear axle is rated at 2Kg and front axle at 1850Kg
You might want to try to get a tyre rated higher than 109's.
60kgs of leeway isn't much when the back axle comes down from a 'Sleeping Policeman' found all over the Continent.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
You might want to try to get a tyre rated higher than 109's.
60kgs of leeway isn't much when the back axle comes down from a 'Sleeping Policeman' found all over the Continent.
I'm pretty sure that the tyre manufacturers have a massive safety margin and use very harsh tests.

Higher rated tyres are heavier with more bands in them, so they have worse mpg, accelerate and brake more slowly and don't ride as well.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm pretty sure that the tyre manufacturers have a massive safety margin and use very harsh tests.

Higher rated tyres are heavier with more bands in them, so they have worse mpg, accelerate and brake more slowly and don't ride as well.
They might? And there again, how many motorhome users drive their vehicles at under the MAM for their axles, particularly the rear axle.

Upvote 0

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
How about going up to 16" rims and 225 /75 much smoother ride and just as cheap for tyres??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Well, I have to say the new Continentals have made a HUGE difference in the drive and ride of my motorhome.

My old, rather cracked up tyres were being run at 78PSI front and 79.5PSI back as per the manufacturers recommendation and the drive was very hard every bump jarring.

Continental recommend 65PSI front and back at my vehicle weight, I have gone for 68PSI front and back and the ride difference is unbelievable!

So much smoother and easier to drive.

Many thanks to the group for the help and recommendations.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R
Jan 21, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
One word of warning.

I used Halfords Tyres on Your Drive service.

Guty turned up little early, rattled through the replacement of all 4 tyres and was off.

When I got round to checking the pressures, one was 36PSI, one 31PSI and the 2 rears at 34PSI.

When I got an engineer back to sort out the shite job the first one had done, he spotted that neither of the rear wheels had been balanced and one was badly out of balance!

Won't ever use them again.

Upvote 0
Aug 3, 2024
Greater Manchester, UK
Funster No
MH
Don't have one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Just done the same only six for us šŸ˜³ after four weeks round Germany and Denmark they have definitely proved to be a good choice,three peaks marked as well šŸ‘
Holy thread revival batman!
rb62 do you still rate these tyres? We are going to have to replace all four of we buy the van we are hoping too.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back